How much is too much phenylalanine?

Options
I know this is a widely debated topic as to whether or not it'll kill you (not really, over dramatising)
I have a 600ml bottle of coke zero maybe once or twice a week and I've just started taking the "Nature's way Metabolift day & night" tablets. Which have 100mg of phenylalanine in each day tablet.
I saw on an old post while searching on MFP that the recommended amount is 25mg, I think that was per day.
If that's correct shouldn't there be something wrong with 200mg per day? (you take two day tablets a day)
Or does your body use it for something so its not a problem?
I apologise as I really don't know alot about it other then what you can google, but I'm willing to be educated!

I mainly wanted something to suppress my hunger and this is what I've decided to go with, so please don't bag me out for going to a pill. But if anyone has had personal good or bad experiences with this product I would like to hear about it.

Replies

• MeechoXD
    Options
    You will be fine with taking extra phenylalanine as long as you don't have PKU. You would know by now if you had PKU, since it builds up very quickly and it would have found out when you were an infant. Phenylalanine is an amino acid. It's fine to consume in products (again, if you don't have PKU), it's just not one of the necessary amino acids. From what I've read, it is not known if it is possible to have an overdose of phenylalanine in a normal person.
  • cheetahcub2010
    cheetahcub2010 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Your body naturally gets rid of extra amino acids in urine.
  • Appleness
    Options
    Thanks cheetahcub201 and meechoXD. Good to know there isn't any real danger in it.
    I've learnt something today! :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Your body actually creates phenylalanine. If you ingest more, your body will just make less to compensate, and it it's still too much, it'll just eliminate any excess.

Edit- Sorry, I mixed up my amino acids. Phenylalanine is actually an essential amino acid. Your body doesn't make it, you have to get it from food.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You can have like 30x that amount before it would be "toxic" to you in any way. How it affects weight loss is harder to say.