protein! arghh!

Options
has anyone else noticed this?

you go on a workout program, and they give you a 7/10/8 days (whatever) kind of jumpstart meal plan, just like with turbo jam (i'm doing it right now).

has anyone else noticed how much protein there is in the menu? i mean, it's crazy! then you compare it to the recommended goal menu offered here, it's almost THREE TIMES the recommended value of protein according to this site!

i understand protein is the building blocks for muscle, but isn't 169 g of protein a day on a weightloss menu a bit much? :noway: geez...

maybe i'm just feeling this way b/c i was vegan for so long...:sad:

what ya'll think?

Replies

• cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options

you go on a workout program, and they give you a 7/10/8 days (whatever) kind of jumpstart meal plan, just like with turbo jam (i'm doing it right now).

has anyone else noticed how much protein there is in the menu? i mean, it's crazy! then you compare it to the recommended goal menu offered here, it's almost THREE TIMES the recommended value of protein according to this site!

i understand protein is the building blocks for muscle, but isn't 169 g of protein a day on a weightloss menu a bit much? :noway: geez...

what ya'll think?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

what ya'll think?

well first welcome back to we eat meat in the real world (no offense to vegans) the protein here is low....169 might be high depending on your weight and what you are doing
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends 15% protein. The ADA recommends anywhere from 10-30% protein. The ACSM recommends 1.2-1.7 g/kg of body weight, which is about .5-1g per lb of bodyweight. It's important to take both of these into consideration. If you weigh 200 lbs, and you're eating 1800 calories per day, 200g of protein is almost 50% of your daily calories. Alternately, if you're only eating 1200 calories, 10% of that is only 30g of protein. I eat 25% of my calories from protein which is about 100-120 g, and that's slightly less than 1g/lb of bodyweight.
  • cquick
    Options
    MFP recommends 15% protein. The ADA recommends anywhere from 10-30% protein. The ACSM recommends 1.2-1.7 g/kg of body weight, which is about .5-1g per lb of bodyweight. It's important to take both of these into consideration. If you weigh 200 lbs, and you're eating 1800 calories per day, 200g of protein is almost 50% of your daily calories. Alternately, if you're only eating 1200 calories, 10% of that is only 30g of protein. I eat 25% of my calories from protein which is about 100-120 g, and that's slightly less than 1g/lb of bodyweight.

well i'll be damned, thanks for the info!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of protein.....................was wondering if that was just me...................
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

well i'll be damned, thanks for the info!

LOL No problem :smile:
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of protein.....................was wondering if that was just me...................

I used to eat a whole lot more then I do now, but also noticed that once I decreased the amount of protein I was eating...I finally lost some weight. Go figure.
  • gregoryk
    Options
    Many programs use a high percentage of protein during the first weeks then go to a more balance number. I would be careful using any program that had you eating unbalance meals for extended periods.
  • ldsupergirl
    Options
    That is the amount of protein for very active exercise. When I lost my first 50lb I was eating about 50-60g protein per day and that was very sufficient. They should be lean protein sources such as vegetable proteins such as soy protein.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    That is the amount of protein for very active exercise. When I lost my first 50lb I was eating about 50-60g protein per day and that was very sufficient. They should be lean protein sources such as vegetable proteins such as soy protein.

I respectfully disagree with soy protein....I dont want to start something but get more info before going soy:smile:
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options

I used to eat a whole lot more then I do now, but also noticed that once I decreased the amount of protein I was eating...I finally lost some weight. Go figure.

I'm like this as well. If I'm eating too much protein my weight loss stalls so I increase my complex carbs then woooosh a bunch of weight comes off.
  • cquick
    Options

I respectfully disagree with soy protein....I dont want to start something but get more info before going soy:smile:

after being diagnosed with pernicious anemia due to being vegan for so long, i feel the same as you about soy protein, but you're right: telling a vegetarian soy might not be the greatest thing on earth is a sure way to get a smack on the bottom! i remember those days!