Tabata training

Options
Does anyone know anything about Tabata training? It's a 4minute workout where you work as hard and as fast as you can for 20 seconds and rest for 10 seconds and you continue for 4 minutes. Has anyone tried it? Its claims to raise your metabolism for anywhere between 12-36 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AimPOSXe7n4

Replies

• jessicamckay13
    Options
    The trainer I work with has a Tabata app on his iphone to make running it during boot camps easier. Everyone was sweating like crazy and swearing by the end of 4 minutes which is usually a good sign :) We did 3 sets of the 4 minutes.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Tabata is my FAVORITE! I actually use a video to keep me on pace - Amy Dixon's 'Breathless Body'. It's tough, but I also really enjoy it (and I like the results).
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of Tabata but one of my instructors uses it for classes occasionally. She actually made us do 8 reps instead of 4. It was hell and I was sore for several days afterwards.
  • jsjaclark
    Options
    My trainer uses it with me. It's tough bu I always feel I have gotten a great workout. The best thing is that it works with just about any exercise you want to do (running, weights, crunches, pushups, etc.).
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    Options
    we used to do it in our Fit Club. It is amazing and the instructor really knew her stuff. I would recommend it.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    my sister got me on tabatta, it is intense. I love it, but I was only using it as a once a week thing to suppliment my normal routine. its great to mix it up every once in a while, give it a go and see what you like.
  • gersoco
    gersoco Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I do Tabata every other day to build my VO2max which will get me and my lungs ready for next year's move to Boulder, CO. To help me keep time (20sec ON/10sec REST for 4 minutes), I downloaded a free Tabata timer for my ipod and android.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    bump
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Supreme 90 Day has a Tabata workout called Tabata Inferno. It's a good workout.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to HIIT and that's what I do. It's a great burn and is one of the best ways to get my heart rate up. I do intervals of 60secs/90secs High/Low or 90secs/60secs High/Low
  • alisonnorth
    alisonnorth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    it is HIIT- the difference is it's 20 seconds work/ 10 seconds rest. 4 minutes is 8 cycles. i would suggest starting with 4 cycles and working your way up! VERY effective. but not fun ;)
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You can try www.bodyrock.tv thier workouts are actually more intense than tabata training most of thier workouts are the 10sec rest w/ 50 sec work interval, some are 10/30 and the exercises can be modified easily if you dont have the sandbag, dip statation etc..... and they are usually 12-18 minute workouts......very intense and very fun!