1st time for Yoga!

Options
I tried yoga for the first time and im about to die. I may have done it for 5 min and my abs have been hurting for 2 days since. I felt really good afterwords and really think that my kids could do it with me. I just wanted to get some pointers or information from those who do it regular or have tried it.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• JenniferMann24
    Options
    I tried yoga for the first time and im about to die. I may have done it for 5 min and my abs have been hurting for 2 days since. I felt really good afterwords and really think that my kids could do it with me. I just wanted to get some pointers or information from those who do it regular or have tried it.:flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    like anything else new to our bodies, we have to tough it through at first but soon the rewards start coming...hang in there
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I'M not a yoga person myself but I have seen Yoga DVD's just for kids.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Start with simple poses (downward facing dog, plank, triangle, etc). Then as those get more comfortable add more poses. What I did to get use to poses is I would use them as stretches before or after my workouts. You do the job of stretching and more. Does that help?
  • anabellebf
    Options
    I like to add yoga after my workouts - they help to calm and center, and cool the body down after more intense weight or cardio, and also help with the soreness. If you do it every day, you'll see that you'll feel taller, more confident, and moving about doing your regular chores will feel easier.
  • catnrolly
    Options
    Just go at your own pace, don't worry about what anyone else is doing, there will always be MANY different levels in your class. Stay focused on your breathing. Once you can remember sun salutations (a series of poses) you can begin to do it at home. Keep at it! I would plan for 2-3 days a week.
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    Thanks everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    What a great example you're setting for your kids to do something that is good for the body and mind. Good luck. I use Yoga blocks to modify movements that I can't reach yet. I also do lots of stretches between yoga days to stay supple and flexible for my yoga days. Those lucky kids gets an extra early start in life learning yoga with you. Bravo to you!!! What a great lesson of health.:happy: :happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Yoga made me SO SORE the first couple months I did it (every time we added a new move or variation). It's a matter of your body learning the new positions and loosening up to them. Don't push too hard... Your abs being sore are okay, but you don't want other muscles/muscle groups too sore... that "hey I worked this muscle" soreness is awesome! We just don't want that "Omgosh, I think I'm gonna die, I can't function" muscle soreness :wink: :laugh: .

PS- I've been doing yoga on and off for two years and LOVE it. I started losing weight by first doing yoga. I was all psyched to do yoga today, then realized it was Tuesday and my yoga class is on Mondays. :grumble: Grrrr.