Am I going about this all wrong???

Options
I am really starting to wonder if watching my calories is such a good idea. I have lost weight several times in the past and each time I ate healthy but I never watched my calories, carbs, sugars, or salt intake. I just went by no more than 3 grams of fat per 100 hundred calories on the labels. The problem is that I am a food addict and would eventually start eating not so good foods again. And I would do it over and over and over(yoyo dieting). Now that Im watching everything more, I feel more restricted, less motivated, and focusing more on food than ever! I dunno, its only been a month and I have lost 2-3 pounds. Before, I would loose 2-5 a week! What does everyone else think??

Replies

• IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you think there are emotional issues driving your eating, you should work with a therapist to deal with them. You should feel good when you have control over your life, not restricted.
  • rstendie
    rstendie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I read a study once that said it takes 3 months to break or develop a habit. So I say stick with it! You can do it!! One day at a time and remember you can come on here for support any time you want to talk about it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel more restricted? Do you mean you feel like your calories are too restricted, or the types of foods you can eat? Or do you resent having to spend the time tracking everything?
  • ladyarkham
    ladyarkham Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you're addicted to food, then you've got a more important problem than your weight. Can I suggest the book "Made to Crave?" It helps a lot with food addiction and emotional eating issues, without a major focus on weight loss.

You may also be improving your body in ways other than lower numbers on the scale - are you exercising? Measuring your waist, etc?
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think you lost more before because you weren't fixated on the result, therefore you got results. If you feel deprived or unmotivated then you are going to want to "cheat". I like the structure of MFP because before I would think I was eating healthy and not eating a lot but if you added up the calories, I would realize that I was eating too much to create a deficit and lose weight. My problem was I would eat out and think I picked a sensible choice, but some of that stuff is deceptive and you don't know until you are actively counting. lol I know that I get frustrated sometimes and mad that I have to log everything and wonder why other people can eat stuff and not worry and I can't. And it's hard not to become obsessive about food. I'm very "all or nothing". But I feel better when I work something I want into my calorie budget instead of banning it and then having a full blown binge later. I read an article before where a lady said that she would think about a cookie and then tell herself that if she really wanted it, she could have it tomorrow whereas if she said she couldn't have it, that would be all she would think about and eventually she would not have one but a lot of cookies.

I can't lose unless I count. But you need to find what works for you. If a looser program makes you feel more relaxed and enjoyable about losing then maybe you do better unstructured?
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I lost more when I guessed at calories rather than counted every one so I too thought about going back earlier in my journey. Should I say lost more at first lol I don't think I could have kept loosing the way I am now if I kept doing it the way I was before. I mean I guessed in tacos and beers and lost becasue I was still eating less and working out more than before ( not sitting on the couch lol )Now I know I couldn't ever eat those things as often as I did as still loose lol . I also struggle with a food addiction/ bad relationship with foods. If you keep at it you will do well and eating healthy will start to overcome thoughts of just eating. You have to be ready though, I tell people that if you aren't ready for a higher level of commitment ( giving up and fully changing eating habits) then do what you are ready for and build from there :)
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yes I am an emotional eater. I guess what I was getting at was that, before, I ate what I chose and how much of it I chose with out worrying about it as long as it was healthy and I worked out and exercized and it worked. Now I seem to feel restricted on how much I can eat or maybe I am just thinking about it too much so it makes me want to eat more! Dont get me wrong, I love MFP and I love the supprt here being as I am an emotional eater. It really helps!! I am just starting to think maybe I shouldnt be watching my calories as much:)
  • vcruz1826
    Options
    If you're feeling deprived you're probably not eating enough of what you want or like. On my good days (I'm still trying to form a habit), I still eat what I want, I just eat smaller portions. I love fruit and vegetables so I try to stick to that or fruit smoothies for snacking. They are healthy and keep me full longer. When I want a cookie...I eat a cookie. If I don't, a week later I find myself drooling in the cookie aisle trying to decide which box I want to devour in front of the TV when I'm feeling blue, lol. I'm an emotional eater too. I try to find something else to focus on. I'll listen to music, dance, workout, read a book...anything to keep me away from the kitchen. If I break down and have to eat something, I try to stick with fruit.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think your issue is you're restricting yourself and making big changes quickly without giving yourself leeway. Making things "off limits" gives you temptation, and you're going to give in eventually.

Honestly I think since you are a chronic yo yo dieter you should go see a nutritionist.
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    I pay attention ONLY to my calorie intake right now. Not worried so much about the fat/carbs/salts/sugars etc. I find I'm more focused and motivated just tracking my calories. When I worry about the other stuff I often never eat enough calories during the day.

However, I agree with others that say go see a nutritionist. They'll help you get things sorted out and teach you how to stay focused and not so obssessed with food.