How often do you weigh in?

Options
I try to every day. I know weight fluctuates, but I like seeing results as I go. Is that weird? Oh. I also try to weigh in at the same time every day.

Replies

• emmamcblain
    Options
    I tend to do it every 2/3 weeks. But that's just me. :)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    You can't really accurately gauge weight loss if you weigh every day. As you said, weight really fluctuates. Weighing in once a week at the same time is much more reliable over time. :D
  • melissa97
    melissa97 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do once a week...1st thing i do when i wake up...well after going to the bathroom!
  • BRISAjustAltered
    BRISAjustAltered Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have the BAD habit of stepping on the scale everyday, but my weight in are on Friday and Monday. I log Friday to see if my work during the week has paid off, and Monday because weekends are the worst for me. No set schedule makes for not getting anything done, and more free time to prepare bigger and unhealthier meals or just plain go out to eat, usually crap. So I hold myself accountable for both the hard work during the week and at least maintaining during the weekend.

And like the person before me said, first thing in the morning, after hitting the bathroom
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I weigh in Saturday morning once a week. I used to weigh every day, but switching to once a week has really lightened my stress. :tongue:
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I tend to do it every 2/3 weeks. But that's just me. :)

Ditto.

I get bloated the week before my period, and then that lasts for a week.......so every 2-3 weeks is realistic for me.

Although I did wait a few days after Thanksgiving to weigh myself...ahaha
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Every day, I admit. But once a week is my "official" day.
    I'm still new enough at this to want to have quick input to stop any bad habits that might creep in.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Once a month.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Step on the scales every morning with conditions the same, but only actually record the weight once a week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    every couple of days... i have learnt how much my weight fluctuates, especially with cetain things i eat. i am also in maintenance so i keep a close eye as i am still trying to figure out the correct number of cals that i can eat and stay within my goal range.
  • sunnykt
    Options
    I really don't think logging in everyday is as bad of a habit as people make it out to be. Sure, it might not be as "accurate", it might be unnecessary. But I'm curious. I want to know everything, and I want to be able to monitor every weight fluctuation, and see how things affect my weight. Weighing myself (almost) everyday reminds me to remain goal orientated.
    http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/10-unconventional-diet-tips-how-to-lose-50-pounds-in-three-months.html -- this guy agrees with me :P
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Very rarely. My last one was 3 weeks ago. I'll do my next this Tuesday.

I measure weekly though.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale every morning, just to keep myself in check, but I only record on the last day of the month.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Daily......if I'm at home. Have ever since I started my weight loss journey five years ago. You'll get all sorts of advice and people who will tell you it should be this or it should be that. DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!
    Kaye
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    I try to weigh in as little as possible right now. Either I've hit some sort of plateau or I always manage to weigh myself when I'm retaining water, but it's been over two months since the scale has shown a loss (even though my measurements are the same or just slightly lower, depending on the body area) so weighing myself becomes really frustrating. Of course, every now and then I'm really tempted to and I can't stop myself, which just leads to more frustration.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a week. I'm fighting the urge to look at the scale every day because it's the old kind where you adjust to zero with a manual slider, not exactly good for measuring tiny increments. Also, I weighed in at 222 one day, ate salty, processed pasta, and the next morning was devastated to see 223. I don't need to be doing that to myself!

But the scale, it calls to me...
  • AprilVal
    AprilVal Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I tend to forget about the scale for a while (on purpose), I try to wait until I see a small difference, but then again, the number on the scale isnt always great, but if you see it else where thats what counts. Remember muscle ways more than fat. I think its crazy those who weigh themselves daily or a couple times a day. Leave too much room for discouragement. Its nice to forget about that number sometimes. Some times Id rather measure inches, than pounds. Just a personal thing I guess. I havent weighed myself for a couple weeks.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I weight myself all day long (2 or 3 times each day) everyday. I'm in maintenance, so it means a lot less than it did when I was eating at a deficit. But I like the information too.

I know that I tend to fluctuate about 4lbs a day and knowing that I'm never freaked out by the number on the scale. But the morning weight will sometime make me have a "cleaner" eating day if the number is at all shocking. :tongue:
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    Maybe I should explain better. I used to weigh myself once a week as recommended, but then I started talking to someone who lost almost 90lbs in a year by weighing herself every day. Here's what she did:

Every morning she weighed herself at the same time, after using the bathroom. If her weight was the same or more than the day before, she was more diligent about eating a ton of veggies and other uber healthy stuff. If it was less, she would let herself indulge a little that day. This was the only thing she did and lost 90lbs. She didn't watch her calories, she didn't make a weekly meal plan and she didn't excessively exercise.

I think it's a great way to motivate myself. I don't think it's crazy to weigh yourself every day and I don't get discouraged. In fact, it does the opposite if my weight goes up. When it does that, I eat healthier and exercise more that day. If it goes down, I let myself relax a little, but not too much. It works for me :smile:
  • Wyldcat89
    Options
    Paige1108 nailed it!!

I step on the scale multiple times per day but I only weigh in when there's a change of 1.5 - 2lbs or more. I've already hit my goal for weight loss, so now i'm just working on maintaining it. Sometimes that number is motivation enough to keep up the hard work.