dog agility

Options
I run agility courses with my dog -- it's 45 seconds of all-out running, followed by maybe 10 minutes of walking, and then another 45 seconds of all out running. It feels like more than just walking, but not on a par with real running. I can't find anything in the activities list that feels like this -- anyone have any ideas on how I can categorize this activity so that I can approximate a calorie use number?

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You could log the sprinting time under running 9mph that's listed, then list the other as walking 4mph, which is a fast walk.
  • Rtgoodk9s
    Options
    I was wondering that as well. During agility class class mates take turns. We walk the course for five minutes then run for about a minute. We do that for an hour.

Any ideas?
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Could you get a heart rate monitor which shows calories burned? Then you could just enter what the activity is and the calories burned.

I don't have one, but am thinking of getting one for a similar reason. I skate with my daughter, but it's not steady. It's fast, then slow, then stop, then fast, etc. I really want an accurate count.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sorry to come here so late, but I take agility classes too. I have a device that tracks your activity. You can get them at a lot of gyms (that is where I did) but I saw them at Costco too. So, they are becoming more common. Here is a url of what it is: http://www.dotfit.com/

Anyway, my coach at Kaiser Permanent says they are every bit as accurate as a Metabolic Rate Measurement. In other words, very accurate.

So, based on my measurements with the ExerSpy, I burn about 180 calories in a one hour agility class. Rather disappointing! Trials are much better: I burn, on average, about 850 extra calories at a USDAA trial. In a one hour interval or kick boxing gym workout, I burn about 220 calories. Also kinda sad, really.

Does that help? I'm still wearing the thing. The science geek in me loves all the data.

Good luck!
  • mardihar
    mardihar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes -- I have an exercise tracker that straps to the arm -- I saw it on Biggest Loser and loved it. It really is demoralizing to see how few calories we actually burn, when it feels like we're working so hard! I must be burning much less efficiently than you, because I burn about 300 cal per agility class. But my yoga hour is only about 90. :frown:
  • michellepilkington2
    Options
    This has helped me also as I also do 1 hour agility training each week
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Sorry to come here so late, but I take agility classes too. I have a device that tracks your activity. You can get them at a lot of gyms (that is where I did) but I saw them at Costco too. So, they are becoming more common. Here is a url of what it is: http://www.dotfit.com/

Anyway, my coach at Kaiser Permanent says they are every bit as accurate as a Metabolic Rate Measurement. In other words, very accurate.

So, based on my measurements with the ExerSpy, I burn about 180 calories in a one hour agility class. Rather disappointing! Trials are much better: I burn, on average, about 850 extra calories at a USDAA trial. In a one hour interval or kick boxing gym workout, I burn about 220 calories. Also kinda sad, really.

Does that help? I'm still wearing the thing. The science geek in me loves all the data.

Good luck!

The dotfit is the Bodymediafit.