Resting heart rate/ max heart rate/ burn zone?

Options
I am trying to figure out my "burn zone". My resting heart rate is 82 (which seems high compared to others but I am very out of shape!). During exercise I am about 170 when I'm really pushing it (walking very briskly uphill) and about 150 when I'm working out moderately (walking flat surfaces very briskly).

According to the math I have seen in other posts you subtract your age from 220 to get your max. I am 39 so my max would be 181. To reach the "burn zone" you need to be at 80% of your max. Which would make mine 145ish. Is this math right?

I just feel at 145 I'm not really pushing myself. Is this just because i am out of shape and my heart rate will lower as I get more fit? Does it matter if I'm working out closer to my max? Of course my hrm shows more calories being burnt at the higher heart rate and although I am doing a lot of sweating / huffing and puffing, I don't feel light headed or anything.

Any input would be appreciated! =)

Replies

• 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out my "burn zone". My resting heart rate is 82 (which seems high compared to others but I am very out of shape!). During exercise I am about 170 when I'm really pushing it (walking very briskly uphill) and about 150 when I'm working out moderately (walking flat surfaces very briskly).

According to the math I have seen in other posts you subtract your age from 220 to get your max. I am 39 so my max would be 181. To reach the "burn zone" you need to be at 80% of your max. Which would make mine 145ish. Is this math right?

I just feel at 145 I'm not really pushing myself. Is this just because i am out of shape and my heart rate will lower as I get more fit? Does it matter if I'm working out closer to my max? Of course my hrm shows more calories being burnt at the higher heart rate and although I am doing a lot of sweating / huffing and puffing, I don't feel light headed or anything.

Any input would be appreciated! =)

60 percent of MHR you will lose weight as well. 80 percent is what you eat, 20 percent is exercise, although u must have some cardio..YOU do not have to kill yourself working out to lose weight..
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    That's just it though.....I don't feel like I'm over doing it at the higher heart rate at all. If I only did 60% (109bpm) I don't even think I would break a sweat. Are these numbers accurate for everyone or are they just a guideline for people that are already fit?
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    Options
    That's just it though.....I don't feel like I'm over doing it at the higher heart rate at all. If I only did 60% (109bpm) I don't even think I would break a sweat. Are these numbers accurate for everyone or are they just a guideline for people that are already fit?

Do you wear a HRM? If not how are you getting your numbers?
  • Roni_M
    Options
    Yes, the numbers are from a hrm. Sauntering through the house with very little effort puts me at 109.... Just checked it! I deffinately don't think that burns anything. LOL.

Maybe my hearts just weird! I do have a right aortic arch (benign congenital defect). Maybe that throws the numbers off?
  • Roni_M
    Options
    Heres an example: I just walked for 94 minutes wearing my HRM. Burned 788 calories. Average heart rate was 157 and highest was 173. I wasn't pushing it too much...didn't get out of breath but did sweat a lot. I'm so confused by these numbers. I don't understand how i'd burn anything at 109, or even burn enough at 145.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    Options
    Heres an example: I just walked for 94 minutes wearing my HRM. Burned 788 calories. Average heart rate was 157 and highest was 173. I wasn't pushing it too much...didn't get out of breath but did sweat a lot. I'm so confused by these numbers. I don't understand how i'd burn anything at 109, or even burn enough at 145.

The heavier you are the more calories you will burn, the 94 minutes 788 burned sounds very normal. Be sure to adjust your weight on the HRM as you loose weight. The less you weight the less calories you burn..bumber but so true. If you are sweating a good bit you are in a great burn mode..My son n law was a good bit heavier than me and his heart rate compared to mind was no way close his was much higher. The bigger a person the harder the heart has to work.. You seem to be doing fine with the walking and calories burned..If the HRM monitor says you burned 788 you did no matter what pace you where going...
  • Roni_M
    Options
    Ok... So as long as I'm sweating i'm in the burn zone? And as long as i don't feel like I'm going to keel over at any minute, the heart rate doesn't matter? Good to know since the % numbers weren't making any sense for me! Thanks for the info! =)