Numb Toes on Elliptical

Options
Does anyone have any information about this? My toes sometimes go numb on the elliptical or treadmill. I've read before that it's common but I can't remember where and wanted some more information. Any would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• roseemb
    roseemb Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I will look forward to hearing responses on this, as I experience this as well. I find it is worse on the elliptical machine I have at home, and not so much at the ones at the gym. It is really annoying...

Rose
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do an hour on the elliptical 3-4 times a week and it happens to me sometimes, but not always. (I love the times I've been on about 45 minutes thinking "Ahh, my feet aren't numb.") They tend to numb-up when my feet are slightly swollen, which make sense - tighter shoes. When they do start to feel funny, I start wiggling my toes in my shoes and shift my feet around on the platforms (or whatever you call them.) I also lean back on my heals (holding the stationery handles in front). That seems to help.

Common problem around here :)
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I haven't hear of this specifically on the tred/elliptical, but the toes on my right foot have been getting numb when I do a lot of walking, wear tight shoes and workout vigorously. My podiatrist thought it was Morton's Neuroma - a common issue of the foot where you can get a little neuroma (or more than one) in your foot near your toes. Excess pressure or poor-fitting shoes and running, heavy excercise can exaggerate it and cause numbness and pain. The only issue in my case though - they did an ultrasound and I don't have any neuromas. It can also be cause by sciattica issues - even when no lower back pain is present, one can get numbness and pain or tingling in the calves, ankles, feet and toes. I wonder too if it could possibly be a circulatory or blood pressure issue - being the furthest appendages from your heart could be indicative of a circulatory issue. Best of luck in finding an answer - wish I knew what was going on with my foot too. *hugs*
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/399977-elliptical-advice-please?hl=numb+elliptical#posts-5490597

the above has some good info on the numb toes. it's common. i wiggle my toes periodically and pick my heels up. it helps.
  • Schmarrn
    Options
    i found this too on ehow.com
    "
    Causes of Numbness
    When operating an elliptical trainer, the feet stay motionless in one place, unlike a treadmill or stairstepper where you pick up your feet. The constant pressure of your body weight on your feet can affect your circulation and cause the feet to feel numb or asleep. If you are wearing shoes that further restrict circulation because the shoes are too tight are ill-fittiing, that can compound the problem. Even shoes that are too loose can cause your feet to slide forward, which jams your toes and causes a similar sensation.

Preventing Numb Feet
    First, make sure your shoes fit properly. Go to a store that specializes in sports footwear and have them measure your foot and look at your stride and pronation or supination problems so they can recommend the best pair of shoes for your feet. Second, consider custom orthotics from a podiatrist or try over-the-counter products at the drug store. Third, when using the elliptical, wiggle your toes frequently and rock back-and-forth on your feet. Using the reverse mode of the elliptical every few minutes can also provide relief. Fourth, try an incline, if your machine has that feature included. Finally, make sure you don't exercise on the elliptical too long. An optimal workout is considered to last 30 to 45 minutes.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I use to get that, but I try my best to keep my feet flat on the platforms and ever since no numbness. Also I try keeping good posture when using the elliptical. I sometime found myself grabbing the bars in the middle and found out that I'm not suppose to. Ever since I used the machine properly by using the moving arms I've been able to keep my feet flat and no numb toes.
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    Adjust your footing, wiggle your toes ... it usually happens from your foot being in one position for too long.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Mine did that for the first month or so of exercising on the elliptical. I got new shoes (wider) and it has stopped. I don't know if my body just got used to it or it was the shoes. I would say make sure you're shoes aren't too tight.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info!!! Today it was worse b/c I have on brand new shoes. But I think I can do a few things different that has been suggested here! Glad it's not uncommon!
  • tinkerbek
    tinkerbek Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So glad to see other people talking about this! I just got new gym shoes and out of nowhere my feet always get numb on the elliptical! ugh. i'm wondering if once I break in the shoes it will stop? it's not like my feet got any bigger (or fatter) since my last pair of shoes. and i got the same brand as before, asics. I am gonna try moving my feet around more and wiggling my toes. thanks!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    So glad to see other people talking about this! I just got new gym shoes and out of nowhere my feet always get numb on the elliptical! ugh. i'm wondering if once I break in the shoes it will stop? it's not like my feet got any bigger (or fatter) since my last pair of shoes. and i got the same brand as before, asics. I am gonna try moving my feet around more and wiggling my toes. thanks!

Yeah I got the exact some shoes that I had before...well, a cheaper version so that may have something to do with it. They will stretch out though. And just in case I'm wearing them today at work with my dress...haha...
  • lunaephiliac
    Options
    i don;t think i've seen this mentioned so i'll add...I lift my feet up off the footrests for a minute or so every five minutes. prevents numbness and boredom too!
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My left foot goes numb every time. I do the one foot pedal with my right foot for about 20 seconds, and let the blood flow back to my left foot. I repeat about every 8-10 minutes. I think it has to do with individual walking, or stride dynamics.
  • tinkerbek
    tinkerbek Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    yea i'm thinking too that they just need to stretch out. i did a kickboxing dvd last night and my feet were fine. Back to the gym to the elliptical tonight so i will try wiggling and moving my feet around and see what happens!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and after researching I found that as you exercise your feet swell - so if your shoes are to tight then it can slow down circulation to your feet = numbness

Since I don't run at all and mainly stick with the elliptical, the arc trainer and then stationary strength training I bought my shoes a half size bigger than normal - I did switch brands and made sure they fit well - even being 1/2 size bigger

Of course if you run with the same shoes then this might be a moot point as having shoes just a little too big might not work (although my friends that are runner have told me they buy their shoes a little big to combat swelling - but like I said I am NOT a runner - not much of a walker either...)