Help: Triathlons & Well-Endowed Women

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've just registered for my first (sprint distance) triathlon and have no idea what to expect. Just looking forward to getting across the finish line this summer!

However, before I can get there I need to get through the first transition stage T1 from the swim to the bike. I personally cannot run or bike without a sports bra on due to a large chest. But I also do not want to swim with a sports bra on. Do any of you ladies out there who have been through this before have any advice?

I don't care about my T1 time as I just want to finish, not get 1st place or anything, but I'm also worried there won't be a changing area (have not found out about this yet). I've also heard you can get disqualified for nudity in races!! But there is no way I'm biking and running in a wet bathing suit (first) and second, without a sports bra! What to do?!

Thanks!

Replies

• fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've just registered for my first (sprint distance) triathlon and have no idea what to expect. Just looking forward to getting across the finish line this summer!

However, before I can get there I need to get through the first transition stage T1 from the swim to the bike. I personally cannot run or bike without a sports bra on due to a large chest. But I also do not want to swim with a sports bra on. Do any of you ladies out there who have been through this before have any advice?

I don't care about my T1 time as I just want to finish, not get 1st place or anything, but I'm also worried there won't be a changing area (have not found out about this yet). I've also heard you can get disqualified for nudity in races!! But there is no way I'm biking and running in a wet bathing suit (first) and second, without a sports bra! What to do?!

Thanks!
  • jamiesbeach
    Options
    have someoen pass you a bra after the swim put it over the suit
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You change outfits between each section. My nutrition prof ran an Iron Man and she just had someone waiting with her change of clothing. There are big tents and stuff to change in. She said the biggest problem were bike tires popping due to the heat--no one can help you change the tire. So make sure you know all the bike maintenance before you go. :smile:
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    Last year I did a sprint and they did have a changing area. Even though it sounds uncomfortable, get a tank/shorts set and wear those for the entire race with a sports bra, including the swim portion. It is really nice not having to worry about changing during the race. Both my sister and I were heavier set last year when we did it and it really was the most comfortable.

I had practiced in my wetsuit and swimsuit, as well as in my spandex tank top and shorts with a wet suit and it didn't make a difference. The only change was that I didn't have to change clothes.
  • fishernd
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I won't be buying a wet suit (unless I find out the water temps are going to be freezing!) so I think I might either just try and change out of my suit or throw a bra over my suit.

Thanks!
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    They make triathlon tops, very much like a sports bra but quick drying. Also, at the absolute very least there will be porta potties there, you can change in there if you need to.

Just be sure to practice it. Even though you say you have no plans to compete, it is no fun being last out of any transition...
  • jim_weldon
    jim_weldon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've done a dozen Sprint TRIs - and have never seen a changing area (you will be going just about 90mins including T-Times). For Sprint and Olympic races – you wear the same thing throughout the race. I have a few friends that have done Half-IMs too & they didn’t change gear either.

The marketplace for Triathlons includes a TON of gear -> special shorts and tops that are supportive & wick-away water/sweat. I am sure there is gear for your specific physic. For example – on Sprint TRIs, I don’t bother with socks & most guys don’t wear shirts either (I’m not there – yet).

I am sure you have many questions, but just remember - it is a growing sport & probably 10-20% of the people in your race will be racing for their first time too!

some good websites:
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/ <- great forums
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/default.asp <- great videos for T-Times, changing tires
    http://www.trisports.com/index.html <- gear
    http://www.ontri.com/ <- logging workouts & downloading training programs
  • fishernd
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I guess I'll just get me a good pair of Tri shorts to run/bike in and throw those on after the swim. Really getting excited and am enjoying incorporating the swimming into my workouts! Just need to get to that early morning spinning class!