Tips for treadmill?

Options
2»

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If that's a picture of you, it's no wonder you're bored walking on a treadmill.

I agree with the intervals.

For those that can, one of my least/favourite ones is:

You will need a treadmill and a separate timer

Set treadmill to 12.5km, 1% incline, start your timer
    Every 30seconds, increase the incline by 1% (you can use the machine timer for this)
    When you absolutely have to, hit the stop button and rest 1min whilst re-setting the machine (this is why you need a separate timer)
    Repeat until 20mins elapses
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi Stella!!! how are you? So you arent able to do your stroller walking now I guess. Well I dont do the treadmill but I do walk and run outside and I guess the sqme issues apply.... ie boredom and a need to make the time more interesting. I would recommend audio books or podcasts, there are some fantastic podcasts on every imaginable topic, humour politics, sports, news you name it, quizzes etc etc etc I love them I must say esp the bbc radio 4 stuff, fab! enjoy.
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I save my work thoughts for when I workout. If i have a situation to figure out or a any problem, I try to think through it during cardio sessions. It makes the time go by fast and I usually can solve the issue.
  • taqefu
    taqefu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Another vote for interval training! It's more fun and will get you better results.

If you can focus on stuff like magazines, tv shows and the like, you're not working out hard enough. You should spend your time at the gym getting the most out of your workout. Endless sessions of half-hearted cardio are not going to get you anywhere. Do a short, intense workout that keeps your heart going and your mind busy. Try it, you're going to notice your progress! Plus, HIIT saves you time, too.
  • carterjerm
    Options
    Interval training. Vary the speed and/or the incline.

I do 1 minute at a slow jog, then 1 minute at a fast run. Keeps the mind active.

This is what I have been doing for the past month and time flies by! Also I have seen my mile time improve drastically by running then walking.
  • Steinygirl
    Options
    Run sprints! IT makes the time go by faster and can be challenging. I run 3 minute sprints at my fastest pace and then walk for 2 minutes at moderate speed. I usually do this anywhere from 40 to 60 minutes.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the debbie downer here, but I will never understand why people need to be entertained for all facets of their human experience. Just a simple act as jogging/running and everyone needs a TV, iPod, audio book, etc. Whatever happened to just sitting with yourself and allowing your own musings to entertain you? I don't know. I find that when I'm jogging, I can simultaneously gain an almost meditational state of mind - think about all of your individual muscles that are working to propel and aid you in this process of exercise. Really think about them, though. Feel them. Mindfulness toward the individual mechanisms that are working collaboratively can be, not only be entertaining, but peaceful.
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I watch hulu on my cell phone. I get into a show and watch several episodes. Makes the time fly
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I watch a movie, but it is really just there in the background. I have an old TV in my garage. It only plays VCR tapes and I only have kid videos that are VCR format. I have watched Finding Nemo 40 million times. LOL
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    interval running!! it makes the time go by super fast, and a lot of times I"m so concentrated on making it through the running, that I don't even realize I'm on my last run! ..
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    another vote for intervals. you can do a set program like run 1 min or walk 1 min, or just play around with the speed / incline every minute whatever you feel like doing.
    I did 30 mins of this today and time went so fast, if I had tried to do same thing for 30 mins i would have got so bored and gone home!