Race Costs

Options
polar135
polar135 Posts: 319 Member
I love to race.

Only issue i have with it is how much they charge.

$37 dollars for a 10K if you sign up early. BLAH. That's just to much.

I don't need another tshirt.

Ok done now.

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I agree...especially as a college student! :(
  • mderr90
    mderr90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Agreed..but a lot of the races i'm in, most of the $$ goes to a charity so it makes me feel better :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I joined a local running club and for annual membership fee of $35.00 I can run the club races for free and they have at least 20 a year.

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I agree...especially as a college student! :(

Ditto....!

I told people this year -- no presents! But if they DO wanna get me something....I want money for races.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Well, as I see it, there are a lot of other reasons to "race" besides the awesome t-shirt. For some people, that looming event provides incentive to train. A challenge can be a really nice motivator for some people.

For example, a friend has a marathon on her bucket list. I personally don't want to run a marathon. But I have run several halfs...and I think I could do a half again even though hit has been over 10 years. The one we are considering is at the end of April and involves travel and hotels. But there is something about doing a half (and for her a full) marathon that will motivate me and get me out running through the cooler winter months...when I maybe would talk myself out of running otherwise. So...for $37 or whatever the entry fee is, I think I'm getting more than a t-shirt.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I agree! Some races like the hell run or other mud runs make sense to pay for, but usually I figure I can run for free if I want to and don't feel the need to pay $25+ to run...
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Agreed!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    If it is a good cause... I am glad to pay it! I ran the Tunnel to Towers run in NYC last year... money goes to building houses for wounded Iraq/Afghanistan vets... take my money for that any day!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    If it is a good cause... I am glad to pay it! I ran the Tunnel to Towers run in NYC last year... money goes to building houses for wounded Iraq/Afghanistan vets... take my money for that any day!

Agreed, I see it as a win-win. The money goes to a good cause and I get the challenge and motivation of a race.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    don't do mud runs then!! i just paid a little over $80 to run the Spartan Race in June. i missed the early bird special by about twelve hours, or it would've been twenty bucks cheaper.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The race fees don't just cover the cost of the t-shirt. It's mostly for the extra police officers to keep the roads closed...that's why the more miles in the race, the higher the cost, more roads need to be closed.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You get a tshirt ? Huh, wish I was so lucky!
    I've just signed up for my second race and I don't get a tshirt for my $35 for either of them.

That's OK though, for me I need to have a focus for my training so $30 to keep me focused for 4 months is pretty good.
    I don't go to a gym or spend much other money on fitness (except for running shoes and the new running skirt I've just ordered!) so I don't mind it.

But, I can see that if you were doing lots of races, it would soon add up.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If the race is for a charity then ask friends/family/co-workers for donations. For one race I paid 1/2 the entry fee and then asked a bunch of friends for a $1 donation to make up the rest. Usually no one minds giving a dollar and actually my entry fee/contribution ended up being more than the entry fee by doing that.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't run.

But I DO chase people..
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    don't do mud runs then!! i just paid a little over $80 to run the Spartan Race in June. i missed the early bird special by about twelve hours, or it would've been twenty bucks cheaper.

I hear ya! I waited too long to sign up for Warrior Dash and I had to pay $80. But it was worth every penny!
  • ineednapkin
    Options
    I think that I got a lot more out of the $75 I paid for my marathon than just the tshirt and medal. It helped keep me motivated to run. NO WAY would I have ran 5 days a week I hadn't signed up for the marathon. It was worth every penny for me. The motivation alone is enough for me to sign up for races... I paid for it, I have to run it, so I have to train for it.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol. you could also run unregistered. just saying :) I usually only do the breast cancer walk, and I donate anyway, but you don't have to
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I get that and am happy that they are for charities, but it doesn't make it easier on the wallet. I volunteer for one every year and this was the first year for me to actually get to walk with my daughter and I had no idea how much we charged.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    lol. you could also run unregistered. just saying :) I usually only do the breast cancer walk, and I donate anyway, but you don't have to

most of the races (walks, in my case) I've been to registration is required, so they can get a headcount, etc. Plus, for the runners, many of them post times. The ones I have been to and know of, that is.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of costs to run a race especially a timed race, the timing equipment, the police, the costs to close the streets down but I also make sure the ones I run are for charities that I care for.