what are you giving up/doing

Options
2»

Replies

• mommyof2kiddos
    Options
    I'm not Catholic (actually, I'm the farthest thing from. My Church doesn't even believe in the trinity, we believe the oneness) therefore I don't participate in lent. I'm really not trying to offend anyone here, this is an honest question.. How can the church just all of a sudden decide that it's okay to cheat when they said for years that it wasn't? Doesn't your teachings rely on the Bible, or is it just what the priest says? Once again, honest question..
  • MattySparky
    Options
    Im not religious and I've never participated in lent. I dont even know the first thing about it.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Lent is not in the Bible so yes it can and has been changed over time. The Sundays as "cheat" days is not meant as cheat..Sundays are supposed to be for celebrating so some people do not fast on Sundays. However some people do maintain the fast or whatever they are choosing to give up on Sundays.
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am giving up processed sugar.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Can't do it. I'm not religious, but if I cheat, I'll be afraid I'm going to hell.:devil: Might be going there anyway, but I don't want sugar to be the way that gets me there.
  • persian_dancer
    Options
    For me it will be alcohol and Pizza, both are sticklers for me.... pizza mainly :(
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Cheat at Lent? I'm sure Jesus didn't get to cheat in the desert... "I've resisted the devil thus far, but hey, it's a Sunday..." :noway: And surely if you'd cheat any day, it wouldn't be on the Sabbath?

Personally, I'm not religious as such- and because of my agnostic ways, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be somewhat.. blasphemous? Hypocritical? What's the word I'm looking for? ... to commit to Lent? I'm already torn about Christmas (I won't get into it) and don't participate in Easter. And whilst I like the idea of Lent as a form of self-discipline, I don't know if I'd feel right using religion for personal gain...
    Well I guess it's a good thing you aren't religious then!hehehee..your right...you have no worries to commit to lent! :):):) lucky lucky! Have an extra chocolate bar for me...Im giving up chocolate...I was torn between chocolate and cheese......even though i am very careful of all the food I am putting in my body..I still make time for chocolate at least 3 times a week.....My name is Julie and I am a choco-holic...hahaha...I just have TONS less of it!!!! So...i give up chocolate...hardest thing I do..but I do it..i would LOVE a lent support group!!hahahahaha......Im gonna need it!!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I am giving up....
    Soda
    White "carbs" (focusing on white flour, white pasta, and white rice)
    Milk Chocolate
    "Red" meats (beef and pork).... I LOVE beef. :sad: