Job woes...

Options
Tailea
Tailea Posts: 84 Member
I lost my job in November (nanny). I've applied EVERYWHERE for EVERYTHING (I'm talking from other nanny jobs to McDonald's to jobs at the mall and random jobs on craigslist) but nobody has called or emailed me back. I think the economy probably has a lot to do with it, since people are losing their jobs and I doubt many of these places are really hiring even if they do have hiring signs in the windows.

My fiance is having a hard time being the only one with an income in our house right now. We both have 2007 model cars and the big payments and insurance that comes with them, as well as credit card debt, rent, and medical bills.

I already had depression before all of this transpired but now I really just don't even want to get out of bed in the morning. :sad:

Replies

• Tailea
    Options
    I lost my job in November (nanny). I've applied EVERYWHERE for EVERYTHING (I'm talking from other nanny jobs to McDonald's to jobs at the mall and random jobs on craigslist) but nobody has called or emailed me back. I think the economy probably has a lot to do with it, since people are losing their jobs and I doubt many of these places are really hiring even if they do have hiring signs in the windows.

My fiance is having a hard time being the only one with an income in our house right now. We both have 2007 model cars and the big payments and insurance that comes with them, as well as credit card debt, rent, and medical bills.

I already had depression before all of this transpired but now I really just don't even want to get out of bed in the morning. :sad:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Honey, keep getting up every day and putting on that happy face.
    Times are tough, but giving up won't help. Keep your chin up with a smile on that face.
    I hope things turn around for you soon . :flowerforyou:
  • Tailea
    Options
    Thank you. It's just hard not to stay in bed all day and cry because my fiance and I have last minute wedding prep to do (94 days until the wedding) and the money stuff and the wedding stuff is just making everything in my apartment really stressful. :brokenheart:
  • princesslisa88
    Options
    I know what it is like to be laid off... It's not a fun time. Have you looked at creating money a non-traditional way? I hooked up with a business team right before I got laid off and it helped create some income during that time. I have since found a job but I continue with my part-time income as times are definitely tough and nothing can be certain... I also like having a car and roof over my head and the part-time income allowed me to keep those things without getting real behind. Anyway, just thought I would throw out the solution/idea so you can keep going with your wedding and keep current on your bills... I hate that those bills come in the mail so frequently!!!!!!

I hope this helps! :smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It's just hard not to stay in bed all day and cry because my fiance and I have last minute wedding prep to do (94 days until the wedding) and the money stuff and the wedding stuff is just making everything in my apartment really stressful. :brokenheart:

I can only imagine. :brokenheart: :flowerforyou: :brokenheart:

(When I have no good advice, I just give smilie face flowers!!)
  • Tailea
    Options
    Have you looked at creating money a non-traditional way? I hooked up with a business team right before I got laid off and it helped create some income during that time.

I'm not really sure what you mean. I will try pretty much anything right now (anything legal anyway :laugh: ). How did you do this?
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that :( Have you tried putting your CV online or going through an agency?
  • princesslisa88
    Options
    Email me. My addy is in my profile. I will send you some information.
  • Tailea
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that :( Have you tried putting your CV online or going through an agency?

Yeah, I have. I've gotten all of my nanny jobs in the past through agencies and I've been searching for other jobs the same way. It's been three months and I've only gotten two calls, neither of which ever called me back when I returned them.
  • Tailea
    Options
    (When I have no good advice, I just give smilie face flowers!!)

I appreciate them!
  • GAB2008
    GAB2008 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean about finding a job. It's so frusterating and almost humiliating. I dread hitting the pavement day after day, scrambling to get a job, and only finding that you're either not qualified or hearing nothing back. I have been searching for a job for over two months! It's a really depressing feeling, especially because of the season, but you just have to remember that the sun will shine again and the economy WILL eventually get better. Keep your chin up and keep looking.
  • Tizzle23
    Options
    Im really sorry it's tuff times right now, my husband is laid off to and it's really hard I have been very stressed out and depressed. You might want to look into some depression managment books that what I have been thinking about doing they seem to really help from what I understand. Just take it one day at a time things will get better within time just hang in there :flowerforyou:
  • Tailea
    Options
    You might want to look into some depression managment books that what I have been thinking about doing they seem to really help from what I understand.

Unfortunately books haven't helped me. My PCP put me on fluoxetine but it did not help, and she will not prescribe me anything else unless I see the psychiatrist SHE wants me to see (whom I refuse to go to because I do not want to see a male and his wife was my old PCP who I did not get along with at all). I'm trying to find a new PCP who accepts my fiance's insurance since I will only be on my parents' insurance for a few more months until I get married (I'm in college). I don't even know if meds would help and I hate the idea of taking them, but it may be my only option at this point.
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for you :sad:
    It is tough for every one, and as they say there is always someone worse off so you should be grateful but it is hard!!!
    Keep plugging away something will turn up eventually although it will seem like forever until it does ..hang on in there.
    At least you will be getting married and that should be a joyful event to look forward to, maybe not at the original costs if it's not too late to alter things and try and save some cash that way??

:flowerforyou:
  • Tailea
    Options
    At least you will be getting married and that should be a joyful event to look forward to, maybe not at the original costs if it's not too late to alter things and try and save some cash that way??

:flowerforyou:

We're not paying for the wedding (thank god), my mom is. I don't have any friends in MA where we live, though, so all of the planning is totally on me. My bridesmaids live in Florida and Texas. I know that having to pay for everything would increase the stress an unimaginable amount, but I'm still having a hard time with it. We haven't been able to send out our invites yet (we can't afford the postage) and our rsvp date is March 10th, so most people probably won't be able to go due to lack of time to prepare (it's a cruise ship wedding). My mom would probably help us with the invites but she decided on a whim last week to go on a cruise Feb 14th for 8 days with my stepdad and little brother so she's not even in the country right now. I probably sound like such a brat in this thread.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Have you tried online Agentcy's? Like sittercity.com, care.com, and nannies4hire.com.
  • Tailea
    Options
    Yep! Those are the agencies I was talking about when I said I use them. I got a response last week to an application, but I never got the call the email told me to expect.
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    You're hurting. Thank you for sharing your pain. I cannot imagine the pain you are going thru. You always hear about light therapy boxes and its benefits. Have you considered giving it a try? Right now, everything is weighing you down. Take good care of your health. I wish you well. Keep posting of your progress. Professional help if it's what you need right now then, it's what you need. Life is too short to be suffering this way and if a professional can offer you help, perhaps it's a good idea to check it out. Take good care.
  • Tizzle23
    Options
    I also saw this thing on tv called lacenda basset it's a series of cd's that help manage depression it's like 500 bucks but I see them on craigslist for sell you can call then and get a free intro cd I got it and listened to it, it's really interesting.
  • Tailea
    Options
    I also saw this thing on tv called lacenda basset it's a series of cd's that help manage depression it's like 500 bucks but I see them on craigslist for sell you can call then and get a free intro cd I got it and listened to it, it's really interesting.

Unfortunately the only route I could go when it comes to my depression is getting a new doc who will reffer me to another psych, because my parents would help me pay for that. My fiance and I have no money whatsoever to spend on anything other than bills and life necessities like food.

I'll write that down, though, and look into it once I find work. Thank you!