New guy here. What now?

Options
Greetings!

I don't exactly know how to start this post, so I figured I would jump straight into who I am and what I'm doing here.

Name: Casey
Sex: Male
Starting weight: 200
Current weight: 189

What I'm doing here: Currently about six months away from joining the military. I would like to try to be an officer in the Army, but in order to do that I need to fit that "lean mean fighting machine" look.
Goal: I would like to drop to around 175, and then take it more from there, but I'll start with lower goals and then work my way up.

To be honest, the dieting factor isn't a problem (I suppose I still get too much sodium from Subway but no cheese or dressings make things pretty good) it is the workouts that have me stumped. I constantly find myself going "I'll get around to it" or "not today" which I know is very against the attitude of an Army officer so I would like to change this.

History: I used to be a very athletic guy in highschool (baseball player, had a blackbelt, was around 165) but in my senior year I got rear-ended on the interstate and it took me out of all activities for a few months (messed up my back pretty well) by the time I had somewhat recovered, I found myself not really wanting to do anything physical and had gained roughly 10 pounds (not a lot) but then it just took off from there and finally here I was, stepping on the scale at 200.

Tl;dr - Young guy needing to lose weight, get in shape, and join the military for his country.

Replies

• abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me as a friend......I am currently doing the p90x program along with some running!!
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If you have a local gym that offers TRX and Kettlebell workout classes start there. The US Military uses both of these for physical fitness. There are also several people on MFP that are certified personal trainers. You could could reach out for help that way as well.

Good Luck and thank you for wanting to serve our country!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    If it's the motivation to exercise you're looking, treat it as a job. Something you have to do everyday. Before you know it you'll be addicted to it. At least that's what happened to me. Now I find it hard not to exercise. Even when my trainer mandates me to miss one day a week. Between treating exercise as a job and seeing the results, you'll be hooked before you know it. My regiment is

Sunday-weights and light cardio 45 minutes weights 15 cardio
    Monday-medium weights and medium cardio 30/30
    Tuesday-straight up cardio 60
    Wednesday-off
    Thursday-weights and light cardio 45/15
    Friday-straight up cardio 60
    Saturday-medium weights and medium cardio 30/30

My trainer works me out on Sat and Monday. We work out together on Sunday.