Whole cucumber really under 50 calories?

Options
I've been looking around the net trying to find a definitive answer on cucumber calories and from everything I've seen a whole cucumber has somewhere in the vicinity of 50 calories. Is this really true? I almost felt guilty adding it to my diary because it seems like it should be more to me...probably because I love them! I hope it is accurate because they are cheap and yummy!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• amakayg
    amakayg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some cucumbers :(

I was going to buy them last night but I got turned off by some sticky residue on the one's they had at the grocery store I went to.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    that's probably right... they're made of mostly water..... when i make a salad, sometimes i dont even bother logging them... same with onions..
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes it's correct...Cucumbers are mostly water and have very few calories...I love them!! :tongue:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers are essentially photosynthesized water so yes, they really are very low in calories.

I like to peel a giant cucumber and chow down - forget cutting it up or adding it to anything - I just bite right in.
  • MommyLyssa
    Options
    ha! I am surprised that it is even 50 calories! The whole thing is just water :)
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    a lot of raw / steamed veggies are super low cal.

Enjoy!
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yup! Like folks said, it's mainly water. I sometimes slice a whole cucumber and bring it to work as part of my lunch or a snack. I can eat the slices mindlessly, like chips, but they're soooo much healthier.
  • Manysongs
    Options
    Yes, they really are very low in calories! I love 'em especially with a little fresh squeezed lemon juice.. YUM!!

10879315.png
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I love them with lemon and chile :love:
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers are very low in calories, which is why they don't taste all that great. You won't see me eating a whole cucumber with any sort of enjoyment. I do try to included vegetables (*grumble*) when I can, however.
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yumm, that reminds me of cucumber slices and vinegar, will make some for tomorrow.
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    Gotta love them!!
    I wish they weren't so expensive. I love eating them like a banana :)