Why do coworkers have to be so ....

Options
sucky!
It really sucks how my coworkers refuse to see how hard I'm trying to get my life straight, esp during this holiday season. They seem to be alll about doing as little as you can possible can to keep healthy..WHAT THE HE** I'AM TRYING TO STAY FOCUSED AND THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE MY FRIENDS!!! What do you do?!

Replies

• CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I share that feeling, they have all this crappy stuff in the office and constantly try to make me eat some of it :/
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you're talking about. What does their lifestyle have to do with you being healthy?
  • DarleneIsAwesome
    DarleneIsAwesome Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is hard to try to eat right at work. It feels like every day someone has donuts or bagels they want to share. I do the best I can to turn things down.

The worst is when I say that I'm trying to eat healthy and they act as if eating a donut or a big fat cookie won't derail my progress.
    I think that reaction is usually from people who don't have to worry about their weight though. Most people get it when I tell them I'm trying to eat right and I don't want a cookie/donut/chocolate/etc.

What I think is the worst is when you go to eat with co-workers and they all want to go someplace that has only really fattening foods. Argh!
  • DarleneIsAwesome
    DarleneIsAwesome Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you're talking about. What does their lifestyle have to do with you being healthy?

I think they are referring to the lack of courtesy from people who are offering sweets etc.

You can't blame them for wanting to share. It's nice of them, but it seems that some people need to realize that "No means No" applies to food as well.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    sucky!
    It really sucks how my coworkers refuse to see how hard I trying to get my life straight, esp during this holiday season. They are all about do as little as you can possible do to keep healthy..WHAT THE HE** AM I SUPPOSED TO DO!!!!!!

They r just jealous u r taking control of your life....Keep doing it..
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    guess you don't have those kind of friends....
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    guess you don't have those kind of friends....
    How would I know if I have those kind of friends, since you didn't say what they were doing? All you said is that they are unhealthy. You didn't explain how that affects YOU.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If they offer you something they've made, pleasantly say "no thank you!" then ignore them (if there are further offers). They're not physically forcing the food down your throat and you're an adult (I assume) and fully have the power to say no. If you're referring to them just bringing in "goodies" in general, you are always going to be faced with these types of choices in life and you need to exert willpower. If you cannot do that, then it's not your co workers fault.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hang in there Hooah! It is so hard to just walk away. Maybe you could bring a vege tray to share...and are they really your friends if they are tempting you? I agree, they may be jealous of you. Stay strong...ARMY STRONG! Hooah!:flowerforyou:
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    My coworkers showing support for my diet ;)

photo.JPG
  • Lily_1
    Lily_1 Posts: 38
    Options
    Get new friends. You will experience less resistance with like minded people. Don't judge others, just let go and move forward in peace.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Always have your own stuff on hand!! My workplace does a paid lunch for the employees at the end of every month. Needless to say, it ends up being stuff like Chinese food and the local BBQ place. I always have whatever is healthiest (i.e. beef & broccoli with white rice or lean bbq brisket) and bring my own salad, side and "dessert". I have 2 co-workers that keep chocolate on their desk year round. I either build one piece into my daily food intake or I bring a Fiber One bar or my own candy (i.e. Twizzlers or 3 Musketeers snack size). Other people don't care what your lifestyle or eating habits are. The majority of people eat at the holidays and expect every one else to as well. Just be smarter than them and you'll be fine!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker that does this. I've tried so hard to find nice ways of telling her no, but next time I'm going to skip the nice part. If I find more crappy food on my desk, I'm going to throw it in the trash right in front of her. :devil:
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    That sucks that they don't support you, BUT how you react to the situation affects future actions. If you get angry, stomp around, etc. more candy will show up on your desk most likely. If you underreact, throw it in the trash, and don't pay attention, it'll likely stop.
    If it's like my old workplace it isn't the sabotage that was important, it was getting a rise out of someone when we were all bored to death. Don't give them a flame to fan. Most likely they'll move on to a new victim.
    Good luck.......
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My coworkers showing support for my diet ;)

photo.JPG

That is seven different kinds of wrong. That's not just forward, that's rude. However, being creative, I would have loaded a rubber band with one and shot it at the person who left it on my desk after dumping the rest of them in the trash.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Nice, Kwest!
  • khotch1
    khotch1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    That's bull****! Plain and simple! I never got people that wanted you to do what they're doing...apparently peer pressure never ends! I have a habit of talking to people as if they are children when they are trying to force an issue and gotta tell ya it works wonders!!! Even did it to a surgeon that kept calling my cell phone (it was a business thing) and I repeatedly asked him to stop until I used my "mommy is pissed off" voice and that worked..works every time!

I love Kwest's answer as well! People need to get out of your face with this crap!
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I think if you've been skinny all your life its easy to say to people "oh you can eat something bad just this once" because I'm guessing for them when they have something "just that once" it actually IS just that once- hence why they've always been skinny, so they probably don't realise it'd be a problem for someone trying to lose weight.
    And people who also complain about wanting to lose weight and also try to derail you are probably trying to make themselves feel better by doing so, or on the odd occasion they genuinely are just trying to be nice by bringing in/offering food around.
  • Mr2Bfit
    Mr2Bfit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. Peer pressure is a big deal you have to just look them straight in the face and tell them no. Then walk away if they don't get the hint they will the next time they try it again. My company has food all the time for different occasions and there is rarely a time its healthy but they always push health issues on us. So just keep doing your thing if they are truly your friends they will back off.
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't work outside the home, but I'm the only one dieting in my family, and I get offered things regularly that aren't on my plan. I just smile and say, "No, thank you." The less dramatic, the better, in my opinion. They are probably trying to be friendly and inclusive. :) Good luck!