Just started at the gym and would like everyones thoughts pl

Options
Hi everyone,

Just wanted some feedback from anyone on here about my diet and work out programme below. I have only just started at the gym and have never done weights before in workouts so this is a first for me. For now aiming to start off steady and take my time and let the results come in time and ensure i enjoy training.

My goal like many is to lose weight, tone up and lose the gut.

The aim is to attend the gym 5 times a week with cardio day 1, weights day 2, followed by weights etc with a rest days on sunday and monday.

Looking to do an hour a day.

Anyway would welcome any advice on the below, really happy so far with it and the gym instructors have been supportive and placed reviews in every 4 weeks to ensure i create some variety:

Would welcome any extra thoughts on my diet please - additional choice of meals etc. I do keep to being healthy and stick with non processed food.

My fitness pal suggests I need 2280 calories per day based on the below. Do you think this is right or needs to be lower?

Finally any ideas when I would see results coming through?

height: 5ft 10.5
sex male
age 30
weight: 14.1 stone

bp: 129/91
pulse: 84
body fat: 27.5%

cardio:
treadmill 2% incline - 10 mins jogging pace
rower level 10 800m - fast as possible
cross trainer level 8 - 10 minutes
exercise bike level 4 - 10 mins

weights:
chest press - weight 25 3 reps of 12
vertical traction - weight 35 3 reps of 12
shoulder press - weight 15 3 reps of 12
low row - weight 30 3 reps of 12
pectoral - weight 25 3 reps of 12
lateral raise - weight 5 3 reps of 12
ab crunch - weight 20 3 reps of 12
rotary torso - weight 25 3 reps of 12

diet:
breakfast - poached egg on wholemeal toast or porridge oats or cornflakes with semi skimmed milk and cup of green tea
mid morning snack - cup of green tea and handful of grapes or mixed nuts
lunch - tuna and cucumber sandwich or chicken salad, mixed selection of fruits, water
dinner - chicken breast or turkey with salad and 2 hard boiled eggs
post work out - protein shake

Thanks for your time reading this everyone, its great to hear from the people that have got the results and knowledge. Thanks all!

Matt

Replies

• MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    anyone? :(
  • hettylair
    hettylair Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Take this with a grain of salt. I have only been at the gym about three and a half months, but I have lost 34lbs doing it, so I feel like its working.
    I don't limit myself to a strict program. I like the idea of muscle confusion. Do different activities until you build a custom program that works perfectly for YOU, not what some guide tells you. All those other times I started at a gym and fizzled out in about a month, I did that and I got bored and never got the pleasure out of it that I have now.
    The first month I did whatever class worked around my schedule. I found the ones that helped me most using elimination. I discovered that I hate yoga, but I still burned fat and calories while I was learning this. I discovered that water classes don't push me enough, but I built endurance when I was doing it. I found that spinning is intense and I would like to be able to improve, but I got a killer burn from it. I discovered how much I like running on a treadmill, and then I decided to train for a certain distance. Just try it all. You'll be impressed by how much weight loss you get just by setting your first goal to try everything at least once. I love core classes and I love lifting, but in a supervised setting. I am not buff by any means, but I get a lot out of it and have toned up nicely. I also started to meet people that love spinning, running, weights (all that) and talk to them about how they got started and how they got to the point they are at. Then take what I can from their information. That has been the most valuble thing ever. I also know people now and they hold me accountable if I miss a day. It makes it that much easier to go.
    Anyway, I hope this helps. Take what you like from it. I am by no means an expert at this. Just know what works for me.
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    I don't really like to critique other peoples programs, as chances are I've never done your routine. I just know what has worked for me, so I'll share that.

Circuit Training - M/W/F
    Cardio - T/Th

I'll do treadmill or elliptical - 3 mins
    Chest - 3x15
    Back - 3x15
    Legs - 3x15
    Bi's - 3x15

Rinse/Repeat 3x - On Wednesday I'll do Tri's instead of Bi's and Shoulders on Friday's.

Cardio - 30-45 mins on the treadmill or elliptical

I didn't break the numbers down for your meals, but at first glance I'd say you're going to need to eat more.
  • MattArcade
    Options
    Thanks both, will see what 4 weeks makes of me and see if any slight changes start to happen. Wonca I'll probably try a programme on the treadmill for run 2 mins then jog etc and mix it up a little more.
    Always find that when i do cardio i tire to early and my legs ache even though I've warmed up with a brisk walk on the treadmill for 5 mins :(
  • MattArcade
    Options
    Thanks both, will see what 4 weeks makes of me and see if any slight changes start to happen. Wonca I'll probably try a programme on the treadmill for run 2 mins then jog etc and mix it up a little more.
    Always find that when i do cardio i tire to early and my legs ache even though I've warmed up with a brisk walk on the treadmill for 5 mins :(
  • MattArcade
    Options
  • MattArcade
    Options
  • Sandra59
    Sandra59 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Your diet program looks excellent, i would say the calorific intake would be appropriate however if you start to get too hungry or shakey I would increase. The exercise program looks great too, my problem is that I eventually get bored with the routine at the gym so i replace a few cardio sessions with outdoor jogging and try and do my abb workouts in front of the tele.

Good luck with the program, i think you will see a little weightloss by christmas and some toning up just after Christmas

all the best
  • lotty1987
    lotty1987 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    looks good huni x
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,157 Member
    Options
    weights:
    chest press - weight 25 3 reps of 12
    vertical traction - weight 35 3 reps of 12
    shoulder press - weight 15 3 reps of 12
    low row - weight 30 3 reps of 12
    pectoral - weight 25 3 reps of 12
    lateral raise - weight 5 3 reps of 12
    ab crunch - weight 20 3 reps of 12
    rotary torso - weight 25 3 reps of 12

I will comment on the weigh training since I have lots of experience in this lifting weights when I was a teenager until my mid-twenties, and getting back into it now.

The first thing that stands out to me is that you have no leg work at all. This routine would be far better if it started with Squats.

The next thing that stands out is the number of isolation moves that are part of it. What you want to do for the majority of your workout is compound moves. By that I mean ones that use multiple muscle groups. For example the squat while primarily a leg exercise also works much of the rest of the body as well in particular the core muscles. Bench presses or what I think you are calling Chest Presses work not just the chest muscles but the arm muscles (triceps) and front shoulder muscles as well. You want those sort of exercises to make up the majority of your workout, especially as a beginner. Basically look for exercises that move at least two joints.

The other thing that stands out is that your ab work is just asking for back problems. Ab Crunches are much more likely to hurt your back than Planks and Side Planks. So also rotational exercises. I would suggest using planks and side planks for time working up to 1:30 hold time in them. Then you can look to other things. If you add squats they will give you core a great workout as well.

I think that is about it for now.
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options

Whatever works for you.. if you find yourself tiring really fast, then you're probably pushing yourself too hard (unless you're doing interval training). I had this same problem when I first started running again and only later (after several times restarting my running program) that my pace was simply WAY too fast for where I was. I was trying to run like someone who had been doing it for months or years, whereas I was only on my 2nd or 3rd week.

Also, as for legs aching.. I can't say for sure, but it could be that your body is getting use to running. Just some food for thought.

GL!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You are addressing what I consider the 5 elements of attack; consider:

1. Diet
    2. Resistance Exercise
    3. Cardio Exercise
    4. Supplementation
    5. Medical Input or 3rd party advice

I change up everything every 2 weeks just to prevent my body from down regulating the results, so please keep us all posted on your progress.
  • MattArcade
    Options
    rileysowner - I'm going to cut out the ab cruncher and torso as these to me are just pointless, create too much pressure on the back. I'll be asking for free weight exercises in the couple of weeks as you have mentioned above. Hopefully see better development than the machines.

Just finding it hard to eat that many calories at the moment, eating super healthy to that number of calories is hard especially when at the moment I don't feel hungry throughout my day.

I'll be better when I see some results coming through to know if it is working. What do you peeps reckon I shall see 1st to ensure what I'm doing is working and not wasting my time?