Can I eat whatever I want as long as I stay under my calorie

Options
13»

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever i want and have lost weight doing it. I also exercise a lot so I can eat. Of course it's better to be healthier, but I have no problems with energy as long as I sleep enough. At the beginning of the year, I will try eating healthier...it's so hard.
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes, to some extent. However, the greatest gains made are from eating natural foods and eliminating processed foods completely. It took me awhile to figure this out!

Agreed! I've cut out as much processed food as I know of in my daily eating, and it's already made a huge different in the month since. I wouldn't go wasting my calories, but your best option would probably be to find healthier alternatives that are close to what you are really wanting. That way you can eat more, but healthier at the same time.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Can I eat whatever I want and still lose weight as long as I stay under my calorie goal? (I want to eat about 1,200 - 1,300 calories daily.)

I know it works for some people, but it didn't really work for me.

In the house I'm living in now they don't buy food ahead or store any in the house (aside from maybe one or tow snack items and milk) and shop every night for food unless they have some leftovers. When I first moved in dinners were usually hot pockets (2 per person), frozen pizza (half per person), or frozen breaded chicken patties (2), and potato chips were considered a side dish. No veggies at all, corn and mashed potatoes only.

I tried to watch my calories and portions, but wasn't able to lose any weight at all. I didn't really lose anything until I started getting my own food.
    Oh, trust me... I try. It's a little tiring when they yell no way, don't fill our fridge up with crap we don't eat. s:
    I guess they enjoy being unhealthy.

I guess it helps that there was a lot of room since they don't buy any food, but having a crisper drawer to store your things in shouldn't be too much to ask... I would say "Maybe you don't eat this, but I will"
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can eat whatever you want, but not all at once. You have to practice moderation and attempt to balance unhealthy foods in your diet with healthier ones to keep your macros in check. It might require some planning on your part, and it will definitely require some self-control, but it absolutely can be done.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you are wanting most... Being skinny or being healthy because they don't both always go hand in hand. You can be skinny and healthy too, but you need to be careful what you put in your body.

I eat whatever I want, but I want to eat healthy food that tastes good... So it takes a little more effort!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Nope! That's like asking if the only thing that really matters is calories.

I'd say there's a lot more at stake than just calories.
    It's best to consider what kinds of calories they are, and the other contents of the food, such as cholesterol, fiber, vitamins and minerals, etc.

you are confusing weight loss and health.

I think we can all agree that, yes, you CAN lose weight by eating whatever you want as long as you maintain a deficit. BUT, that's just not the best advice. Typically speaking, when people eat "whatever", they make unhealthy food choices. Eating foods high in sugars and fats--keep in mind, I'm talking junk food here i.e. food mostly lacking in good nutrition but high in calories--is a great way to become prediabetic even if you are working out moderately. Although, working out even moderately (walking 30 minutes once a day) can go a long way to preventing prediabetes.

You can have ANYTHING you want, but moderation is the key. You can't have cake and cookies every day. You shouldn't eat McDonalds every day. It's just not healthy for you. Once in a while is okay, in my opinion. Plus, eating healthier foods results in a lot more than just preventing prediabetes and other conditions associated with poor nutrition. It also makes you LOOK and FEEL better.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You can have ANYTHING you want, but moderation is the key. You can't have cake and cookies every day. You shouldn't eat McDonalds every day. It's just not healthy for you. Once in a while is okay, in my opinion. Plus, eating healthier foods results in a lot more than just preventing prediabetes and other conditions associated with poor nutrition. It also makes you LOOK and FEEL better.

Why couldn't someone have a cookie or two every single day if let's say it equated to 5% of total kcal intake for the day? Context is key here
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Why couldn't someone have a cookie or two every single day if let's say it equated to 5% of total kcal intake for the day? Context is key here

That's what I do. I use Skinny Cow ice cream or candy and Snackwells cookies. They are preportioned (so no fudging on the measurements!) and range from 100-150 calories. I have one at lunch and one at supper. That's my "dessert" and satisfies my sweet tooth (which has been the biggest issue for me!). When I've dieted before and completely deprived myself, I'd get frustrated and give up eventually. Now that I'm using MFP and allowing myself those small, low-cal treats, I'm having a LOT more success. It's about balance.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Surely the most important thing here, especially for the OP, is sustainability.

For me it's better for my overall health to not eat 100% healthy 100% of the time, as i know within a few weeks i'd fall off and binge. So, i eat 70% healthier 100% of the time. This is far more enjoyable, and makes it far more likely i will stay with it forever, which in turn is much healthier in the long run.

This also stops any cravings, knowing full well i can eat literally whatever i want, whenever i want it, as long as i hit my macros and keep my calorie deficit. Sure, I'll never be 100% healthy. Oh well. I'll just settle for 80% healthier and enjoy it along the way! :D
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can eat whatever you want, but not all at once. You have to practice moderation and attempt to balance unhealthy foods in your diet with healthier ones to keep your macros in check. It might require some planning on your part, and it will definitely require some self-control, but it absolutely can be done.

^ This! This I found was the easiest way ever to lose weight! It's really a lifestyle change you want to make stick, rather than a 'diet' of lettuce and fruit you're going to get bored with and quit.

I started out eating whatever I felt like, keeping the calories in range and the macros ( fat, carbs, protein, etc) where they needed to be. It doesn't take long before you'll start choosing healthier options so that you can get more "bang for your buck" with your food. I found the veggies I like the best and stir fry with chicken breast- i' d rather trade a giant plate of this than have a small double cheeseburger any day. But if I do feel like a cheeseburger, I log it and eat lighter the rest of the day to stay within my ranges. If I'm not deprived constantly, I find I can stay with this!

Baked Lays, 100 calories Hostess treats, Skinny Cow and Weight Watchers ice cream- these are all good alternatives to the 'normal' junk food. They help with keeping things in moderation and they will help keep you from feeling deprived. Subway is a great fast food alternative, but on those days when it was fast food with the gals at lunch? I used my fast food app I downloaded to see what my best choices at the restaurant we were at. This can be done!

It may not be 100% healthy, but there's no doubt it's a healthier change from what got me to 204 lbs! And isn't reaching my goal weight and losing 60-70 pounds healthier in the long run too?

Good luck!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

I hate to be redundant, but I believe I mentioned that those kinds of foods should be eaten in moderation. One cookie a day isn't going to kill a diet. It's cookies, followed by buger king, followed by fried chicken every day diets that are incredibly unhealthy. PERIOD.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I hate to be redundant, but I believe I mentioned that those kinds of foods should be eaten in moderation. One cookie a day isn't going to kill a diet. It's cookies, followed by buger king, followed by fried chicken every day diets that are incredibly unhealthy. PERIOD.
    You can't have cake and cookies every day
    no mention of moderation in that statement
  • Breed4522
    Options
    A professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University ate 500 Kcals under his maintenance level of twinkies and other sugar loaded processed foods for 10 weeks in an expeiriment and lost weight.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html