c25k grads

Options
I just started week 4 today and it felt really tough . Maybe because it is so cold outside here. Is it just me? which week was hardest for you? Also, how much time did you run outside v. treadmill? I've only been outside one day a week for each week because I don't want to run in the dark after work.

Just looking for others experiences and some hope that it won't always feel this difficult. :)

Replies

• GirlAnachronismE
    GirlAnachronismE Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have no imput since, I just started today (on week 4 as well) but I'm just interested in peoples responces =)
  • rosieratbag
    rosieratbag Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started 10 weeks ago although I'm not a grad cos I've only so far done 26mims/3.5K

After week 6 ish I did my own thing but certainly wouldn't have got this far without the programme.

Week 4 and 5 were tough but if you feel that just repeat a week, I had to do 20 mons over and over before I was ready to try 22 then 24 and now 26.

Oh and all of mine is outdoor don't have access to a treadmill. So now it's dark so long I can only run at weekends!!
  • UhTania
    Options
    I am doing the program and still struggling with running 20 minutes straight without taking at least 1-2 breaks.

I am REALLY struggling when I try to run outdoors. I agree that it might be the cold! I feel like my body is heavier, the wind kills me, and I don't feel like I am breathing right. Hmmm...I am nervous about this since my first 5K is outdoors in two weeks! Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • az82
    az82 Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm not a grad yet, but I am on wk7 now. I had to repeat wk4 b/c I found it really, really hard. The second time around was easier, though still a challenge. Getting through wk4 was like getting over a big mental hurdle for me. Seeing the change between my first attempt and the second gave me the boost of confidence that I needed I think. When I got to wk5d3, the 20 minute run, I couldn't do it on the first try. But I did run a 11:47 mile that day(!!). And on the second run I did the whole 20 minutes and I knew that I could and that I would. It gets easier. Or at least, it gets easier to push myself to do it, if that makes sense?

I've been doing the whole program on a treadmill and its been working for me. I've had to adjust my pace over the weeks. The first few weeks I was doing the running intervals at a 5.4 - 5.6 mph. Now, I run at 5.0 usually and if its a long run, I might slow it down to 4.9. Doing on the treadmill helps me keep track of this type of thing, which is why I like it. Also, with winter coming, I feel it is the easiest to sustain for the next few months. When it warms again, I'm gonna take it to the streets but until then, I'm happy with my progress on the treadmill.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    For me, Week 3 was rough, bc I was sick after week 2, re-did week 2, and then was overwhelmed by the idea of week three. The second hardest day was the 20 minute run, but I went REALLY SLOW and went for the time finished rather than the distance covered. After that it was cake.
    For the record, I started last Feb, finished in April, and now run 3-4 miles a day 4-5 days a week.

I also ran outside all the time when I did C25K. I didn't have access to a treadmill. I also did the whole thing pushing a kidlet in a jogging stroller.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    During week 3 I thought I would die...during week 4 I wanted to die...then in week 5 something clicked and I realized "I can do this!". That was last fall...a handful of 5K's, a five miler and a 10K later I'm gearing up to run my first half marathon next Saturday. Stick with it, you may surprise yourself!
  • journeytoahealthy51
    Options
    I did program 3 times before I became a graduate! Week 6 sucked for me. I did it in the summer so I could run outside. I agree that outside is harder, but I think it is because you run faster outside. You set a pace on TM and go with it, but I find my pace is faster outside. I just finished week 1 of bridge to 10k. I have developed a passion for running. I hope you do too!
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I did program 3 times before I became a graduate! Week 6 sucked for me. I did it in the summer so I could run outside. I agree that outside is harder, but I think it is because you run faster outside. You set a pace on TM and go with it, but I find my pace is faster outside. I just finished week 1 of bridge to 10k. I have developed a passion for running. I hope you do too!

I hope I develop a passion for running too! Thanks to everyone for their input. I will definitely keep at it.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    All I have left to do is week 9 day 3 Running in the cold is harder I dont know how to cope with this just yet it just now getting cold in TN but it does get easier when I hit week 5 and did my first 20 min jog I felt on top of the world I new at that point I would finsh the program it just hit me 14 mins into the jog MY Body is Stonger then My Mind gives it Credit for I Can Do This were my thoughts you got to just keep at it Dont give up on your self you would never give up on your friends family or job So you owe to your self to do your best I couldnt even complete day 1 I had to do twice and yes I have repeated many other days but I am not giving up all the beginers aches and pains do go away