Weight loss/meal replacement shakes

Options
Hey there! I'm pretty new to the whole getting in shape thing and I was wondering if anyone had any experience in the particular area of weight loss shakes? I have a fairly busy work schedule and grabbing one on the go to replace breakfast, or hold me over until lunch break is pretty convenient for me. But I've heard different things from different people so I was just wondering, are they really good for you? And if so, are there pros and cons to different brands? So far, I've starting trying the Wal-Mart 180 calorie Equate Weight Loss Shakes. They taste good (basically like flavored milk) and really do help fight off the hunger feeling when I know I'm just bored and want to snack. And of course, the price is the best bargain. I work a minimum wage, fast food job, and the budget is pretty tight so the cheaper something is, the better. But am I sacrificing health for convenience?

Replies

• onetwothreeme
    Options
    some are quite horrible tasting, others are kinda good. my favorite is Nature's Way - Metabolic Reset. the chocolate is insanely good...and i just use ice cold water with it. check it out.
  • Katerbuggs
    Options
    Thanks, I will! Chocolate is my favorite of pretty much anything, lol. =)
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    some are quite horrible tasting, others are kinda good. my favorite is Nature's Way - Metabolic Reset. the chocolate is insanely good...and i just use ice cold water with it. check it out.

I love the chocolate too soooo good.
  • boo59
    boo59 Posts: 5
    Options
    The Atkins drinks are really good and sweet tasting, with low carbs, low sugar and high in protein!
  • hjohns65
    hjohns65 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I used them about 3 years ago I weighed in at 270's, I had 1 for bfast, than a protein water mix and some kind of fruit or under 100 cal bar, and than slim fast for lunch, and some low cal snack for the afternoon, and than a properly measured supper. I got down to 195 in about 5 months, but I was working out 3-5x's a week for 45 mins each time. I'm using the slim fast powder mix yourself now, as I found it doesn't make me nauseated (small problem I had occasionally previously using slim fast about an hour after drinking) and I use 2 oz more skim milk to the 1 scoop so it's not as concentrated. They really do work if you can stick with it!
  • nrimas
    nrimas Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest benefit is they are a way to get additional vitamins, minerals and protein. I am finding additional protein is important to stay strong and keep hunger at bay. I use Spiru-tein vanilla. They have all kinds of flavors, even cookies and cream, but I'm kind of boring. This is a vegan gluten free source of protein. I mix in a non-fat Greek yogurt every morning and I'm ready for the day.
    Good luck.
  • Katerbuggs
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the advice! Definitely will keep it all in mind the next time I go shopping. =)
  • december8teen
    Options
    bumping for later! interested to know this myself :)
  • Katerbuggs
    Options
    That sounds fantastic with the yogurt! Totally gonna try that. Thanks! =)
  • red_hatorade
    Options
    My dietitian actually recommended Carnation Breakfast Essentials No sugar Added. she has me on that for breakfast and lunch and then I eat a sensible dinner (I count the calories as well).
  • amawalsh
    Options
    Pro-cal 100 shakes. The chocolate is the best. My doctor gave them to me but you can order them online.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Way back when, I was on a doctor controlled all-liquid diet and we used these:

http://www.ihmonline.com/products_shakessoups_800_middle.aspx (along with some of the other puddings and soups).

These are expensive, but VERY good. And you can add sugar/fat free Jello pudding powder to add extra flavor (I liked adding a tablespoon of banana cream pudding powder to mine).
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Look for something that will actually give you the stuff you need, not just a low cal drink that will suppress your appetite. I've tried just about everything on the market. Two years ago I settled on Shakeology. I still haven't found anything that has half of the ingredients in it.
  • Katerbuggs
    Options
    Its good to hear that some of there are doctor and nutritionist recommended. That was my main concern. Some people have told me that weight loss shakes are bad for you. >.<;
  • krsmith60
    Options
    meal replacement shakes are what i'm using to achieve my goals!..the one i'm using tastes great and costs less that $2!...i actually have saved $$ since i started using them so it's like smart fast food! ...plus the energy i now have is amazing!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    meal replacement shakes are what i'm using to achieve my goals!..the one i'm using tastes great and costs less that $2!...i actually have saved $$ since i started using them so it's like smart fast food! ...plus the energy i now have is amazing!

so which one is it!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I think shakes once or even twice a day can be a good tool as part of an overall diet that includes whole food with lots of nutrients and few preservatives. You might consider a whey protein shake instead of a meal replacement shake if you are trying to increase your protein. Eating high protein helped me reduce my cravings. It also facilitates muscle growth if you are working on getting stronger.

Have you heard much about "clean eating" which is relying on unprocessed, fresh whole foods? It can be very important to helping you achieve your fitness goals. Need to give good clean fuel to our bodies to be successful. Lean protein, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruit and veggies. You might also consider a good multivitamin to make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need that you might be missing in your diet.

Good luck!

I agree. I believe things like yogurt, and fresh fruits/vegetables would be perfect. A good protein mix, optimun nutriton whey protein for example, would be far less costly and more tasty than most premixed drinks.
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    krsmith60, what is the name of the meal replacement shake you use?
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I love my protein shake in the morning!! LOVE IT.
    I don't use weight loss shakes, per se. I stick to low carb, high protein shakes and they taste amazing.
    Generally I have one shake for breakfast but at one time I was having 2 per day. It really kick started my weight loss.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I, too, have to eat on the go a lot. I use them only for that purpose though, because the goal of weight loss is to develop healthy eating habits-- and I don't think shakes are a very long term solution. I've tried lots of shakes, and I've found the cheapest and best tasting option is buying the powders in the tub and mixing them with 8 oz. of 1% milk. To me, that tastes just as yummy as chocolate milk! I buy the store brand. They are just as tasty as name brand and a lot cheaper.

Edit: When working, I have one for breakfast and one for lunch. When not working, I just have one for breakfast.