Jawbone UP... Should it stay or should it go??

Options
In all the excitement of buying the Jawbone UP yesterday night I didn't think about size! I realized too late that it's too small so I have to exchange it but after reading reviews today I'm wondering if I should return it??? Anyone else got one & have some feedback on whether it's worth giving it a try or if I'm going to need to worry about it freezing up like most reviews I've seen??

Replies

• sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chefgorman
    chefgorman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    what in the world is this?
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Speedtrap
    Options
    Try looking at the Fitbit, better value and it syncs wireless
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Seems like another gadget to get your $100 but thats just me. Personally there are 100's of apps that do much of this and looking at your success thus far, what are you hoping the added benefit to be? Everything is a guestimate, nothing 100% accurate and whatever you do, you just have to be consistent and committed, not sure this gadget will imporve your results. Is that what you are hoping it will do??

Just curious....
  • Theresa0577
    Options
    I saw this at target - is this the bracelet thing? I wanted one myself, but I thought about it and thought "I know what to do I just need to do it, and not have a machine tell me what to do, when I know what to do" soo i opted on taking that $100 and going to get skinny jeans for my goal :)
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    In all the excitement of buying the Jawbone UP yesterday night I didn't think about size! I realized too late that it's too small so I have to exchange it but after reading reviews today I'm wondering if I should return it??? Anyone else got one & have some feedback on whether it's worth giving it a try or if I'm going to need to worry about it freezing up like most reviews I've seen??

I bought it before reading some reviews. Apparently, it does not have the ability to register arm movements. So, if you're riding a stationary bike, it won't register any movement. It's basically a souped up pedometer. Mine's going back.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I never even heard of it...
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing mine know... I LOVE IT!!! My son bought it for my Christmas present but wasn't sure if I'd like it. It doesn't hold the battery for 10 days like it said it would, after 4 days I needed to charge it but I love finding out how many steps I take in a day. I also always wondered after a good nights sleep why I still felt exhausted, well thanks to UP I found out I only sleep deeply for about 2-3 hours per night and I toss and turn for a hour. It's really neat, it's worth $99 to me.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options

I bought it before reading some reviews. Apparently, it does not have the ability to register arm movements. So, if you're riding a stationary bike, it won't register any movement. It's basically a souped up pedometer. Mine's going back.

you can use the GPS portion of it to track your arm movements.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I totally thought this was going to be about bluetooth....:laugh:
  • kit548emt
    Options
    I got it and it's neat but they need to add a lot of stuff. I've had mine for 3 weeks and it stopped working, waiting for a replacement. It doesn't track calories, and if I do strength training for 45 min it will say I only burned 80 calories which I know isn't true. I'd wait until they add more features, if you can take it back, I would.
  • kit548emt
    Options
    How do you do that? It didn't really come with "instructions" and the website didn't offer much more.
    you can use the GPS portion of it to track your arm movements.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I investigated a number of similar items and was on the verge of buying one. But, I decided to buy a Caltrac. They're far cheaper and, in my opinion, just as good if not better. But, it all depends on what you want. It doesn't log such things as weight lifting but the Caltrac does. I sort of think it's probably not worth it but it's your money and your decision.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Return it and buy a quality HRM for a similar price. The only thing this really is is a glorified alarm clock and motion sensor after reading how it tracks stuff. With MFP and an HRM, you can do the same things without any problems. There is also a chest strap for iPhone if you want something that works with your phone. I prefer Polar just because it is tried and true with science. :)
  • Jay0hwhy
    Options
    i use a bodymedia fit (bodybugg) instead of the UP and love it. yes, it costs a little more, but it has more features. however, its larger than the up
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    I had two. They both died. :[ Apparently pretty enormous flaw with the band.
  • goldfinger88
    Options
    It was thoughtful of your son to get it and I know that makes it special. But really, a cheap pedometer will tell you how many steps you take. And if you're like me, you know you don't sleep well or enough. And what can you do about it anyway? I mean, the UP won't help you get a good night's sleep.
  • goldfinger88
    Options
    Return it and buy a quality HRM for a similar price. The only thing this really is is a glorified alarm clock and motion sensor after reading how it tracks stuff. With MFP and an HRM, you can do the same things without any problems. There is also a chest strap for iPhone if you want something that works with your phone. I prefer Polar just because it is tried and true with science. :)

An HRM doesn't work for all people. For example, those on certain drugs. Moreover, as another poster said, it's all a guesstimate. Your heart rate is just a guess as to how many calories you burn. What really matters is just doing it. Exercising the best way you can and watching your diet. These gadgets are designed to get money out of people's wallets.