Pre-mixing Protein Shakes

Options
Hi guys,

After trying to get all my protein from food and failing i decided to just get some through shakes and i was wondering would it be alright to mix them the night before and take them to work the next day to drink them throughout the day or do they have to be mixed and consumed on the spot? Thanks

~raquel

Replies

• linjo66
    linjo66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it depends upon the product and your additions. You may need to bring a shaker bottle to remix it a bit the next day if the ingredients separate (ie pulpy fruit/seeds may settle or rise). While I've never mixed my shakes the night before, I have done them in the morning for lunch time with no problems. Just a word of caution...one product I used a few years back thickened on standing - so it became glop after a while. That type of shake would need to be created before drinking. Unless you like glop :) !!!
    Good luck!
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ive never done it, but I would try contacting the company
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    well...it takes about 18 seconds to dump in the protein powder, add milk, water or your favorite liquid, shake and drink. why mix it the night before?
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've put them in the freezer over night and taken them to work...I let them set out a little while then shake it up once it starts to melt and its tastes like a chocolate slushie. YUM. :)
  • Trinasan
    Trinasan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We keep a magic bullet in our office.. Comes in handy for mixing and ice crushing.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I make mine sometimes days in advance. Don't seem to notice a difference, I do keep them refrigerated.
  • Chrans
    Options
    I agree with Dave. The quality of the shake will be much better if you mix the shake when needed. I have never mixed it a night before but if you are willing to try it you never know, it may be good. As long as you mix and refrigerate it should be alright for a few hours.
  • jshish8
    jshish8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to make gallon jugs of milk in college with whey protein. it was easy to swig on the run. I am sure it doesn't matter when you mix it...may taste a bit different.
  • runwithmike
    Options
    My protein shake mix would separate, so I need to bring a shaker to work.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a shaker bottle and make mine the night before when I make the rest of my lunch. Works fine for me!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I always liked mixing mine a bit ahead and letting it sit in the fridge for a bit before drinking it. It seemed to improve the flavor and make it a bit thicker.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    My protein drinks are just milk and protein powder. I have a nice mixer bottle, and I have a strange thing about putting the milk in before the powder so I just keep baggies of powder with my bottle, pour the milk in at work and immediately dump in my powder. Because mine is milk based, it doesn't really seem like it would be good to pre-mix it because it would get warm from carrying it around. ?
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    well...it takes about 18 seconds to dump in the protein powder, add milk, water or your favorite liquid, shake and drink. why mix it the night before?

take a bottle add water then the protein powder, I use Costco muscle milk. I s creamy enough with water, and I drink whole milk.
    I would definitely recommend it :flowerforyou:
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The whole process takes 10 seconds! Why mix it a night before?

BTW, Once I did a stupid thing- I added Whey protein in water and put in in Microwave for a minute of warm water...whole thing became like solid rubber! What a waste!
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't use protein supplements yet as I don't workout but my co-worker does and he always prepares his shakes in the morning before coming to work. He hasn't died yet and his personal instructor does not advice against.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    You get shaker bottles where you have your milk and powder seperately, then when you need it you can simply detach it and add your powder to the milk,
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If I leave my shake in the cup for too long, it gets pretty funky. In fact if I'm lazy about washing my cup right away and wait too long I'll often have to throw out the container (I've lost more nal gene bottles that way than I care to admit). I'd say bring the things with you to work and mix there, it's what I would do.