New Running Shoes

Options
I am running my first 5K next Sunday and I don't own running shoes. I have an old pair of Sketchers that are too big for me that my feet slide around in and a pair of New Balance toning shoes, which is what I usually wear when running, that are comfy but I am not sure they are the best for running in. I have a lot of knee and hip pain when I run and I am not sure if it has anything to do with running in the toning shoes or not. I really want to go to a running shoe store to get fitted and get a pair of good shoes that will hopefully help me run with less pain. My question is if I buy a pair of good running shoes will I need to "break them in" before I run the 5K? I won't be able to go shopping for them until Saturday and with the 5K being on Sunday that wouldn't leave me any time to break them in.

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    you need to get shoes for running....i highly suggest you get them NOW and get a few miles on them before your race...if you have a running store near you i would say go get fit and then if you can afford the shoes there buy them if not write down the brand and style number and head to D1ck's or sports authority and buy there....i bought my first 2 pairs from the running store and now just periodically go back to be fitted and buy from D1ck's with a coupon....
    good luck,
    denise
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    you need to get shoes for running....i highly suggest you get them NOW and get a few miles on them before your race...if you have a running store near you i would say go get fit and then if you can afford the shoes there buy them if not write down the brand and style number and head to D1ck's or sports authority and buy there....i bought my first 2 pairs from the running store and now just periodically go back to be fitted and buy from D1ck's with a coupon....
    good luck,
    denise

I don't know the answer but her question was does she need to break them in before the race.
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    HOnestly - I think you would be better off having good running shoes that aren't "broken in" rather than what you are using.

For sure you will feel an amazing difference with good shoes. If you can only pick them up on Saturday, then wear them around the house, etc. until Sunday.

My vote - get the good shoes and run like the wind! Good luck!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I agree you need new running shoes, but I'm of the belief don't do anything new for a race. Including running in new shoes if you don't get several runs in first.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    >>>HOnestly - I think you would be better off having good running shoes that aren't "broken in" rather than what you are using. <<<

TOTALLY agree! If at all possible, shop for your shoes at a store that also has a treadmill available or plenty of space to try them out. Wear the same socks you will plan to wear for your race, and really carefully test the shoes to make sure they will work for you. The first shoes I tried were highly recommended- and rubbed me a nasty blister the first time I ran in them. The second pair I bought, I tested in the store and they were great from the get-go, no breaking in really necessary.

Congrats and good luck on your first 5K.... have fun!!! :flowerforyou:
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    In general, please please get some good running shoes - and most importantly, get them fit at a running store if you can. For a long while I had nagging ITB issues in my knee and hip. While under the care of a physical therapist they noticed my running shoes that I wore for my workouts and asked me why I was wearing motion control shoes. I had been improperly told to buy them but I didn't pronate too much - in buying those shoes, I was messing up my knees and hips. Ouch.

That isn't necessarily why you are having hip and knee pain - a good, fitness oriented PT or sports medicine person would be able to diagnose that better... but excellent shoes are the best foundation. That and some very regular weight training. Weak glutes and legs make for sore knees and hips! (From what I've learned anyway, having made many mistakes throughout the years!)

You probably should at least do a short run in your shoes before you race though. It would stink to be uncomfortable on race day. :\
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    In general, please please get some good running shoes - and most importantly, get them fit at a running store if you can. For a long while I had nagging ITB issues in my knee and hip. While under the care of a physical therapist they noticed my running shoes that I wore for my workouts and asked me why I was wearing motion control shoes. I had been improperly told to buy them but I didn't pronate too much - in buying those shoes, I was messing up my knees and hips. Ouch.

That isn't necessarily why you are having hip and knee pain - a good, fitness oriented PT or sports medicine person would be able to diagnose that better... but excellent shoes are the best foundation. That and some very regular weight training. Weak glutes and legs make for sore knees and hips! (From what I've learned anyway, having made many mistakes throughout the years!)

You probably should at least do a short run in your shoes before you race though. It would stink to be uncomfortable on race day. :\
    That! I had the SAME issue. I bought was told to buy a pair of shoes for over pronation when I have neutral feet. It completely jacked up both knees and my right hip. I bought new shoes a week before my second half marathon and was only able to get in two short runs before my race. I was in SO much less pain running in new shoes than I was running in the wrong worn in shoes. I highly recommend you buy proper running shoes immeditately. It will spare you a lot of pain if that really is causing your issues.
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am going to try to go shopping for them on Wed so I can run at least once before the race. I am kind of skeptical that they could make that much difference but everyone says how important they are so I am willing to try it and see if it relieves some of my pain. Maybe I will enjoy running more once I get a good pair!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Get some flat Keds or Converse (usually canvas, flat foot, good thick rubber sole) or such and just use barefoot running technique.

May be better for your other problems which will just be abused more with normal running shoes. Because no matter what the padding, coming down on the heel is a shock to the joints.

Get the flat shoes for cheap, or barefoot inspired Vibram Five Fingers or Merril trail runners for much more.

Take faster turnover (87-92), and land flat/fore foot. Much better absorption for the shock.

Nice thing with Converse is the rubber does take some of the impact too, but you still train your body to take the shock in your mucles, not in your joints from landing heel first.

Little break-in needed, and for technique, you will be with sore calfs on Monday probably. And good knees. And you probably won't make the mistake of landing heel first more than a couple times.
  • Chrans
    Options
    Looks like she answered it to me.
  • michellebelle1
    michellebelle1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Definitely get good shoes! I have noticed with some of the best shoes (can't always afford them) that they don't really need breaking in. I still say a few blisters beat knee/hip pain.

If you decide to try barefoot/minimalist type shoes, I would NOT suggest doing so right before a race. While you may not need to break these shoes in very much, you should give your body time to adjust to this type of running.
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am super interested about the minimalist running too. I have heard people say they have to ease into doing it. My physical therapist did say that I need to run more on the balls of my feet and not strike with my heels. I've been rehabbing from hip surgery so I'm only trying it in the pool right now. It feels weird but good so far.

Someone at a running store once said that if you're flat footed that the barefoot running is not a great option. I wonder too about being very overweight and trying the barefoot running -if the lack of shock absorption matters because you're changing the mechanics of your running stride. I'd be interested to learn.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am super interested about the minimalist running too. I have heard people say they have to ease into doing it. My physical therapist did say that I need to run more on the balls of my feet and not strike with my heels. I've been rehabbing from hip surgery so I'm only trying it in the pool right now. It feels weird but good so far.

Someone at a running store once said that if you're flat footed that the barefoot running is not a great option. I wonder too about being very overweight and trying the barefoot running -if the lack of shock absorption matters because you're changing the mechanics of your running stride. I'd be interested to learn.

I started because I was skeptical, guy at work found article on it. Just Google barefoot running to see the principle ideas.
    Seen the comments of flatf-ooted folks commenting they got arches back actually.

So I had done it mainly on treadmill, so shock absorb also built in there. That helps a lot when starting out. Because I never got the calfs killing me effect for the first week some describe. May also have been when you do a slow pace, you automatically don't land so hard on the heel anyway, but almost flat-footed.

You can start leaning the technique in regular running shoes too, which helps alot, but your feet don't get stronger, just the better shock absorbing by your muscles, and those muscles get stronger.

You will actually learn to land almost flat footed, if not slightly more on ball, and then heel comes down to barely touch, before shifting back to ball to launch.
    Your turnover must be faster since you can't stride out that far and still land flat/ball foot.
    And you usually start out slower pace too.

You actually gain shock absorption too, by your muscles doing it, not this little piece of foam fooling you into thinking you are getting much. And after an injury I started it again with 10lbs extra weight than what I'd done before. No problems.

You do change your stride automatically, because one or two heel hits and you must.
    That's why starting in regular shoes can be done, but you must really pay attention that you are landing more on balls of feet.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    I bought some nice running shoes in Aug. and loved them and have put MANY miles on them.
    I have since WORN THEM OUT. They are doing me absolutely no good now and my feet hurt if I try and run in them now. Even a long walk is too much.
    My calves hurt and my knees and my lower back too. They have to go in the trash ASAP.
    I know I need new ones and NOW but I haven't gotten to the city to get any so I keep suffering through.
    I think the above runners advice are valid.
    I know I can really tell the difference when I have good new running shoes.

I hope you have a terrific day for your 5K and you have a lot of FUN!!
  • shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed this thread. By now you have either bought new shoes or not, so my input isn't too helpful. I wore old shoes initially when I started running and could tell a difference in my knees after getting fitted for the shoes I have now. I am so glad I invested in a pair of good shoes. Looks like some others are into this barefoot running experience too. Isn't it interesting that something like running can have so many opinions and techniques? Anyway, I hope your race goes well. Let us know how you do. :smile:
  • LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had knee pain when running, too. It was starting to substantially interfere, and the downhills killed my knees so bad I had to walk down them. They were also limiting how long I could run.

Then I found the Muzino Wave Creation 12 (the one with the plastic platform and an open heel; here's a pic: http://www.icie2.com/mens-mizuno-wave-creation-12-running-shoe-charcoal-yellow-9/1104337/product/)

Cannot describe how wonderful these shoes are. Within a few runs I couldn't even feel my knees. Within a few more runs I was able to go much further because there was no pain. After running in them for several months, I can now run down steep hills - even really fast where the pounding on the knees is harsh - and still no knee pain at all.

Also don't forget stretching after every run. As you build muscles by the ITB, they can make things contract around your hip and cause hip pain that can become quite severe. Make sure you are stretching the muscles along the sides of your hips so you really feel it where your thigh muscles connect to your rear. I neglected this and the pain got to be so terrible I could hardly walk. After four sessions with a physical therapist, showing me stretching excercise for that area, the pain is completely gone. As long as I do the stretches - even if not after every run but at least once or twice a week - I'm as good as new.
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone for the comments. Unfortunately new shoes were not in the budget right now so I ran in my toning shoes. I did pretty well for my first time, ran the whole thing and finished in 33:28, My knees and hips don't feel too great today but they aren't as bad as I thought they would be. I hope to be able to afford some nice new shoes after the new year.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone for the comments. Unfortunately new shoes were not in the budget right now so I ran in my toning shoes. I did pretty well for my first time, ran the whole thing and finished in 33:28, My knees and hips don't feel too great today but they aren't as bad as I thought they would be. I hope to be able to afford some nice new shoes after the new year.

You may want to lay off running and take up cycling or someother exercise until you can get proper shoes. It's really bad to run in the wrong shoes.