food scales

Options
I want to get one to measure my meat portions when I eat meat do you know where I can get good one? also do you mesaure the meat before it is cooked?

thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I want to get one to measure my meat portions when I eat meat do you know where I can get good one? also do you mesaure the meat before it is cooked?

thanks in advance!!!
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You can get them anywhere. The digital ones I hear are best. I bought a little $5 at target that goes up to 16 oz. It works fine for me.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    You measure anything before it is cooked. Just like packaged foods, the weight given is before cooking. There would be no way to know how much you were going to end up with if you weighed it after the fact. Good question though, Im sure alot of people do it the wrong way. Like a 4 oz steak doesn't weigh 4 oz after it's cooked, but you pay for the whole 4 oz when you buy it. A "good" food scale you can get at a resaurant supply store but you're going to pay a pretty penny for. One that you can use for everyday food weighing you can get anywhere. Any department store will have them.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    You can get them anywhere. The digital ones I hear are best. I bought a little $5 at target that goes up to 16 oz. It works fine for me.

ohhh, i need to get me one! just what i need, an excuse to go to target! yea! :flowerforyou:
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

ohhh, i need to get me one! just what i need, an excuse to go to target! yea! :flowerforyou:

HAHA..they had a pretty good selection. I bought the little tiny one though because I am just measuring my food. They ranged from $5- $85.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I got a rather cheap one ($12) from Meijer and it works just fine. I'm not sure if they don't make ones with this feature, but just be sure you get one with a detachable food tray so it can be easily washed....dishwasher safe isn't necessary as I often just scrub mine in the sink between foods.

My only complaint is that it can be a little hard to read when working with grams because the lines are so small, but since I quite often deal with ounces I am happy with it. But if I ever did replace it I would probably go digital to be more accurate. But I think you'll find that once you're used to weighing certain foods, you'll beging to be able to eyeball how much the correct weight is, so it's up to you how much you want to spend.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have a flat electronic one. I like it because I put a small plate on it BEFORE I turn it on, that way it's registering at 0oz with the plate on it so you can just put on what you want to measure and keep the scales clean. Also works wonders when you're trying to get every ounce or gram's worth of ice cream or something. :glasses:
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have a flat electronic one. I like it because I put a small plate on it BEFORE I turn it on, that way it's registering at 0oz with the plate on it so you can just put on what you want to measure and keep the scales clean. Also works wonders when you're trying to get every ounce or gram's worth of ice cream or something. :glasses:

Wow, now this I didn't know and it was no where in the literature that came with it. Now I know how to save all those baggies I was using up!:wink:
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    thanks I will look for one tommorrow when I go shopping!!! thanks everyone
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    I got a rather cheap one ($12) from Meijer and it works just fine. I'm not sure if they don't make ones with this feature, but just be sure you get one with a detachable food tray so it can be easily washed....dishwasher safe isn't necessary as I often just scrub mine in the sink between foods.

My only complaint is that it can be a little hard to read when working with grams because the lines are so small, but since I quite often deal with ounces I am happy with it. But if I ever did replace it I would probably go digital to be more accurate. But I think you'll find that once you're used to weighing certain foods, you'll beging to be able to eyeball how much the correct weight is, so it's up to you how much you want to spend.

i like 'rather cheap'! :smokin:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yep, definitely make sure you get one that you can tare (zero) so you can measure each individual item (and not the plate or bowl, or food already in it!).
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I have one like paulamama, too. It's really nice since you don't put the food directly on it, you don't have to keep cleaning it after every use.