How do you manage to eat well for an extra long day? Help.

Options
Hello everyone,
So I'm wondering how many of you out there have to tackle randomly long days like I do and what you do to keep within your calorie goals for the day? It ruins everything for my diet by needing an extra meal to keep fueled.

For myself I slept at 2p yesterday until 1a today (I work nights) then woke up and tried to sleep again at 8a until 12p (which didn't work since my body is not tired and I woke up an hour early) so I could have time to hit the gym before school. Then I'm out at 6p and I *might* sleep before work at 9p which will last until 6a tomorrow but I probably won't be tired. Afterward work I will then sleep from like 630a to about 3p. So on these long days (every monday) I do get pretty hungry more often than on a regular day. Any advice? Normally I sleep more but sometimes I just adapt to these long days and catch up on my sleep when I have time so the sleep is not an issue - the meal planning is proving to be tough and every week is messing me up so I give up.

Replies

• demonid
    demonid Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try bringing along a lot of high fiber veggies as snacks. They don't add a lot of calories, and help to fill you up.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You're burning more calories on the longer days, so you need a few more. I agree with the low-cal fruit or veggie snacks. Snack often enough, every few hours, so you're not starving when you have a full meal. Best wishes!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    It depends:

Case 1:
    I have time to eat: I focus on munching all day with lower calorie items, Like veggies with reduces fat cream cheese or reduced fat sour cream, or multi grain wraps with plenty of veggies and some lunch meat. I would eat a little bit all day.

Case 2:
    I don't have much time to eat: I focus on higher calorie items with full fat, like a multi grain bagel with a lot of full fat cream cheese and some veggies, or lasagna, and for a snack I have nuts and stuff like that. This way I am getting all my calories in and not spending a lot of time eating them.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I recommend to plan and bring along protein food & snacks. Definitely best choice for my body. No cravings or hunger results. So I prepare and bring either PB & jelly, turkey, sliced chicken breast, ham, salmon, tuna or egg salad on whole wheat something or other. Also, try hard boiled egg, cottage cheese, yogurt, hummus and veggies...