To the men:

Options
Found this article today:

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/02/22/8-reasons-you-need-to-rediscover-your-passion-for-exercise/

One line reflected a thought I've been having recently:

"Every man should be able to save his own life and protect his children and spouse."

Time to admit it...I fell off the wagon. After losing a good bit of weight and stalling, I lost motivation. But, over the past week I've had a fire lit under my bum and one of the thoughts that has helped spark it is "What if I need to protect my wife and/or kids?" I'm in no position to do it!

I've come to the realization that my fitness isn't just for my own sake...it could be for my family's as well.

This is my new driving force: To be the man that my family needs!

From the same article:

"Rediscovering a passion for exercise goes far beyond just elevating your heart rate and shedding a few unwanted pounds. If you really want to be the best husband to your wife, best father to your sons and daughters, and ultimately the best man you can be, it’s time to make your physical well-being one of your top priorities."

Replies

• Chrans
    Options
    This is a great motivator for anyone looking to get back in the gym or even just to loose some weight. I will put this in the motivation notes on my iPod. I keep track of these that can and do motivate me for the times when I want to stop running or the times that I feel like cutting my workout a little short.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    I always think of this scenerio..
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    "Every man should be able to save his own life and protect his children and spouse."

I love this mentality, and have taken it so much further, from stocking up a little extra food (6 months worth), to learning self-defense, firearms, basic electrical/mechanical/plumbing fundamentals, orienteering, and many, many more skills.

I really like the fitness aspect of it. Ever tried to carry an injured family member on your back should they take a mechanical injury on a remote hike, or just be able to carry their gear for them? It's something as simple as that that could make a world of difference. We should never put ourselves in a position where we are relying on others for our salvation.

Great article and topic!
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I love this mentality, and have taken it so much further, from stocking up a little extra food (6 months worth), to learning self-defense, firearms, basic electrical/mechanical/plumbing fundamentals, orienteering, and many, many more skills.

I really like the fitness aspect of it. Ever tried to carry an injured family member on your back should they take a mechanical injury on a remote hike, or just be able to carry their gear for them? It's something as simple as that that could make a world of difference. We should never put ourselves in a position where we are relying on others for our salvation.

Great article and topic!

I think we have the same mindset!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I agree. Thanks for the article.
  • gersoco
    gersoco Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks, great post.. I would just add that it doesn't hurt that being fit means you protect your family while looking good.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Great article and topic!

I know this topic was supposed to be for men, but well, I'm one of those that if the big red button says "don't push," yeah you get the idea.

My husband and I talk a lot about survival situations in general. He's only about 35 lbs heavier than me, just an inch taller than me, and I can carry him piggy back and of course he can carry me. We both carry (firearms) as well, and practice shooting at the range both together and on our own. We stock up non-perishables and also kerosene. We each have little bags with basic essentials ready to go, just in case. We know basic first aid. He's an Eagle Scout. He also shares his knowledge of wilderness survival with his wife. We have our plan for the zombie apocalypse down.

So from a woman's perspective on this topic, do I appreciate everything my husband does to make sure he can take care of me?

Absolutely.