playing with fire... or just MFP goals/cals

Options
I have this theory of too many options in life not necessarily being a good thing. For me, it can lead to indecision and excess. (Dating, for example ;-) Anyway, reflecting on my last two weeks of difficulty staying under calories, I had changed my plan.

My intention was to decrease guilt associated with holiday indulgences and enjoy some food with family and friends. I decreased the weight-loss goal per week by 1/2 pound, and thus increased the calories allowed per day. The idea was to not see my calories over goal every day due to the food-y & drink-y nature of this time of year. (It's all around me, even at work.)

What I have found instead is this ability to have more is leading to more and more and more.

This has been a learning lesson. After weigh-in on Monday morning, the goals will be reset back to where they were before the change two weeks ago. The new plan to compensate for any holiday indulgences will be... drum roll please... burning calories. Duh! I am so dense sometimes. The bonus of this revised strategy is to get off my behind more often ;-)

Next I just need to figure out that dating thing...

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    "For me, it can lead to indecision and excess. (Dating, for example ;-)"

Made me laugh. I so recognise that. I also recognise the problem you describe in dietary terms. I think perhaps regardless of what we put in mfp as our goals, in our heads we have a clear idea of what a healthy diet looks like, and when we violate that - even in a planned way - we can end up just thinking 'oh what the hell' and going down the path of least resistance. Like you, I settled on boosting my exercise as a way of managing my calories. Because for me, realistically, I know that when I exercise, I simply *do* eat more healthily and make better choices anyway. Even when I'm at parties etc.

Re the dating - I found this indecision / overindulgence thing settled down when I met someone I really wanted to be with. Indeed, it resolved itself very fast then. But my goodness, I thoroughly enjoyed the times of indecision! :-)
  • newarkco05
    Options
    I switched my settings to lose 1/2 pound per week about 2 weeks ago. I am still currently looking to lose 45 more pounds and the 1200 calories just wasn't working! I was starving and I found myself going over almost everyday. I decided to stop being so obsessive with the scale and start focusing on getting fit. This option is not for everyone, especially anyone who is using MFP just to see weight loss. I just want to start having a more active lifestyle and have really enjoyed the strength training I have began. I think it all depends on your reasons for switching your calories. That being said, do whatever works for YOU! Only you know what worked for you and everyone is going to have an opinion and tell you that the way they are doing it is the right way...only you know how you were losing the weight.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I switched my settings to lose 1/2 pound per week about 2 weeks ago. I am still currently looking to lose 45 more pounds and the 1200 calories just wasn't working! I was starving and I found myself going over almost everyday. I decided to stop being so obsessive with the scale and start focusing on getting fit. This option is not for everyone, especially anyone who is using MFP just to see weight loss. I just want to start having a more active lifestyle and have really enjoyed the strength training I have began. I think it all depends on your reasons for switching your calories. That being said, do whatever works for YOU! Only you know what worked for you and everyone is going to have an opinion and tell you that the way they are doing it is the right way...only you know how you were losing the weight.

Good point! I should have mentioned I was not starving initially. I am still getting the hang of all this and still have 53lbs to go. This was more of a doh! personal revelation that I thought others may be able to relate with, not meant to be preachy... hope I did not offend anyone. Thank you for insight & best on your journey too!
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Made me laugh. I so recognise that. I also recognise the problem you describe in dietary terms. I think perhaps regardless of what we put in mfp as our goals, in our heads we have a clear idea of what a healthy diet looks like, and when we violate that - even in a planned way - we can end up just thinking 'oh what the hell' and going down the path of least resistance. Like you, I settled on boosting my exercise as a way of managing my calories. Because for me, realistically, I know that when I exercise, I simply *do* eat more healthily and make better choices anyway. Even when I'm at parties etc.

Re the dating - I found this indecision / overindulgence thing settled down when I met someone I really wanted to be with. Indeed, it resolved itself very fast then. But my goodness, I thoroughly enjoyed the times of indecision! :-)

Ah, there is hope yet... for both :D Thank you, friend!