for those people who MFP have their net calories @ 1200...

Options

Replies

• paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I ate back my net calories so far - and have lost practically nothing. i now wonder if I should avoid doing that. I think if I got even a jump start on losing weight I'd be able to eat net calories with some faith in the effectiveness of the deficit. As it is, if I am creating a net deficit of 500 cals per day, how come my weight is just not budging? Maybe for some us, there is such a thing as a rather sluggish metabolism
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but isn't it the case that at 1200 some of us have a smaller deficit than people who are taller/bigger/on a higher calorie allowance, because mfp won't go below 1200?

I eat as close to 1200 as I can and more than 1200 on days I exercise, but don't eat back all my exercise calories. I seldom feel hungry, don't get shakes or dizziness etc. I eat three meals a day and sometimes snacks.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I ate to 1,200 for quite a while, and lost well. I'm 5 7" so a reasonable height. When I first went down to 1,200 (by MFP so I could lose 2lb a week), I saved most of my exercise cals up for a spike and would then eat probably 75-80% of them - I like to have a margin of error no matter what I'm doing (I am a bit of a guesser sometimes and I don't trust some of the MFP exercise estimates/my ancient HRM.)

I found as I upped the exercise and got closer to goal that this wasn't working for me anymore - I lost too much in a two week period in my opinion and was hungry, so upped 50 cals per fortnight. This has slowed the loss, I'm not hungry and I'm still spiking with the exercise cals. I'm currently at 1,300, 11lbs left to go and as I'm at a healthy BMI I'm in no rush now.

To the guy who says you're killing yourself, - 54lb loss, healthy BMI, able to run a 5k now and unable to walk up the stairs properly before says I'm not. Do what is working for you but be realistic - if you're hungry, feel weak, don't have the strength to exercise etc - give yourself a break, you won't fail because of it.

Good luck! x
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I ate to 1,200 for quite a while, and lost well. I'm 5 7" so a reasonable height. When I first went down to 1,200 (by MFP so I could lose 2lb a week), I saved most of my exercise cals up for a spike and would then eat probably 75-80% of them - I like to have a margin of error no matter what I'm doing (I am a bit of a guesser sometimes and I don't trust some of the MFP exercise estimates/my ancient HRM.)

I found as I upped the exercise and got closer to goal that this wasn't working for me anymore - I lost too much in a two week period in my opinion and was hungry, so upped 50 cals per fortnight. This has slowed the loss, I'm not hungry and I'm still spiking with the exercise cals. I'm currently at 1,300, 11lbs left to go and as I'm at a healthy BMI I'm in no rush now.

To the guy who says you're killing yourself, - 54lb loss, healthy BMI, able to run a 5k now and unable to walk up the stairs properly before says I'm not. Do what is working for you but be realistic - if you're hungry, feel weak, don't have the strength to exercise etc - give yourself a break, you won't fail because of it.

Good luck! x

What the guy probably meant is that you have probably lost more muscle than you needed to, rather than fat.

I am the same height (5'7").... My calorie was 1200 when it was to lose 2lbs a week, but I quickly changed that to 1.5 lb and now it's set to 1 lb a week and I have 1500 calories.

Since it was set to 1 lb a week, my average weekly loss has been 1.3 lb - and I eat back all of my exercise calories.
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200 calories/day. If i dont work out, i do not eat more than 1200. If i do workout I will only eat back SOME of the calories I burn off. SO If i burn off 400 calories, I'll only eat back 200. It works AMAZING - trust me, you will be lighter the next day!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I was at 1260 when I was losing a lb/week.

HECK YAH I consumed my exercise calories to make total consumption per day around 1700.

Fuel the machine!!!!!
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Net calorie is exactly that - calories eaten minus calories burned. If you eat 1200 and burn 300 you have a net of 900. That is too little energy to sustain your body and you will end up in "starvation mode."
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I eat some of them back because my hunger naturally regulates itself that way... But I definitely do not always reach 1200 "net." I don't have a heart rate monitor yet (that will change after Christmas hopefully, hah) and based on others' experience and different calculations around the web, I assume my "real" calorie burn is usually 25% - 33% less than what MFP estimates.

Also, with distance running, sometimes I just can't reach 1200 net. After, say, a 10-mile run, I'd need to eat upwards of 2200 calories a day to "net" 1200. It's hard for me to eat that much clean food. (It would be very, very to eat it back in dessert, though, haha.) I'm not saying it's great but a 1200 "net" only puts me at a deficit of like 600 a day anyways since I'm no longer technically overweight.
  • MegMilleratc
    Options
    I tried 1200 calories and I would go over every day, I've increased my calories to 1800, I'm losing weight very slowly but I never go over and I always have extra. It also helps me because I used to have an eating disorder and not feeling "stuck" (even though no on sets my limits but me) has helped keep MFP experience really healthy and more about changing my habits.
    Eating back the calories you exercise off is dependent on how many you intake, at first it's hard but your body needs nutrients so if you eat too few you'll crave them back. I would honestly meet with a nutritionist (one with a degree, long story for another time) and make sure your plan is working. MFP doesn't tell you about iron deficiency which leads to anemia or that your body will leach the calcium from your bones for muscles if you're not getting enough in your diet.
    Hope all goes well for your future weight loss :)
  • gem_cat
    gem_cat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    my goal is 1,200 calories.
    i have trouble reaching it though! its like even if i already ate so much, my intake only ranges at 900-1100. so i grab any food in the fridge to increase my intake.
    i don't eat my exercise calories. i can't even....:grumble:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

With only 8lbs to go you are eating way below what you should.
    MFP is actually killing you slowly.

Actually, I'm a 34 year old healthy female. I lost 20 lbs to get to my goal weight and gained some back when I went off the program.

Let me just tell you that I was at 1260/day and lost .5 per week. I ate back all my exercise calories so netted in at 1760.

At 5'6" I was a healthy BMI when I started MFP and a healthy BMI when I reached my goals.

At 1260/day I WAS NOT KILLING MYSELF SLOWLY.

I'm 5'6" and weigh 137 now.

That killing statement is pretty harsh. Each person is different. Losing .5/week was pretty effin healthy for me.
  • Juleeroch
    Juleeroch Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    MMMmmmm this is quite controversial isnt it.

My calorie goal is 1200 calories and I try to stay on or just under that. I dont exercise tho - or rather I dont exercise specifically as in go to step classes or work out etc. I obviously do exercise during the day but that is what I would normally do, ie, climb stairs instead of take the lift, walk to the bus stop, housework etc. My job is sitting typing all day so I dont get a lot of exercise from that. I would say that 1200 is very hard to keep to and choices are limited. I have lost 5lbs since starting this about 10-12 weeks ago, which doesnt sound a lot but I didnt have an awful lot to lose. However although I've only lost 5lbs it is noticeable and I have dropped a dress size so that is a plus.
  • Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    When I eat exactly 1,200 calories, there's no way I can also work out - except do some light walking. If I eat 1,400 calories I have more engery to burn off 200 by walking fast. So, ya, I eat my exercised calories :wink: Everyone's body is different than the other person- what works for one person may not work for you.
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For those of us who MFP calculates should be netting 1200 calories a day (including me):

Are you consuming ALL of your exercise calories? This is such a debatable topic as I have searched these message boards---- BUT most peoples responses come from people who have a lot more calories to work with. We have so little calories to work with---so what is working best for you?
    I try not to eat back all of my exercise calories because I don't have a HRM and I don't trust MFP's "estimates", but I do eat at least some of it back. (But if I'm not hungry or tired/cranky, I "save" those extra calories for a day when I feel like I need it.) The more I exercise, the more I can eat, and it's a healthier way to do it in the long run.
    I want to know from those people who have a net calorie goal of 1200...Are you losing, stalling, gaining? I am fairly new to this site so I am just trying to understand since we have such a low caloric intake do we HAVE to eat all our calories back in order for us to lose weight healthily? As sometimes WITH exercise I am under, around 1169, etc.
    I am losing. The weight is coming of slowly, but the inches are coming off much faster. 1200 isn't much of a deficit for me, though. And don't worry if you end up eating 1169 instead of 1200...it's all estimates, and that's close enough.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    MMMmmmm this is quite controversial isnt it.

I have yet to see a topic on this subject that DIDN'T end with someone berating another over "starvation mode' or too few calories.

On a side note, My MFP goal is 1200, and yes I use my exercise calories if I want to. It my motivation for working out... I work out therefore, I can eat more. and if we're being honest here, I personally find that if I don't work out and or eat back cals... I"M STARVING!!!

I did just start trying to do the zig zag thing that I found on the website freedieting.com Not sure how it works yet as I've only been zig zaggin since monday. So we'll see.
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have had 1200 net cals since starting MFP in August. It's worked for me. I started out at 136 and today I am at 119. A few weeks I had some decent drops in weight but for the most part it's been a lb a week to a half a lb a week. I stay close to the 1200 but on exercise days I do eat a little more. If I'm hungry I eat. No problems with starvation mode or anything like that. I'm on the smaller side so I don't think my body requires a ton of food and for me 1200 is easy to accomplish with the right choices.

Tracy
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have had 1200 net cals since starting MFP in August. It's worked for me. I started out at 136 and today I am at 119. A few weeks I had some decent drops in weight but for the most part it's been a lb a week to a half a lb a week. I stay close to the 1200 but on exercise days I do eat a little more. If I'm hungry I eat. No problems with starvation mode or anything like that. I'm on the smaller side so I don't think my body requires a ton of food and for me 1200 is easy to accomplish with the right choices.

Tracy
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bump