Living next to a Pit Bull

Options
BondBomb
BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
First off I am not one of those people that are scared of all large dogs. I am fostering a very sweet, well-trained doberman. I also do not blame any particular dog for its behaviour. But as we are all aware people choose to breed ill-tempered dogs all of the time. And unfortunately if you do not train a dog like a pit or a dob they can be more dangerous due to their size an stregth. I also live in a neighborhood where having an aggressive dog is 'popular'.

I am looking at buying a house with a large fenced in yard. On one side the owners have a Pit Bull that was acting somewhat aggressive when we viewed the yard. My son is 18 months and will be playing in the yard often. Am I being paranoid for worrying about living next to this strange dog? Would I seem like a crazy person if I knocked on the door and explained my situation and asked if their dog was either dog or people aggressive? Should I even take the chance of moving to this house? Its one thing if its just me on the line. But I have a baby that loves all dogs and isn't old enough to understand that you have to be cautious with some.

Thought? Ideas?

Replies

• srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Since pit bulls with good owners can be the sweetest, most lyal dogs in the world, if this one acts somewhat aggressive, I would worry more about the neighbors themselves. They are probably irresponsible scum (even if they look cleaned up on the surface). The dog is probably the least of the problems you would have living next to them.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    since its in your head, I would talk to the neighbor...ask about the area..general stuff...see if they are the kind of neighbors you want...talk about dogs...check it out...why not? then you will have more info to decide
  • VinVenture
    Options
    Few people know that Pitbulls were originally nanny dogs. They're awesome with children, if their owners are responsible. If the owners are decent, you should have nothing to fear from the dog.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I would ask them. You witnessed aggressive behavior, so the question is not out of line in any way.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I would ask too. This is your kid and a huge investment on the line. You don't even need to directly ask about the dog right away. Just talking to the neighbors asking about the street/neighborhood and getting a general feel for them as people should tell you all you need to know. If they are responsible pet owners, I believe they would appreciate you asking and not just writing them off.

Good luck!
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I personally would be worried about the aggressive behavior displayed by any dog, but particularly of that of a pit bull; this from experience. We have very good friends who used to live in a home where their neighbors pit bull became more and more aggressive as time went on. It got to the point that if the neighbors dogs were outside, they kept their own dog and children in the house. They tried to talk to the neighbor but with no luck.

One day while the family was at work/school the pit bulls broke through the 6 ft wooden privacy fence, ripped through the screened in back porch and attacked their cats that were there, killing one and creating vet bills for the other. A few weeks later the dogs again broke through another part of the fence and came in to the house through an open window (ripped up the screen). The dogs killed and mutilated two kittens and attacked their collie. Mind you, these dogs went through the fence and an window screen to get to these animals. The mess was so bad, they had to remove the carpet in two rooms and repaint the walls.

Yes, I am aware that the neighbor was irresponsible pet owners, but when the family first moved in the dogs showed no aggressive behavior, but through neglect and irresponsibility that changed.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a good idea to talk to all the neighbors before putting an offer on any house, whether they have dogs or not.
  • saartje1982
    saartje1982 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to have a pitbull and it was the sweetest dog ever even with children. Just for your piece of mind you should talk to the neighbors. There is nothing wrong with that and it's about the safety of your child.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    I thought you were talking about this guy:
    http://www.pitbullmusic.com/us/home
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a good idea to talk to all the neighbors before putting an offer on any house, whether they have dogs or not.

My thoughts exactly!
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    Good fences make good neighbours. I am a huge fan of fencing. Wouldn't live in any neighbourhood without one. Keeps dangers out and my loved ones in. It's a WinN WIN!
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Talk to the neighbor, and most importantly - watch your son. Most dog bites occur when parents are not supervising their kids.

Pitbulls are WONDERFUL dogs. ANY dog can be a potential danger.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly!

I completely agree. Once you buy a house you're stuck with everything that comes 'with' the neighborhood. Good luck on your house buying, it can be tough, but rewarding when you finally get 'the right place'.
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Since pit bulls with good owners can be the sweetest, most lyal dogs in the world, if this one acts somewhat aggressive, I would worry more about the neighbors themselves. They are probably irresponsible scum (even if they look cleaned up on the surface). The dog is probably the least of the problems you would have living next to them.

Wow, how judgemental can one person be?

My dog barks quite agressively when someone approaches the house... but I don't think she would ever bite anyone.. lick them to death maybe, but not bite. If I liked the house, I would seriously go next door and introduce myself. Get a feel for them.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    you are well within your boundaries to knock on the door and ask how their dog is with kids. You should also be teaching your baby about dog safety; i have a dog that will tolerate kids briefly but really doesnt like them. Im floored by how many kids RUN up to me, without asking, and try to bear hug my three. And when my dog growls, I become an irresponsible dog owner, the parents are still perfectly responsible. Teach your kiddo, and talk to the pet parents about your concern, you could be surprised!
  • mccgivens
    Options
    Few people know that Pitbulls were originally nanny dogs. They're awesome with children, if their owners are responsible. If the owners are decent, you should have nothing to fear from the dog.

Very well said...My sister has (had) three pits and although people feared them, I trust all three of my young children in the house with them. She never had them professionally trained but they were wonderful. They did act aggressive when strangers were overstepping boundaries but protected the children like they gave birth to them. I would talk to the owners and make your decision then.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    <
    did u say Doberman...
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    you are well within your boundaries to knock on the door and ask how their dog is with kids. You should also be teaching your baby about dog safety; i have a dog that will tolerate kids briefly but really doesnt like them. Im floored by how many kids RUN up to me, without asking, and try to bear hug my three. And when my dog growls, I become an irresponsible dog owner, the parents are still perfectly responsible. Teach your kiddo, and talk to the pet parents about your concern, you could be surprised!

THAT is sooo true .. I have 2 small dogs .. and kids are drawn to them because they are 'cute'...but they don't like kids especially when they are in they're own element. They are quite protective, even for little tykes. They have never bitten, but they have nipped to send a message. I wouldn't ever just simply 'trust' them. That's again, one of the reason I have a fence. So MY dogs don't ever get into trouble by going after of my neighbours kids.

If kids come around them, I have to warn them about approaching. With my guidance, they can pet them with caution and in a certain way as to not tempt them to become offensive. I wish parents would educate their little ones about 'petting' or 'approaching a strange dog' etiquette .. for the safety and well being of both their children and the dog.
  • brigg9
    brigg9 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't usually post a lot, but I felt that I should chime in here with some personal experience out of concern. I'm guessing this post will also garner a lot of mixed feedback. All I can say is this my own personal experience, and I have concern here. I'm not suggesting that the OP not move in next door, and I'm not telling them to do it either. The choice is theirs.

My mother has been a long time "rescuer" of dogs through rescue agencies, fostering specific breeds because she has the professional facilities available and the knowledge behind them. She has an amazing love for dogs. Often times, too much love. Up until recently, she fostered pit bulls full time from pups to adult age, along side her own personal pets for about ten years. They're a breed that have a lot of misinformation about them. (I say recently, because she's getting up in her age, and it's getting to be difficult for her.)

Of all the dogs that I have lived with in my life, and those that I've seen my mother foster, Pits are the most unpredictable. You don't know what their personalities are going to be like until they get into their older puppy / adult age. Even then, I have never seen a more sensitive and temperamental breed in all of my years.

Some of the fault is not their own, they are natural work dogs, overly muscled and have an amazingly powerful jaw structure. There is a reason people choose them for fighting animals. Any aggressive instinct that can be found in any breed of dog is magnified in the damage that can be caused by a pit bull. Even accidents, such as the animal feeling it needs to defend itself or its territory, can become a lethal situation. I've had to deal with self-defense incidents too many times over the years. I won't go into detail, but even my mother has been hurt a couple of times. (Yes, I realize pack mentality is different, even through segregation in the same facility).

Now that being said, and again to emphasize the drastic difference in the individual temperament of each dog, they can be OUTSTANDING pets. They can be the most docile, lovable, playful and gentle dog in the world that wants nothing more than to please you, play and be there for you. They can be fiercely loyal and territorial. The same can be said for just about any breed, and again, it comes down to the individual temperament of the dog.

My suggestion to the OP is to meet the dog without your child first. See what kind of personality the owner has, how they treat their pet, and then also look at the body language and temperament of the dog. How does the owner talk to the dog? Does he yell at it, or talk to it like a normal person would to a dog? Is the dog rigid when it sees you? Is it apprehensive, does it growl or bark when it sees you? Does it retain these qualities when the owner introduces you to the dog? Etc. Watch the body language of both the dog and the owner. See how they act together. If a situation just doesn't feel good to you, trust your gut instincts. Safety above all. This goes for any kind of dog, but especially larger dogs that you don't know.

There's a lot I could write here, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of time. I wanted to post something up and offer a little bit of advice before I left for work. Good luck, and feel free to send me a private message if you have questions or concerns.

I apologize if this post causes any debate. It's a sensitive topic to a lot of people. My main concern is for the OP and their family. I hope it was a little bit helpful.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    In your situation, I would definitely stop by to talk to the neighbors. Buying a house is a huge investment that you are most likely going to have to live with for a long time. Especially if you choose to buy a home that is in a location that others might not find quite as desireable (neighbors, neighborhood, etc can play into this) it might not be as easy to sell if/when you decide it's time. So yes I would stop by, let them know you are house-hunting and trying to figure out if you would fit into the neighborhood. Ask them about the neighborhood itself, if it's well-suited to a family with a very small child, and ask how their dog is around strangers and small children. Dogs can go through fences as a pp clearly illustrated. Honestly if it were me I'd be really really hesitant to put my money and my family into a home where I have any doubts. It's a buyer's market in most areas right now, this surely cannot be your only choice for a home that would work for your family. If you love the house itself THAT much, talk to the neighbors (not just the ones that own the dog, talk to other surrounding neighbors too b/c the owner may not think their dog is aggressive but a third-party might have a different story to tell). Get all the information/opinions you can and then take it all into consideration. But above all, realize that you most likely have other choices that may be worth considering if you are not completely satisfied with the neighborhood you may be buying into.