Dizziness issues?

Options
I have been on MFP for about 6 days. I have lost 5 lbs already and I haven't really worked out that much. I have followed my calorie requirement, but I am feeling very dizzy. Could this be from drinking too much water or not enough carbs?

Replies

• GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I could be many things. Im sure you can definitely rule out too much water and carbs. Make sure you are eating enough at least 1200 cals. When I started I had headaches and dizziness mainly because I drank alot of pop and my body was detoxing. I would say if you don't feel better in a couple days see your doctor, it could be something health related.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure or low blood sugar? Keep the water intake cause that's a good and important thing for you!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, it's going to be very hard to give an opinion.

Though, I can tell you that many people that cut calories too drastically will feel light headed if they are not fueling their body properly.
    (I have no idea how many calories you are eating without seeing your diary)
  • thetarafinch
    Options
    Dizziness can be caused by SO many things.. Blood Pressure, Hormones, inner ear infection, blood sugar issues. If you are concerned about being dizzy it's recommended that you see your doctor right away. Drinking water will not make you dizzy.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Dizziness can be caused by SO many things.. Blood Pressure, Hormones, inner ear infection, blood sugar issues. If you are concerned about being dizzy it's recommended that you see your doctor right away. Drinking water will not make you dizzy.

This. There are TONS of reasons for dizziness. However, if you've suddenly dropped your calories VERY low it is possible your body is reacting to the sudden drop in calories. I would make sure you are hitting your calorie goal. It is possible it is a blood sugar reaction to low calories. It could also be a drop in blood pressure. There are many different reasons for it.
  • dropofhope
    Options
    If you've lost 5pounds in 6 days you're probably not eating enough. That's a 3500 calorie deficit a day...
  • micah2009
    micah2009 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A common reason is hyperplasia and is usually from a sodium/potassium balance issue.
  • Vanessahogan03
    Vanessahogan03 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm eating about 1550 calories a day. I get most of my calories from my veggies. I am thinking the sudden 5 lb drop is water weight. But I have kept it off for 3 days now.
  • Paco7
    Paco7 Posts: 5
    Options
    Several factors could be in play here. How's your blood pressure (at rest and post exercise)? Do you sweat excessively during hard workouts and are you adequately replacing fluids lost along with electrolytes? Do you suffer from allergies which can plug up your sinuses and cause dizziness sensations?Have you just recently begun this exercise regimen as your system may not have had enough time to adjust to the new demands you've placed on it. Finally, are you pushing yourself a little too fast to reach a desired goal? Keep us posted.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 5pounds in 6 days you're probably not eating enough. That's a 3500 calorie deficit a day...

I was thinking the above myself. Does your diary show that you are low in protein?
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    that happens to me all the time. i assume its a low blood sugar issue.
  • dasskinny
    Options
    ya probably low blood sugar levels, that happens to me, eat more often to keep it up!
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Can't tell....Food Diary is not visible...
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Get yourself checked out just to be sure. I had the same symptoms but after extensive testing, it was found that I have vertigo.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hey, go see a doctor. Better safe than sorry, right?
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue, but I found riding it out worked just fine. WhenI joined there were a lot of things I changed but didn't realize it. Stopped drinking soda (Too Many calories), so then I got headaches and dizzyness I figured I was detoxing, because your body gets used to all the crap, and to deny it all this stuff it had been used to, well lets just say it didn't react well.I am much better now, though!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The last time I was dizzy a lot, it involved some problems I was having with migraines. The only solutions were to seek medical treatment and to change my sleeping so that I go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning.
  • elmsallmissile
    Options

Drinking too much water CAN cause dizziness if it alters your electrolite balance, although you drink a lot, if you have insufficient sodium your body cannot hold onto it therefore hypovolemic > hypotensive.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    A common reason is hyperplasia and is usually from a sodium/potassium balance issue.

This is a good possibility because that first 5 lbs is probably water weight.
  • elmsallmissile
    Options

Not if most of the loss is water it isn't