Another person beginning to lose her way! HELP!

Options
Hey All, --- (Ill try to keep it short as possible!)

Another person that freaking out about gaining whatever I lost and losing motivation. HELP!

So far the numbers have gone north by 2lbs. I'm sadden and freaking out by it. I don't want it to go any further. I blame this on mainly diet. Not a stress eater (I hope not), but been cheating along the way. Half a bagel here and dessert there (and I dont usually do dessert!) and wine here and there. My low carb diet have caused me to crave carbs every other week. Hormones are really screwing me up.

So far my list of motivation is not getting me psyched and/or focused (see profile).

The only thing that's positive is that I keep going to the gym! I started c25k and finished my first week and really beginning to see I'm going to be good friends with running/jogging and surprisingly trying to improve my core with planks everyday.

Please HELP ME MFP!!!!!!!

tl;dr - Diet have been slipping, how to get back on track?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!??
EDIT: Not water weight. End of period./New cycle.

Thank you all in advance you guys are my heroes!!

Replies

• HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Woosa! Breathe!
    The scale will move... even up. Your body holds on to water and you may see a small gain. It is totally normal.

As for the diet, stick with it. And remember, if you mess up it doesn't ruin your whole day. Some people think, well eff it, I messed up so I will eat like crap the rest of the day. Nope. Mess up - ok. Back on track right away - you betcha!!

You can do this!! It takes willpower and people to support you. MFP is such a huge help!

Good luck :)
  • KCarpenter83
    KCarpenter83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would trash the low carb diet and just eat sensibly instead. Stay within your calories, logging EVERYTHING (even the bagel here, wine there, etc) and don't worry about carbs right now. Like you said, when you try to cut something out it always backfires because of cravings.

If you are a reader- i will recommend a good book on "dieting"/weight loss that made a lot of sense to me and changed the way I thought about eating and what was good and not good, what's a myth and what is not, etc. Its called The Body Fat Solution by Tom Venuto. He's a world renowned fitness guy. He has a facebook page too that he posts good articles on- just look up Tom Venuto.
  • DaisyDucky
    DaisyDucky Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your support. How did you prevent yourself from "shutting down" at moments. I think I'm getting tired of the same things and keeping with program is getting me bored. I want a life style change, I know it will get mundane, self conscience says I dont mind it to be healthy mundane, but sub-conscience says otherwise. I want it to be second nature that I am resisting temptations and bad foods. How do I do it?

Thank you all!!!!

Following is a side note
    Goal oriented? Maybe....? I allow my self a treat because I deserve it. My friend say don't make it a viscous cycle on rewarding your "good behavior" for bad food or else it can become a habit. I am NOT going to do that. So I try to substitute with clothes shopping. So far, not working out either. I see the plus size clothes and they are not making me happy because I don't want to spend that money on plus size clothes and I'm so far in between sizes. I see myself in a new light right now that I can be out of the plus sizes, so clothes shopping doesn't appeal to me. I believe I have 60lbs to go in order to fit in size 12 (midterm goal, currently size 18, originally was a 22-20 size).

I substitute it with make up shopping. Its great, but too expensive! And trust me, I have enough too!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets cause you to lose water, which you will gain back when you reintroduce carbs.
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I take it day by day. But I try to keep myself interested by reading up on a lot of the things I am curious about. You can seriously get lost in all the information available. I bought a heart rate monitor after learning about it. It's freakin AWESOME. I look up different exercises or routines that I can try. It feels GREAT when I can do them efficiently after a couple of weeks. I also try to find different recipes. I am trying not to be too hard on myself with the calorie cuts and exercises. Little by little seems to be key, or at least thats what I'm getting from a lot of the forum posts here. Turn it into a quest for information. You are already in school, which says that much about your discipline and will to learn. Face this lifestyle change the same way. Only this time the responsibility is for yourself and your health!
  • Reiral
    Reiral Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi! Here's a list of what I did to control my weight (Which works most of the time):

1) Get rid of all your comfort food (Crips-Potato chips, Twisty, Broad bean etc). If you don't see them they won't call out to you.

2) Look in the mirror before you think of eating or hang your mirror on your fridge

3) Think of how others make fun of you and how you can get back at them for getting slimmer!

4) Drink tea/barley which tastes much better than water

5) Run on treadmill and take note of the calories-remind yourself that just one or two little packets of crisps will probably take you an hour to burn off

6) Healthier alternatives: Yoghurt, Yakult, fruits

7) Have a small cheat meal 3 times a week to keep you going

8) Eat your comfort food as a meal...like if you eat potato chips for your lunch don't eat anything else =)

1, 5 and 8 works well for me.

Good luck! I'm sure you can do it!!
  • KCarpenter83
    KCarpenter83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your support. How did you prevent yourself from "shutting down" at moments. I think I'm getting tired of the same things and keeping with program is getting me bored. I want a life style change, I know it will get mundane, self conscience says I dont mind it to be healthy mundane, but sub-conscience says otherwise. I want it to be second nature that I am resisting temptations and bad foods. How do I do it?

Thank you all!!!!

Following is a side note
    Goal oriented? Maybe....? I allow my self a treat because I deserve it. My friend say don't make it a viscous cycle on rewarding your "good behavior" for bad food or else it can become a habit. I am NOT going to do that. So I try to substitute with clothes shopping. So far, not working out either. I see the plus size clothes and they are not making me happy because I don't want to spend that money on plus size clothes and I'm so far in between sizes. I see myself in a new light right now that I can be out of the plus sizes, so clothes shopping doesn't appeal to me. I believe I have 60lbs to go in order to fit in size 12 (midterm goal, currently size 18, originally was a 22-20 size).

I substitute it with make up shopping. Its great, but too expensive! And trust me, I have enough too!

Maybe altering your mindset on rewarding yourself would be helpful. You need to start thinking about food differently- food is fuel primarily and it should not be used as a reward. That is probably the cause of a lot of obesity- it feels good to eat so people go way overboard. You aren't "rewarding" yourself at ALL by eating junk or overeating- you are punishing yourself. That junk does bad things to your body internally and externally, and makes you feel like crap (not right away but later).

Same with shopping- these are not good habits to get into..its all sort of along the same lines of doing unhealthy things as rewards. All of those things can be addictive behaviors.

Really, really....read that book i recommended. It will give you a different outlook and help if you really want this to be a second nature lifestyle change.