Does anyone else prefer to Exercise alone?

Options

Replies

• angiek2322
    angiek2322 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I prefer to exercise alone..... I fart a lot while I do strenuous exercise:)
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to exercise alone. I have friends ask all the time if I want them to walk outside with me at my campground when I'm there on weekends. I always say no because I just want to rock to my iPod and not try to have a conversation.

That said, I just signed up for a 3 month boot camp so I guess I'll see how it goes.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to exercise alone. I have friends ask all the time if I want them to walk outside with me at my campground when I'm there on weekends. I always say no because I just want to rock to my iPod and not try to have a conversation.

That said, I just signed up for a 3 month boot camp so I guess I'll see how it goes.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I really love the classes I take - Zumba, spin, and body sculpt - but when it comes to running...especially long runs, I'd much rather train alone. Just me and Pandora. It's relaxing to me.
  • slimmingdownsteph
    slimmingdownsteph Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i CANNOT exercise with others unless we're just walking around.
    exercising is my alone and reflection time.. were I just stick in my headphones and go!

(:
  • hma2012
    Options
    I don't mind exercising with a friend or my mom, but I much prefer doing it alone. I feel that I try harder if I'm by myself. The past few times that I've attempted with friends, it would just turn into goofing off. And that's okay occasionally, but I like to do my best alone. :)
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Definitely alone. But then, I'm a loner!
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yes, me here! I often go on a little hike and if I am in the gym it kinda pisses me off when people are in my space... I do not want to chat or laugh or whatever... most of the times exercising is stress release.
    Don;t get me wrong, I have been on hiking holidays with friends and it was brill - when you are doing 13miles through the beacons, you want someone to share the experience with, pain and beauty ^^
  • famos00
    famos00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Right now I am so busy huffing and puffing it would be embarrassing to have anyone around.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - you get into the zone and having to talk to someone is too distracting. That said classes can be fun too. I think it's mix and match!
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm a loner in this regard... people kept trying to encourage me to join a group for my marathon training, but I cringe at the idea. The only time I run with others is when I'm running an organized event, and I don't know or talk to any of the people there with me! And I've spent weeks at Canyon Ranch without attending a single exercise class about which everyone is constantly raving - I just went for runs, went hiking, went to the gym, etc.

LONERS UNITE!!! Uh, hmmmm.... sort of. :laugh:
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I prefer exercising alone....nobody watching....so I can go at my pace and not feel self conscious (P90X). My husband always wants to come around and watch though, and then comment on how I am doing stuff wrong, but not take the time to show me the correct way....which is why I gave up P90X after 2 months.

I know he means well, but leave me in peace...it is MY hour....let me do my workout without sitting on the couch watching so I don't feel like I need to rush or paranoid!
  • semhe
    semhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    exercise is my "me" time, I try to always do it alone. this way im not self conscious and can really get into it
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I tend to work out alone because I don't want anyone to see me struggling.

The only workout buddies I have managed to exercise with repeatedly have been smokers, because I can keep up with them. It sounds awful, but it's true.
  • lasinbb
    Options

Haha!! I love the honesty. I too prefer to workout alone and not worry about scent. :) I also push myself harder when I'm alone. I do enjoy working out with Shaun T, Bob Harper, and Jillian Michaels so I guess I'm not totally alone.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I love working out alone. It's my own time to just have some peace and quiet, I don't have to worry about keeping small talk or watching my mouth or worrying about offending someone. It's lovely!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yep. :smile:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I do everything else with someone so yes exercise is my private time alone. Sometimes the kids join me, which I'm OK with on occasion, but really prefer just me.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yep, solo exerciser here! I like to dress comfy which is usually ratty t-shirt, faded workout pants and my hair all over the place in a couple of ponies :) I used to go to the gym but it was skinny girls who had perfectly matching outfits and I was self-conscience because I was a bigger girl. Now I can workout anytime in my own gym set up in my spare room listening to my own music LOUD and having a great workout. Glad to know there's others out there like us!!! :flowerforyou:

Sláinte