Almond Butter

Options
I imagine that almond butter, like with most nuts, should only be eaten in moderation due to its high fat content. I am thinking about making my own almond butter with just almonds and maybe a little olive oil. But my question is: does almond butter on a healthy piece of multigrain bread taste good and is it a healthy and/or filling snack?

Replies

• caramel1920
    Options
    Almond butter is delicious and filling! It's not as sweet as peanut butter but I like it because it's simple and not as processed as peanut butter with all the additives and long list of ingredients! But again, it's delicious!
  • overweightmike
    Options
    Almond butter is delicious and filling! It's not as sweet as peanut butter but I like it because it's simple and not as processed as peanut butter with all the additives and long list of ingredients! But again, it's delicious!

Awesome - it sounds great! I love almonds but have never had almond butter before. I'm excited to make it though - do you know how long it is good for refrigerated?
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I love almond butter. I do not eat nuts in super moderation, either. I eat almond butter and/or peanut butter a minimum of once a day, and I eat at least one portion of raw almonds-usually two-daily. I'd say three servings a day is not super moderate. lol I'm still losing. Nuts have good fats. Fat aren't the reason that we got fat...
  • overweightmike
    Options
    I love almond butter. I do not eat nuts in super moderation, either. I eat almond butter and/or peanut butter a minimum of once a day, and I eat at least one portion of raw almonds-usually two-daily. I'd say three servings a day is not super moderate. lol I'm still losing. Nuts have good fats. Fat aren't the reason that we got fat...

That's good to know because I pretty much love all kinds of nuts. And I can myself eating a lot of almond butter once I figure out how to make it!
  • caramel1920
    Options
    Awesome - it sounds great! I love almonds but have never had almond butter before. I'm excited to make it though - do you know how long it is good for refrigerated?
    [/quote]

Not sure exactly how long refigerated but refigerating it lasts longer than at room temperature. I usually don't keep mine longer than a couple of weeks but that's because I typically eat it everyday!:)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

If you're eating a bread made out of the whole grain, that combo will give you at least a mid-level GI food. Add some almond butter and it will drop the GI so the food will take quite some time to digest.

Taste? It didn't appeal to me that much, tastewise, so I went back to peanut butter (at 1/3 the price). Can't beat the nutrients, though!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt put olive oil in it...that sounds gross
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2011/06/how-to-make-nut-butter.html

I buy freshly ground almond butter @ my local grocery store. It's a big machine that crushes the almonds (or peanuts), but I don't think there is any olive oil in there, but I could be wrong.

In any event, good luck because natural almond butter tastes soooooo much better versus the stuff you buy @ the grocery store!
  • overweightmike
    Options
    http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2011/06/how-to-make-nut-butter.html

I buy freshly ground almond butter @ my local grocery store. It's a big machine that crushes the almonds (or peanuts), but I don't think there is any olive oil in there, but I could be wrong.

In any event, good luck because natural almond butter tastes soooooo much better versus the stuff you buy @ the grocery store!

Yeah I think I got mixed up between the almond butter recipe I was looking at and a hummus recipe - no olive oil, oops!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

You do realize you can get peanut butter that is just made of peanuts, right? It's just as "unprocessed" as almond butter that is just made of almonds...

I prefer almond butter only due to a matter of taste - it's much more mild tasting than peanut butter, but I love peanut butter too!
  • lindseyb317
    lindseyb317 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    certain blenders are strong enough to crush up almonds, peanuts, etc. into a butter. you can make it as creamy or chunky as you want. as for the taste, i LOVE almond butter. sunflower seed butter is also very good.

nutrient wise, each nut has their own nutritional values but are pretty comparable. i would say rotate between different butters you like, or pick your favorite.
  • taaynicolee
    Options
    Yes! That is one of my favorite meals. The fat content are all good fats (monounsaturated, polyunsaturated), plus the protein content is amazing so it keeps you feeling full and satisfied :)
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I love almond butter. I made my own for a while until I burned out the motor of my Ninja ha ha. I would add very small amounts of olive oil and dashes of salt when needed for flavoring.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't know if we're supposed to mention brands, but Vitamix makes one hefty blender. You can easily make almond butter in it...all you need are almonds. Grind them up to the consistency you prefer. I like 'em raw because you get the fat from the almond in its most healthy state. Probably any blender will work. I don't refrigerate mine at all. I'd think that would make the butter hard to spread.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Kind of off topic-ish but has anyone had any experience with making their own almond milk? I'd love to give it a try but don't want to waste a bunch of money!

Also, I LOVE nuts and nut butters of all sorts. I could eat it out of the jar!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I love almond butter. I made my own for a while until I burned out the motor of my Ninja ha ha. I would add very small amounts of olive oil and dashes of salt when needed for flavoring.

Really? My Fleshlight still works.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've been making my own almond butter the last couple of months and it goes well on bread, bananas, crackers, toast, or just a big old spoonful of it as a snack!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    That's good to know because I pretty much love all kinds of nuts. And I can myself eating a lot of almond butter once I figure out how to make it!

simple really...and oh so delicious
    http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-make-almond-butter/
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I don't do almond butter in moderation. There are days when it makes up 40% of my intake.

I wouldn't do olive oil either, unless it was a light, (as in lighter flavored) olive oil. You can get almond oil at the store or use coconut oil.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Kind of off topic-ish but has anyone had any experience with making their own almond milk? I'd love to give it a try but don't want to waste a bunch of money!

Also, I LOVE nuts and nut butters of all sorts. I could eat it out of the jar!

You can definitely make your own almond milk. However, it would be WAY more expensive to make a batch because you would need a lot of almonds to make it worth your time.