Am I over doing it?...

Options
Hi all, I am just wondering if I am over doing it at the gym? I go to the gym 5 days a week for an hour..sometimes more. I normally walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes at 4, run on the treadmill for 20 minutes at 5.8, do the elliptical for 20 and then the bike for 10..I normally burn like 5-600 calories every time I am there. I just feel like my electrolytes or something is off in my body. I am drinking tons of water, take a multivitamin everyday and even put G2 electrolyte in my water at least twice a day. What am I doing wrong?? Oh and I eat either all or 75% of my exercise calories. I don't know what else to do differently?? :sad:

Replies

• scrappy11
    Options
    Hi all, I am just wondering if I am over doing it at the gym? I go to the gym 5 days a week for an hour..sometimes more. I normally walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes at 4, run on the treadmill for 20 minutes at 5.8, do the elliptical for 20 and then the bike for 10..I normally burn like 5-600 calories every time I am there. I just feel like my electrolytes or something is off in my body. I am drinking tons of water, take a multivitamin everyday and even put G2 electrolyte in my water at least twice a day. What am I doing wrong?? Oh and I eat either all or 75% of my exercise calories. I don't know what else to do differently?? :sad:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you could add some weight training and cut back on a bit of the cardio....it would do wonders
  • scrappy11
    Options
    I do do 30 day shred 3 times a week??
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    You've lost 14 pounds since Jan.? I don't get why you think your doing something wrong?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I could be wrong but isnt the shred cardio emphasis? weight training is not cardio...
  • scrappy11
    Options
    I just feel like I am possibly over doing it..I feel drained almost..I think Dave is right I need more weight training.. I don't know how to do weight training!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I just feel like I am possibly over doing it..I feel drained almost..I think Dave is right I need more weight training.. I don't know how to do weight training!

tons of sites for beginners...about excercise.com is agood one
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    while electrolytes are important, if you have consistent feelings of being tired, the feeling generally comes from incorrect overall nutrition (I.E. missing some key nutritional elements, certain vitamins, carbohydrates...etc). I'm not saying that is what's going on here (it's impossible for us to know without, at a minimum, having all of your information and what you are eating and when you are eating it); but that would be my first guess. If you feel worn down, it's usually one of 2 or 3 things, 1) incorrect or inadequate calories. 2) unbalanced nutrition or 3) your body chemistry is off, which could be medical.

Of course it depends on how long you have been working out like this, and how long you have been feeling "off" after.

This, of course, is speculation on my part. There are many, many reasons why this could be, and I only highlighted a couple. But it's a start. Unfortunately, because our bodies are so complex, sometimes it can take quite a while to really get to the bottom of something like this.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options

I could be wrong but isnt the shred cardio emphasis? weight training is not cardio...

It's circuit training video but yeah adding more strength training couldn't hurt. But if you FEEL like your doing to much then listen to your body. Maybe add some pilates or yoga instead of all that cardio.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    [Maybe add some pilates or yoga instead of all that cardio.

yoga is a great idea...second that one:smile:
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    definately not doing too much I do more I do shred 4 times a week walk my dog 1 1/2 hours brisk walk every day 10 mins elliptical 10 min jump rope and 10 mins running up and down the stairs 4 times a week and I am looking to increase my cardio by adding a 30 min jog into the mix as long as you dont exceed 2 hours in one go then that is fine you could even do 2 hours in the morning 2 again at night. However I would think your prob is nutrition you need to make sure you take a good multi vitamin not a cheap one as it may not even get absorbed perhaps get your bloods done and check your b12 levels amongst other things and make sure that you get at least 8 hours of sleep each night. Make sure the carbs that you eat are of the low gi kind you know the slow release energy.

Good luck
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    I'm on board with SHBoss1673, it could be what you're eating. You are burning a lot of calories, and you might not be filling your body with the right foods to give yourself enough energy to get through your workout AND the rest of your day. Maybe more high fiber and protein foods, especially for snacks, vegetables, nuts, etc. Too many carbs may make you feel sluggish. You need to figure out the right mix for you regarding carbs and protein.
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    I'm on board with SHBoss1673, it could be what you're eating. You are burning a lot of calories, and you might not be filling your body with the right foods to give yourself enough energy to get through your workout AND the rest of your day. Maybe more high fiber and protein foods, especially for snacks, vegetables, nuts, etc. Too many carbs may make you feel sluggish. You need to figure out the right mix for you regarding carbs and protein.

I would ask you the same... what is your ratio of carbs/protein/fat and how close are you to staying within that ratio each day?
    And... have you recently cut back on caffeine? I know a lot of people here would say caffeine is a no-no... but I personally can't function without caffeine in the morning - I'm not a junkie by any means, but 50-100 mg helps me out a lot. And if I skip it, I feel as if every fiber of my being just wants to go back to bed - and I can't muster the energy to get through even a short workout! I tried cutting it out and it made me miserable... just wondering if you used to have a caffeine habit and now you're living without?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I think your doing right.....you have had great success
  • Cguidry
    Options
    If you feel drained...how long have you been training? If it's more than 8 or 10 weeks, look into "Periodization"...basically taking a week or two of "Active Rest"...meaning work out every other day at a moderate pace to let your body replenish itself...all serious athletes do this...the body needs this periodically ...Also, if you work out 5 days in a row during the week, split it up instead ...Lastly, definitely do some weight training...it's great for muscle tone, bone mineral density, burning calories, and so much more...start simple with the basics and learn as you go...
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

Does your gym offer a BodyPump Class? If so go and try it. Works all muscle groups in an hour. I go 2/3 times a week and LOVE it!