Options
2»

Replies

• crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on rest days?

By the time I take one, I damn well need one! :D

Actually, I NEED one every week, but that's just me..

Your body tells you everything you need to know, if you listen!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine to have an easy day (e.g., cross training, easy run) rather than a complete rest day.

I think it is more risky to build too fast rather than having a rest day.
  • lnorwood81
    Options
    On my rest days are actually my yoga/flexiblilty training days. I CAN NOT take a day off, if I do I have a really hard time getting back into my exercise routine.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Instead of a total rest day, maybe do some easy cardio and lots of stretching .
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Necessary evil pretty much sums it up...
  • ginareejoy
    ginareejoy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree with others...stretching and maybe some light activity...but your body will tell you when you need one! listen! :)
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Well pain is there to tell you something. It's discouraging for that very reason.

Having said that. There is a very different line between overtraining and just sore from workout.

If your only sore, but not to the point your the pilsbury dough boy when someone touches you, then you can test this rather easily by eating 150+ g protein, drinking a ton of water and getting a good 8 hours. If your not sore no more, then you know it was simply DOMS.

If your experiencing cramping, exhaustion, headaches, trouble sleeping, elevated resting heart rate, general malaise. Then this is due to overtraining. No amount of push through it will make it better only worse.

I make it a point to rest at least 2 days a week. No matter what. No order per se, just as long as they are there. And I always make sure I get my protein above 75-100g. I NEVER am sore as a result, I also never experience overtraining.