Healthier, but good tasting Ranch Dressing

Options
mrsbuzz
mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
I love ranch dressing, but the low fat or light dressings just aren't same. Does anyone have any good brandes or a dressing they make this is much better for you??

Also looking for a healhier dip for veggies too?

Replies

• mrsbuzz
    Options
    I love ranch dressing, but the low fat or light dressings just aren't same. Does anyone have any good brandes or a dressing they make this is much better for you??

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

HUMMUS...and more hummus...the roasted red pepper and the roasted garlic ones are great
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    I agree humus for a dip, but if you really have to have some ranch, then make it yourself with the packages and miracle whip- that tastes much better than the light or low fat stuff for less calories
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I totally hate the fat-free dressings as well - and I have never found one that suits my pallet. I sprinkle my salads with lemon-pepper or lemon juice now.
  • mrsbuzz
    Options
    I have never had hummus, what does it taste like. Anything out that is close to it??
  • amycakes812
    Options
    As far as dips go, I love mixing some FF sour cream with reduced sodium taco seasoning, ranch mix and Frank's hot sauce. Just add to taste, depending on how much sour cream you use. This is really good with veggies and pretzels. Dips are a huge weakness for me. I try to measure out 1 or 2 servings of the sour cream before mixing in the seasonings so I can't go overboard eating it.
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    I have never had hummus, what does it taste like. Anything out that is close to it??

chic peas - garbonzos baby! garbonzos!! :wink:
  • mrsbuzz
    Options

I have never had those. I don't like peas or beans, so not sure I will like those. Thanks though!!!:flowerforyou:
  • terri0027
    terri0027 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hummus is nothing like peas. You can purchase it at the store premade. You can make your own following a recipe online. It contains garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and other really good for you things.

Walden Farms makes a no calorie ranch style dressing. It isn't true ranch but if you can get past the "diet" taste it's not so bad.

I used a fat free plain yogurt to make a ranch dip usng the packet of dressing mix.
  • MisoSoup79
    Options

I have never had those. I don't like peas or beans, so not sure I will like those. Thanks though!!!:flowerforyou:

Yeah, I really detest beans, too... and forget eating a chic-pea whole! However, I've tried various flavored hummus dips and all of them were really tasty and the texture did NOT make me want to gag - as it does with beans normally. Don't be afraid to try it - it's really delish!
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    stupid double posts again! Ugh...:grumble:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I love hummus. There is a Joseph's brand I like a lot. Especially the roasted red pepper! YUM!

Also, you can always make the Hidden Valley stuff from the packet using lower fat "mayo" and whatever else is in it to make a healthier but good tasting Ranch. I'm like that too. If it doesn't taste like real ranch, I am not interested!!! lol!
  • mrsbuzz
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your tips and ideas. Can you buy hummus anywhere? Where would I find it in the stores, like what would it be next or isle?? thanks again!!
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I use regular ranch, what I do with it is either mesure out a tsp and dip my fork in it, or if I'm just eating a salad with tomato lettuce peppers etc, I put it all in a gallon zip lock with the dressing a shake it up, that way everything get some ranch on it. I HATE the ff junk, it's like what's the point???
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of fat free or reduced calorie ranch. I make my own at home -- take a packet of the hidden valley ranch seasoning and mix it with 1 cup low fat sour cream and 1 cup fat free or 2% cottage cheese. I use this as a dip for veggies. It's kinda strange at first having the cottage cheese texture mixed in as a dressing, but it's really good. The ranch seasoning covers up the 'fat free' taste. Yumm-o! :love:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    in my store, hummus is near the deli stuff. like the packaged cheeses, gourmet cheese balls, etc. not on the aisle with lunch meat, but in the cases near the deli.

someone described it to me as lemony-flavored bean dip, which grossed me out, but then i had a sandwich with hummus as the spread, and I was hooked. it has tahini in it, which gives it a tangy flavor. the prepackaged ones are so good that I have never tried to make it. the "plain" flavor goes good on anything, but the flavored ones are especially good as sandwich spreads, dips, really tasty.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    oh and it is not the same as ranch, but I have found a salad dressing that is really low in calories (35 per 2 tbsp) that is DELICIOUS!!! it is Newman's own Light Sesame Ginger. So zesty, so good. Yummy. very watery, though, so great as a salad dressing, but not thick enough to use as a dip.
  • DawnInOhio
    DawnInOhio Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    oh and it is not the same as ranch, but I have found a salad dressing that is really low in calories (35 per 2 tbsp) that is DELICIOUS!!! it is Newman's own Light Sesame Ginger. So zesty, so good. Yummy. very watery, though, so great as a salad dressing, but not thick enough to use as a dip.
    This also works VERY well as a Chicken marinade. LOVE IT.:love:
  • terri0027
    terri0027 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This might not sound appealing at first read. I used silken soft low fat tofu to make Ranch dressing.

I put the entire block into the blender and blended it adding water slowly until it was the consistency that I like my dressing to be. Next, I added the contents of one Ranch dip mix packet and blended until well mixed. Since tofu has no real flavor other than what you add, it tastes just like the Ranch dressing mix. I used it as a dip for my broccoli because I did make it a little thick.

I used a recipe analyzer and found that 67 grams (2.34 ounces or close to 4 tablespoons) of dressing has about 43 calories, 2g fat, 35mg of sodium, and 3g of protein.