HRM?? Polar FT60 or FT7

Options
I am looking at HRM's and have decided on Polar (seems to be the popular brand amongst the majority.) I am now looking at features and the biggest difference I am seeing between these two is the Fitness Test with OwnIndex measures your aerobic/cardiovascular fitness in just 5 minutes and predicts your VO2max. This option is on the FT60 and by what I am reading helps to give you a more accurate calories burned numbers... There are other little feature I don't know how much I would need like Zonelock and Visual and Audible alarms when in target zone. I do like the Polar star training feature on the FT60, it sounds like a pretty good tool for setting goals.. The price difference is about 70 bucks (not a negative if the feature are worth it) The only other thing I kinda like because I plan on adding biking to my fitness in the spring is the ability to ad on the GPS and and the foot pod later on.... Just wanted to get some opinions on Pro's and Con's between the two..... Thanks in advance.......

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    The FT60 is good but you have to decide if you'll really use all the features.
  • springfan
    springfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60, and have been using it since April. It is wonderful watch! I follow the recommendations faithfully from its STAR training program weekly. It occasionally asks me to do a five minute fitness test to test my Vo2max. It has been extremely helpful tool in my weight loss, and it helped me workout smarter. I have the footpod and the flowlink to go with it also. I place my FT60 on the Flowlink after my workout sessions, and it transmits my workouts onto the computer.

4329776.png
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    FT60G1 (comes with the GPS) on ebay for 159.99 free shipping. You'll won't find a better price.

With that said I have the FT60 and really enjoy it. If I had money to blow I'd go Garmin.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Double post.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    This guy writes the best reviews of HRMs: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2007/11/review-of-garmin-forerunner-305.html
    I like the Garmin 305 personally.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    This guy writes the best reviews of HRMs: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2007/11/review-of-garmin-forerunner-305.html
    I like the Garmin 305 personally.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have the FT60, and I love the fitness test, the training star program and recommendations. I feel like it has really helped motivate me to a higher level of what I would otherwise do left to my own--as I don't think I would be goal-oriented otherwise.

As for the own-zone? I have gone in and out of using this feature because my readings some weeks would be really different. For the last few months I haven't used it but may go back to it at some point.

I would highly recommend this one for the star program and the fitness test though, if the price difference isn't going to be a huge issue. I think it's worth it.
  • Maidei
    Maidei Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Have an FT60 as well. I think the features are worth the extra $ because they are very useful so you'll definitely be using them. Love everything about it, the trainer feature, the fitness test, the screen is big and reads easily, and the optional GPS is always a plus. I would say go for the FT60.
  • Maidei
    Maidei Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Have an FT60 as well. I think the features are worth the extra $ because they are very useful so you'll definitely be using them. Love everything about it, the trainer feature, the fitness test, the screen is big and reads easily, and the optional GPS is always a plus. I would say go for the FT60.
  • kristie_cla
    kristie_cla Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the FT60 and love it.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to get another one i have the FT7 and it's great but seems to register too low, doesn't allow for points of kg's in weight and if you go above the "optimal zone" it registers really low.

Plus i just lost the sensor at the gym somewhere so i'd have to buy a new one anyway