can you suggest a good, affordable HRM?

Options
I want to get one, But want one that is affordable, also, how many different kinds are there,? meaning, a watch style, ( dont want that) or is there one to wear on your arm?

TIA, Tami

Replies

• Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I want to get one, But want one that is affordable, also, how many different kinds are there,? meaning, a watch style, ( dont want that) or is there one to wear on your arm?

TIA, Tami
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Be careful with cheaper ones, I made that mistake, got one without a strap, and did me no favours what so ever.
    You need a strap with any good HRM to keep check of your pulse etc accurately.
    I ended up buying a polar f6 - as recommended to me by an MFP member :happy:
    Good luck finding one that suits you :flowerforyou:
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Definitely a Polar F6 is a great option. If you are not doing self-guided workouts but instead following videos or something an F4 would be ok.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    most decent HRM's requre a chest strap. their are a few out there that use an arm band instead, but generally they are more expensive. the ones with a chest strap usually use a watch piece to display. I'm not sure why you are against the wrist watch, but I have found that that way is very convienent.

the polar and Nike HRMS are both very good products. the polar F6 is a great option (I have that one) and works like a charm. they run about 100 bucks or so on amazon. Garmon makes one too, but I haven't tried it.
    Options
    Walmart sells a really good HRM. It has all the bells and wistles as the polar F6 does except you can't download your info. to your computer like the Polar F6 can. The walmart one has the wrist watch with the chest strap. It can give you if you are within your zone-above your zone or within your zone. How many cals you burned and how many fat cals you burned. It is also water proof. And so much more to it. Also you can change the battiers yourself, unlike the polar ones you would have to send it in to have the battiers changed. The walmart HRM can run from $55.00-$63.00 depends on where you live.
  • jenne
    jenne Posts: 6
    Options
    I have the sportline hrm from walmart and I love it. Cost me less than $50 and I have worn it most days for the past months and have had no problems. I looked at some of the more expensive models but decided that for what I needed this was the most cost effective option.

Jenne
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex Ironman HRM, works great. Paid $70 at a web site called

www.heartmonitors.com

Some great articles there as well.
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    I too am looking for a HRM. I hear the Polar f6 is a good one. The problem is, I am very large chested and I find it extremely uncomfortable to wear under my sports bra right under my boobs. Is it possible to wear this style a little lower so my sports bra does not put pressure on it.
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Walmart sells a really good HRM. It has all the bells and wistles as the polar F6 does except you can't download your info. to your computer like the Polar F6 can. The walmart one has the wrist watch with the chest strap. It can give you if you are within your zone-above your zone or within your zone. How many cals you burned and how many fat cals you burned. It is also water proof. And so much more to it. Also you can change the battiers yourself, unlike the polar ones you would have to send it in to have the battiers changed. The walmart HRM can run from $55.00-$63.00 depends on where you live.

I go this one today and I'm already in love with it.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I got the Reebox one with the chest strap from Big 5, the local sporting goods store. It was originally $129.99 and I bought it for $39.99. I love it, maybe one of the sporting good stores in your area have some on clearance.

On another note, I wear mine above my boobs Nlongenecker, it is comfortable there. Where is the proper place to wear them?
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    most decent HRM's requre a chest strap. their are a few out there that use an arm band instead, but generally they are more expensive. the ones with a chest strap usually use a watch piece to display. I'm not sure why you are against the wrist watch, but I have found that that way is very convienent.

the polar and Nike HRMS are both very good products. the polar F6 is a great option (I have that one) and works like a charm. they run about 100 bucks or so on amazon. Garmon makes one too, but I haven't tried it.

Most cardio equipment these days is compatible with Polar, so you can not use the watch and the chest strap will still transmit to the machine. Or you can put the watch in your pocket if you hate wearing one. I had the F-6, now I have the F-7. The watch is the same, functions are the same, I enjoy the F-7 strap though. I also think it is compatible with more equipment like power meters and such.

I had a Garmin strap for my Forerunner, but after an off season in the drawer it will not sync up anymore. Maybe it is just a bad one, but it leaves a bad taste considering the price...
    Options
    You are supose to have it right under were your bra is, but not to were your bra is covering it.
    I got the Reebox one with the chest strap from Big 5, the local sporting goods store. It was originally $129.99 and I bought it for $39.99. I love it, maybe one of the sporting good stores in your area have some on clearance.

On another note, I wear mine above my boobs Nlongenecker, it is comfortable there. Where is the proper place to wear them?