Strength training with dumbells...?

Options
So I am planning on starting a strength training routine this week. The problem is, the gym at my apartment complex only has a bunch of cardio equipment, some mats and equipment for push ups and sit ups etc., and then a couple sets of dumbells. I'm figuring I need to join a real gym soon, but are there some good workouts to get me going that I can do with dumbells? Maybe a link to a website with program of some sort would be helpful. I'm browsing the internet for some now, but thought I would ask and see what others have done. Also I am still working on weight loss for now. Thanks.

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If they're heavy enough, anything your can do with a barbell you can do with a dumbbell. With the possible exception of deadlifts. And arguably the dumbbells are better. More natural range of motion and more stabilizing muscles used to balance.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Try bodybuilding.com or new rules of lifting.

There is a lot that you can do with dumbbells to get you started... and it depends on what your goals are. Different equipment is used for different goals.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I do all body weight exercises with no weights or equipment other than my body. This is the one I used to get me started:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

But search for "no equipment" workouts- you can find tons of challenging strength training workouts to do with nothing but your own body!

Good luck!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You can do pretty much anything with dumbbells!

Bench press
    Flys
    Overhead press
    Shoulder raises
    Triceps extensions
    Curls
    deadlifts
    Squats
    Lunges

To name a few....
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Try Jefit, they also have a mobile app you can use, it has set routines based on level of fitness and you can swap out or make your own routine.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Get the "Men's Health Big Book of Exercises". I have the Women's Health one and it has tons of dumbbell, barbell, and stability ball exercises. If you don't want to buy the book, at least see if your local library has it. That's where I found mine before I decided to buy it.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    You can do pretty much anything with dumbbells!

Bench press
    Flys
    Overhead press
    Shoulder raises
    Triceps extensions
    Curls
    deadlifts
    Squats
    Lunges

To name a few....

^ these plus front shoulder raises, shoulder rolls, traps, rear delts (think flys in reverse), Lats by doing bent over rows, pretending you are sawing (thats a one arm row) biceps you can do regular curls, hammer heads, reverse curls, concentration curls, etc. for triceps you can do one arm french curls or two are if heavy enough, kick backs, laying on a bench you can do one arm french (hits it at different angle then standing)
    Ecept for really heavy power lifts you can do everything with dumbells even better as it works your core more and is a more natural motion for the most part.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Get the "Men's Health Big Book of Exercises". I have the Women's Health one and it has tons of dumbbell, barbell, and stability ball exercises. If you don't want to buy the book, at least see if your local library has it. That's where I found mine before I decided to buy it.

My friend bought me this book for my birthday and it is great, they give you a bunch of different exercises with different variations that can make same exercise more difficult. It's worth the investment.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    I do all body weight exercises with no weights or equipment other than my body. This is the one I used to get me started:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

But search for "no equipment" workouts- you can find tons of challenging strength training workouts to do with nothing but your own body!

Good luck!

Wow - great stuff on that website - thanks.