will eating back your exercises calories benefit you.

Options
when i filled out my goals ~I said that I would be working out 7 days a week for about 60 minutes and want to lose 1 pound a week. It says I should eat 1580 calories a day when working out 7 days a week. Should I just eat 1580 calories a day or should I eat some of my calories that I burned off at the gym as well. Has anyone seen weight loss when they eat back all of there exercise calories.

ex: 1580+ 500~burned at the gym= 2080 calories a day.

should i still only eat the 1580 even if I workout 7 days a week or eat some of my exercise calories back

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    The calorie goal that MFP calculates for you actually does NOT include the exercise that you said you are going to do. It is based off of your BMR (calculated from height, weight, and age) and your activity level only. It does not include that extra exercise that you pledged to engage in. MFP only counts that exercise when you actually *do* it and log it on the site.

MFP gives you a calorie goal that will allow you to lose weight even if you don't exercise. Basically, you tell it 'hey I'm going to work out 7 days a week' and MFP says 'yeah, right, sure, I'll believe it when I see it - how about you just eat XXX and if you DO exercise, THEN we'll talk'. LOL So when you actually log in a workout, MFP is like 'dang, you know I totally didn't see that coming, I thought you were messing with me. Well, I gave you a goal that put you at a deficit already, so now that you've blown my mind and actually worked out, well now you need some extra energy so how about you go have a snack'. That's why it adds extra calories to your goal for the day when you log in a workout. You said you were going to exercise, it didn't believe you and told you what to eat in order to be able to lose weight even if you didn't do what you said you were going to do. Then when you did it, MFP adjusted your calorie goal up so that you would still have the same deficit that you originally requested.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Basically, you tell it 'hey I'm going to work out 7 days a week' and MFP says 'yeah, right, sure, I'll believe it when I see it - how about you just eat XXX and if you DO exercise, THEN we'll talk'. LOL So when you actually log in a workout, MFP is like 'dang, you know I totally didn't see that coming, I thought you were messing with me. Well, I gave you a goal that put you at a deficit already, so now that you've blown my mind and actually worked out, well now you need some extra energy so how about you go have a snack'. That's why it adds extra calories to your goal for the day when you log in a workout. You said you were going to exercise, it didn't believe you and told you what to eat in order to be able to lose weight even if you didn't do what you said you were going to do. Then when you did it, MFP adjusted your calorie goal up so that you would still have the same deficit that you originally requested.

Love the personality you just gave MFP. Lol!
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will benefit you by fueling your body for your workouts. Yes, I eat my exercise calories and have lost 63 pounds so far.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Basically, you tell it 'hey I'm going to work out 7 days a week' and MFP says 'yeah, right, sure, I'll believe it when I see it - how about you just eat XXX and if you DO exercise, THEN we'll talk'. LOL So when you actually log in a workout, MFP is like 'dang, you know I totally didn't see that coming, I thought you were messing with me. Well, I gave you a goal that put you at a deficit already, so now that you've blown my mind and actually worked out, well now you need some extra energy so how about you go have a snack'. That's why it adds extra calories to your goal for the day when you log in a workout. You said you were going to exercise, it didn't believe you and told you what to eat in order to be able to lose weight even if you didn't do what you said you were going to do. Then when you did it, MFP adjusted your calorie goal up so that you would still have the same deficit that you originally requested.

Haha +1

• jenniferhiggins
    jenniferhiggins Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    CMmrsfloyd Selector: I have been wondering this for sooo long. Thank you so much for answering this:)

The calorie goal that MFP calculates for you actually does NOT include the exercise that you said you are going to do. It is based off of your BMR (calculated from height, weight, and age) and your activity level only. It does not include that extra exercise that you pledged to engage in. MFP only counts that exercise when you actually *do* it and log it on the site.
  • jenniferhiggins
    jenniferhiggins Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have been wanting to know this answer for the longest time. Happy Holiday's.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    You are very welcome and Happy Holidays to you, too. :-)
  • dragonsfaerie
    Options
    As long as you number is green at the end of the day you're good. Just remember to log your exercise honestly. Peace.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    ex: 1580+ 500~burned at the gym= 2080 calories a day.
    Yes. Eat 2080 calories that day.

See my ticker. I eat back my calories 95%+ of the time.
    (technically, I try to be within 100 +- and it averages out, but ideally, I aim for the net calorie target)
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

MFP gives you a calorie goal that will allow you to lose weight even if you don't exercise. Basically, you tell it 'hey I'm going to work out 7 days a week' and MFP says 'yeah, right, sure, I'll believe it when I see it - how about you just eat XXX and if you DO exercise, THEN we'll talk'. LOL So when you actually log in a workout, MFP is like 'dang, you know I totally didn't see that coming, I thought you were messing with me. Well, I gave you a goal that put you at a deficit already, so now that you've blown my mind and actually worked out, well now you need some extra energy so how about you go have a snack'. That's why it adds extra calories to your goal for the day when you log in a workout. You said you were going to exercise, it didn't believe you and told you what to eat in order to be able to lose weight even if you didn't do what you said you were going to do. Then when you did it, MFP adjusted your calorie goal up so that you would still have the same deficit that you originally requested.

I wish I would had read your insight on this subject when I first started MFP back in March. You broke it down in "easy to understand terms" thank you:bigsmile:
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Haha +1

Hahaha +2......actually they should have MFP FAQ's and they should put this in the answer box =)
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten mine back.... and I've lost 49 lbs so far...
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat mine and the weight was dropping off, last couple months ive eaten them back and ive hit a plateaux!! =/
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Horses for courses, it is mostly trial and error, i eat mine back as i feel like rubbish if i do not. So i am with everyone in saying eat them back. But i do know others who dont't and some plateu and others still loose.

Oh and LOVED the break down on how MPF works :D
  • simple82
    simple82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Great explanation :laugh:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    The one danger with eating back your exercise calories is it's very easy to overestimate how much you actually burned. Make sure you use a HRM, and not the calories burned reading from either the machines or MFP, and remember to deduct what you would have burned anyway.

I.e. Your HRM says you burned 1000 calories in those 2 hours. Deduct what you would have burned in those 2 hours doing nothing. To get this divide your BMR by 24, that's how many calories you would have burned anyway in an hour. Times that by 2, and deduct it from the burn you did. For me, that'll be around 1000-150 = 850 cals to eat back.
  • Pooker89
    Pooker89 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Baha best explination ever. Love it! :tongue:
  • amberpryor
    Options
    I'd like some more clarification on this. When I told MFP that I would do NO exercise, it gave me a daily calorie goal of 1240. Once I changed my goals to 30-minute workouts 5 times a week, it upped my goal to 1380. Then it STILL adds in my exercise calories. So I am confused about whether or not I should eat back all of the exercise calories when MFP has already added some in. Is it better to tell MFP that you're not going to exercise at all? What's the deal?
  • amberpryor
    Options
    You know what? Maybe I changed my activity level or something. I just went back in and played with it, and the exercise is not affecting my calorie count. Sorry about that!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    You know what? Maybe I changed my activity level or something. I just went back in and played with it, and the exercise is not affecting my calorie count. Sorry about that!

Yep, MFP will change up your goals if you change your activity level. Also, for every 10 lbs you lose, it will prompt you to adjust your settings/goals to reflect your new weight. (since your smaller weight requires less calories for maintenance)

One thing to be mindful of is do NOT count that extra exercise as part of your activity level if you plan to log your specific exercise calories. For example, if you would generally consider yourself sedentary but you've started exercising more and decide to bump up your activity level to 'lightly active' or 'active', that means you're counting your exercise in your activity level and MFP is giving you extra calories for it. If you were to log your exercise calories in your exercise diary in ADDITION to having counted it when you decided on your activity level, you'll end up with MFP giving you those calories twice (once when you counted it as part of your activity level and once when you actually logged the exercise). If you were to THEN eat your exercise calories on top of your goal calculated from your activity level, you might actually end up over-eating. If you plan to log your exercise calories for the purpose of eating them, DO NOT count that exercise when you're deciding on your activity level. My general daily activity is pretty sedentary if I don't count my specific exercise. So I have my activity level set to 'sedentary' and then I log my exercise and can confidently eat my exercise calories since I know I'm only counting them once.