HRM Accuracy

Options
Hi, I just worked helping serve tables at our church's dinner theatre and I was curious how many calories I would burn so I wore my HRM and I was shocked to see that after 3.25 hours it claimed that I had burned ~1400 calories... So I'm wondering just how accurate the HRM is - could I really burn that many calories in that length of time (even if I adjust for metebolic rate that is still roughly 1100 calories). There is a lot of standing around waiting for stuff to do and some periods of heaver activity but my heart rate never even broke 110.... Anyone care to weigh in? BTW my HRM is a Timex.

Replies

• u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but you were doing this for 3.25 hours. It adds up.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    How often did you check your heart rate? HRM's are only as good as the frequency you check your heart rate. If you happen to start by checking it when you have really been moving (so like 50-60% of our resting rate) then sit or stand around awhile your heart rate drops but the HRM thinks you are still at the higher rate. However, on your feet and moving, I could see you burning quite a few.
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    How often did you check your heart rate? HRM's are only as good as the frequency you check your heart rate. If you happen to start by checking it when you have really been moving (so like 50-60% of our resting rate) then sit or stand around awhile your heart rate drops but the HRM thinks you are still at the higher rate. However, on your feet and moving, I could see you burning quite a few.

As far as I know the HRM is checking my HR several times a minute.