Healthy Alternatives

Options
Hi, I joined MFP about a year ago, but I've only recently started keeping it up. I have been eating unhealthy foods, but just enough to be under my calorie limit and then exercising and so far I have lost 12 lbs. I know I have to stay low on sodium and fat (etc.) and not just calories. I think that I have gotten the rhythm down, I just need some ideas of some healthy alternatives for lunch and snacks, etc. I could really use some ideas of some things to pack for a lunch. Got any?

Replies

• JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    Fruits
    Vegetables with Hummus
    Nuts

Those are my snacks.
  • oliviak2012
    Options
    Thanks, I've been thinking about trying a turkey wrap or something along those lines, with some grapes or something for lunch.
  • dat5053
    dat5053 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch to take to school twice a week. Salads are usually the easiest thing to pack and you can put whatever you want on it so it doesn't get boring. I also pack hard boiled eggs, oatmeal with peanut butter and cinnamon, leftovers from dinner the night before, fruit (grapes, apples, grapefruit), wraps and sandwiches are also easy. String cheese, nuts, and fruit are good for snacks.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I cook on Sundays and divide into bowls so that I have things to take to work that I can just grab and go. I cook brown rice, grilled chicken, soups, gumbo, etc. It's easy to just grab and bowl and heat.

I also take packages of oatmeal.

If you don't have access to a microwave, I have taken flat bread with turkey and veggies in it. I keep a small bowl on my desk, but out if site, with fruit in it that I can just grab and go. Frozen fruit is good to take too. I have just discovered eating it frozen. Oh, my,yummy...berries!!! Small boxes of raisins keep me going. Rice cakes.
  • JulieSchreier
    Options
    Air popped popcorn
    Nuts
    Fruit
    Low fat yoghurt
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Cooking Light is my cooking bible... I eat full healthy meals and make enough for leftovers. I truly believe this is why I am not very hungry between meals. But when I am, I usually have some granola or string cheese... Feel free to add me and have a look at my diary!