Running in the cold ...

I started running in the Spring and am finding that I'm a bit of a wimp in the cold weather. Once I'm out there I'm ok its getting out there that makes me want to jump back in to bed.

Does anybody have any suggestions on cold weather running gear ? Do you wear gloves ? A hat ? Ear muffs ? Leg warmers ? Parka ?

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    If it's too cold you're running will suffer - I run usually in the mid 50s and yest I got wiped out at 45 degrees.... not cold by most people standards but then again I didn't wear a sweatshirt.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    It was 25 today with a light wind when I ran. I'm on an extremely tight budget and I can't afford a lot of expensive gear. This is what I usually wear and I've been fine---fleece pants (haven't needed tights under them yet but I'm getting close to needing them as the temp drops more), long underwear shirt, fleece hooded shirt, fleece vest with pockets to carry my stuff, gloves, and a headband/earband thing.

It is hard to get out there--I always feel great after though.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    gloves, pants, shirt with long sleeves. I thrive in the cold weather. my best pace ever for 1 mile 11:03 was done in 30 degree windy weather. yes it's cold but I find it motivating to keep going to stay warm.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    try nike dri fit stuff for your first layer. also, champion makes a running jacket that is good.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    It was 25 today with a light wind when I ran. I'm on an extremely tight budget and I can't afford a lot of expensive gear. This is what I usually wear and I've been fine---fleece pants (haven't needed tights under them yet but I'm getting close to needing them as the temp drops more), long underwear shirt, fleece hooded shirt, fleece vest with pockets to carry my stuff, gloves, and a headband/earband thing.

It is hard to get out there--I always feel great after though.

Same here - tight budget ----> layers of what I've got for staying warm. I'm sure we don't look the part of serious runners but at least we're out there! We look at the temperature outside, add 10-15 degrees and dress for that weather. Figure that you're going to feel chilly for the first 5-10 min but then will warm up quickly.

The hardest part is convincing ourselves to just get out there. Basically, unless it's pouring rain, dangerous windchill, or icy, just tell yourself it's going to happen. My 15 yo son has the hardest time getting himself going but after it's over he thanks me for helping him because we both feel great.
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    I have ran in about 45 degree weather not freezing but pretty cold and I usually wear a base layer from target thats long sleeve and for the cold temps that also wicks away moisture from the body so it helps keep you dry and warm, bought it two weeks ago for 16.99 they have turtleneck style too for 22 bucks, i wear champion running gloves 10 bucks and champion headband that covers the ears and has a hole for your ponytail if needed. I also wear a second layer fleece sweater champion as well 17 bucks, good luck!!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    i just add layers. like i ran today with a vest, tshirt and my running jacket and leggins and gloves! im thinking of getting some leg warmers for when it starts snowing! i started running in may and so running in the cold is an alien concept! thankfully i go out with my running club otherwise i wouldnt get off the sofa!
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    I run in a Nike Dri Fit long sleeve, Techwick leggings with my running shorts, a light hoodie or windbreaker, zipped and hood up. gloves. also a fleece headband to cover my ears once it gets really cold.

My issue isn't so much my body being cold, but how much the cold air burns as it hits your lungs.
  • FitFi74
    FitFi74 Posts: 129 Member
    2 degrees here! I wear a buff and layer up - With a wind proof jacket on top.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Into the 20s, I'm fine with a sweatshirt (zip front, so I can get ventilation) over a tee and any long track pants with gloves, and a hat to cover my ears if it's under 30. I'm only chilly for maybe the first 1/4 mile.

If it's below 20, I'll hit the treadmill instead. More for the lungs than how I feel in the cold. I have a touch of cold-induced asthma and it's not fun.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Watch Old Navy for their sales on workout gear. It's not high end, but the stuff I've gotten there has been holding up really well.

I would say to grab a pair of running leggings/tights. Not only do they make your legs feel really good when you're running, when you wear them under a pair of looser running pants, your legs will stay plenty warm.

Also, they have jackets and long sleeve tops for good prices as well. I have a top from them that keeps me uber warm and a running jacket that I got from there that has proven to be too warm for me to run in because once I warm up, it's way too warm. :)

And check out Target as well. They are having some sales right now on fleece running gear for layering as well as other tops, pants and shirts.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Gap has great stuff too when it's on sale.

Everything I use has the dry wick feature, but for a "cold" run (about 47 is coldest so far), I use:

a beanie with dry wick on the inside
    cheapo stretchy gloves
    Champion long sleeve shirt with the thumbholes
    A running top with built in bra support under the champion shirt
    long running tights or running pants
    sometimes--not too often-- a running jacket made from the dry wick stuff--also has thumbholes and a fold over feature at the hands for impromptu gloves!

I bought it all over the course of the year, on sale at the GAP, on sale at Sports Authority or at Costco.
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Thanks so much . Great suggestions :)
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Helly Hansen base layer is awesome. I like to wear a nikebeanie and lightweight gloves. If it,s windy I will add a brooks wind proof jacket.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    I use skins (compression tights) expensive but AMAZING worth every single cent! However will still need a top once it comes back into winter, but we are entering into summer :) Plenty of great suggestions on here :)

But it is hard in the winter, the colder it is the harder it is to try and become active, which is probably why I procrastinated and only just started haha! But hoping that I will be in a habit so that winter wont hold me back this time around :)
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    dress as if it were 20 degrees warmer. so if its 50 degrees, dress as if its 70.

i normally wear a beanie or headband to keep my ears warm. knit gloves, but when it gets really cold mits. Nike and UA both have really great cold gear that i love! When the temps dip below 20 degrees, then im layering. Pants i use wind pants w/some kind of a base layer, wool socks and l/s compressionor cold gear shirt under a nike running jacket
  • Target has good prices on some things as well. I purchased Champion gloves and beanie (with a pony tail hole). As everyone said, layering in the key. It's amazing how quickly you warm up once you get going. If you can find a good price on base clothing, that really keeps me warm.
  • Suerhv
    Suerhv Posts: 61 Member
    I found 2 long sleeve running shirts at Old Navy (Canada) yesterday for $14 together...amazing deal I thought!

I was running at 32 (0 in Canada, lol) with layers yetserday too and I was hot! I had a regular running cap I wear in the summer, but if it gets colder I switch to a light winter hat. I had a short sleeve running t-shirt, a long sleeve running t-shirt with a hood, and a fleece sweater on top, but it was too much and took the sweater off! Other times I've had no short sleeve t-shirt, but a long sleeve running shirt, and then a thicker running shirt meant as a "jacket" as a third layer on top.

I also had thin (cheap) gloves on yesterday and didn't need them after a while. Other times I put a scarf on, and/or ear headband when it gets colder.

I have 1 thick pair of fall/winter running pants. Can't afford a second pair right now. (I will look for them during the winter sales coming up). I love them and re-wear them later in the week and wash them once a week.

Before I had them, I had one pair of running tights (like long underwear, but wicking) that I would put under my other track pants.

I am enjoying running at this freezing mark temperature... I had getting as hot as I do in the summer...