Too Poor to Be Fat

Options
2»

Replies

• TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Try ethnic grocery stores. I go to the hispanic and asian markets and never pay over $1/lb for any fresh produce, if I don't want to. They will have some exotic varieties now and then that I go for, but that is my choice. I usually walk out with a ton of bags for about $35.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Try ethnic grocery stores. I go to the hispanic and asian markets and never pay over $1/lb for any fresh produce, if I don't want to. They will have some exotic varieties now and then that I go for, but that is my choice. I usually walk out with a ton of bags for about $35.

I totally agree. My boyfriend and I shop at 99 Ranch (an Asian market) and the prices there are awesome! We usually spend about $30 - $35 dollars a person for a week of groceries there, as apposed to when we used to shop at a "regular" market where we would spend at least $10 dollars more per person. The difference is pretty dramatic.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    As a college student, I feel pretty confident that I've figured out cheap eating. Oatmeal for breakfast every day, bought in bulk. Cheap, healthy, whole grain, low cal, boom. Seasonal fruits and veggies for other meals, very cheap, roasted with olive oil for meals. Check those grocery store ads - they've got great deals on produce. Rice and chicken breasts from costco (less than $1 per breast) and combine with delicious spices and water instead of soda, food is pretty darn cheap and can still be delicious with the right seasoning. (My favorite is any menage of onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, and whatever else I can find on sale!)
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Fresh herbs are amazing if you have a place to grow them.
  • Saezimmerman
    Saezimmerman Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My list: Clothes - having to buy replacements because of fit rather than just when they wear out.
    Tylenol/Aspirin - this extra weight makes me clumsy. I have to take pain relievers for my knees and ankles when I trip or stumble and hurt myself.
    Gasoline - my weight not only impacts my fuel economy in my car but drains my energy so that I am more apt to take the car even if I could walk to the store.

Sadly your mother has to find her own motivation to lose weight, just like we all did. The best you can do is support her when the time comes.

--Disclaimers: 1) the next part is just for fun. 2) I am an accountant and I can't help it.--

Now for the two issues I saw with your mothers arguement regarding cookies. First, what do you get for $2 in plums? 210 calories, 7 grams of dietary fiber, and 44 mg of Vitamin C. What do you get for $2 in cookies? (assumes generic sandwich cookie) 2385 calories, 0 grams of dietary fiber, and 0 mg of Vitamin C Essentially you pay for empty calories.

Second, cookies are not a necessity. If someone is trying to argue that they can not afford to buy healthy groceries, I will happily point them to the aisle with the dried beans and bags of rice. $2 in beans and rice (one bag each) 2700 calories, 96 grams of dietary fiber, 8.4 mg of Vitamin C. (I realize I am ignoring the cost of the onion, garlic and diced tomatoes that make it taste good but you get my point.)
  • december8teen
    Options
    This reminds me of a scenario of myself and my housemates. Generally whenever I'm around, the fridge is full of fruits and tubs of yogurts which costs me more than $30 on just that. And on the other hand, they got Oreos and KitKats off the shelf at $1 each when it's on sale.

It definitely sounds like they had the "better" deal at first glance, but like you said, it's the consequences of having junks that is eventually going to cost more. And yea, it's the health of our body that is at stake.
  • december8teen
    Options
    Plums at $2 a pound doesn't sound expensive to me, that's how expensive they would be in the middle of their season in Australia when they are in plentiful supply. However, everything is so gosh darn expensive in Australia.... mumble grumble serum I can get on the internet for less than $50 is $135 from the beautician's down the road...

Word. Why is everything in Australia so expensive? Yikes!
  • IvoryParchment
    Options
    Yogurt is just overpriced milk. Get a yogurt incubator and make your own. I did a lot of that when I had no money. Sandwiches with sliced hardboiled eggs were cheap. I froze my milk in a plastic container and carried it in a bag lunch.

Flavorings for beans can be cheap if you use bulk spices. And onions are cheap. Just boil the beans or lentils in salted water, and saute onions and/or spices in cooking oil to pour over them right before serving.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Pants. It was cheaper to lose weight than buy all new pants (and to replace the pants that my bottom literally burst through. While I was out in public).

There are tons of cheap, healthy foods! You can buy a big bag of rice or dried beans for just a couple of bucks, and it will last awhile. In regards to fruits/veggies, buy seasonal! And check your store circulars before you go so that you can plan ahead. If you have a farmers market near you, try going at the end of the day - vendors are more willing to negotiate for lower prices.

For everything else, always check the price per oz. Usually it's cheaper to buy the larger containers of food (yogurt, milk, cheese, etc), but sometimes when smaller containers are on sale (or if you have a coupon!), that can be a better deal.
  • IvoryParchment
    Options
    For everything else, always check the price per oz. Usually it's cheaper to buy the larger containers of food (yogurt, milk, cheese, etc), but sometimes when smaller containers are on sale (or if you have a coupon!), that can be a better deal.

lol, my dad the engineer used to bring a slide rule to the supermarket to find out which packages were cheaper in the smaller sizes. The other dads would watch him and buy what he bought. Glad the markets have the price per unit posted on the shelves now!
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think some people see fresh food as too expensive, because they buy it on top of junk food instead of using it to replace the junk food. I am in Canada, but using my weekly safeway & superstore flyers:

12 pack Coke - $3.33 + Chips $2.50 = $5.83
    Instead of spending $5.83 on junk you could ONE of the following.

10 Activia Yogurt ($0.57 ea)
    2 bags of Green Giant Frozen Vegtables ($3 each)
    2 Pints of Blueberries ($2.99 each)
    9lbs of fresh mandarin oranges ($4.98)
    2 Pinapples
    6 Pomegrates
    8.8lb of sweet potatos
    1.4lb of fresh asparagus
    4lb of Fresh Broccoli Crowns
    3 lb of Fresh Papaya