Calories All Over the Place

Is it bad that my calorie intake is all over the place? My calorie goal is 1430. I get that and all but on different days I exercise through jujitsu. Those days I post huge deficits and then other days like on weekends we don't eat as well and my wife and I go over our goals but make up for it in the so called exercise section and we will add in leisure walking for a few hours for the shopping we do. Then our diary says then because we added that cardio our diary says we are alright because we added in shopping. Is this really that hard to figure out? We try making healthy choices but don't try to bit our goals exactly. Like I said sometimes we are over bit have cardio and sometimes were right on. Should we be fine tuning this better. We are going to do our first official weigh in this Friday.

Replies

• CherryMoogle
    CherryMoogle Posts: 3 Member
    Are you trying to maintain weight or lose it ?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Call it calorie cycling... not necessarily a bad thing!
  • taneum
    taneum Posts: 16
    I am trying to loose two punds a week.
  • CherryMoogle
    CherryMoogle Posts: 3 Member
    Well it's okay for your intake to be all over the place, as long as it's not over 1600. But if it is 1600, then just do a little more exercise if you can. :D
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Well it's okay for your intake to be all over the place, as long as it's not over 1600. But if it is 1600, then just do a little more exercise if you can. :D

Why can't it be over 1600? Is there something magic about 1600 that would make someone immediately need to do MORE exercise to counteract it? I'm confused by the magic of 1600.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Different things work for different people. A lot of people will swear that zig zagging your calories is a good thing - that it keeps your body guessing all the time. Our bodies get used to what we're doing - whether it be caloric intake or working out. Changing things up all the time keeps the body guessing - which can often keep you from plateauing.

I would give it a while and see how your body responds to what you're doing. If after a month or two, you don't see a weight loss - then you need to fine tune what you're doing. If you see a loss, then keep going.

Good Luck
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    If this is your first week tracking and this is how you normally do things, then just go with the flow. It is ok to figure things out as you go along.

Your body might work just fine with zig zagging your calories like that but it may want a steady amount of food. That is ok too. Just listen to your body. I personally need to feed mine at least 1200 net calories per day (food calories - calories burned via exercise = net calories) and drink my water.

Keep in mind that your current height and weight may not support 2 pounds per week loss. The smaller you are the more you need to eat. Seems backwards but it isn't.