sickly skinny?

Options
My cousin who is 5'4" 175 pounds told my friend who is 5'9" and 115 pounds that she and her bf think my friend is sickly skinny and they don't think she looks good. It made me mad. My friend isn't like starving herself it's just how she is built. tall and thin. I got mad and told my cousin how would you like it if I said my bf and I think you are repulsivly fat? She freaked out and said i was being rude. IMO SHE was being just as rude when she said that to my friend. Am I right or is she?

Replies

• MsWhiteParks
    MsWhiteParks Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Definately you! People can give but not take... The truth hurts! X
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Everybody is clearly built differently, and every person is beautiful in their own way. Nobody has the right to tell another person how they should look; that is that person's choice and only theirs.
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    You are right. When you say someone is gross looking, whether it's from being skinny or being fat, it's hurtful. I hear people say all the time "Don't make fun of overweight people because you don't know if they have a medical condition," but it's ok to make fun of someone who is under weight? In my personal experience, more skinny people can't help it than fat people. I got fat because I ate like *kitten* and never exercised. Yes, I'm genetically predisposed to gain weight easier, but there were things I could've done to prevent it.

I also refuse to believe that over 30% of the US population has a thyroid problem.

Sorry for the rant, but that's one thing that pisses me off.
  • MsWhiteParks
    MsWhiteParks Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You are right. When you say someone is gross looking, whether it's from being skinny or being fat, it's hurtful. I hear people say all the time "Don't make fun of overweight people because you don't know if they have a medical condition," but it's ok to make fun of someone who is under weight? In my personal experience, more skinny people can't help it than fat people. I got fat because I ate like *kitten* and never exercised. Yes, I'm genetically predisposed to gain weight easier, but there were things I could've done to prevent it.

I also refuse to believe that over 30% of the US population has a thyroid problem.

Sorry for the rant, but that's one thing that pisses me off.

LMFAO!!!

Sorry I shouldn't laugh but I 100% agree with you! Especially the thyroid thing! I have said the same about the statistics for Britain!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Obviously she was rude, and in fact just downright mean. Technically you were rude to her, too, but... who can blame you?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    two wrongs don't make a right...and all that
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You're right. They were being rude. I think any comment about weight is rude. You don't see people going around saying, "Wow! You're getting fat! You should eat less..." So why should people say, "You're sickly skinny, you should eat more."

Each is equally as rude and insensitive. If someone goes on telling me that I look sickly skinny, I'm going to tell them that they should eat less. That will shut them up.
  • Lily_1
    Lily_1 Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm 5'6 - 100lbs and I have been for my entire adult life. I look wonderfully toned with 6pack abs great arms legs and beautiful body. I practice yoga often. I love myself. People would tell me eat a sandwich etc. I simply laugh. Judgment is not for us to judge others. I joined MFP to track my eating habits and to ensure I am getting proper nutrition to remain healthy and live a long time. Everyone is beautiful and no one is sickly skinny that is harsh judgement. However there are some who have ED, of which I do not and to joke about such things is immature and ignorant. Let's not take this too seriously what others say. We are all one and much more alike than we are different. Humanity has more serious issues we face vs. arguing about weight. Peace.
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    People don't seem to think it is rude to openly comment when they think someone is too thin. I've been very thin I am 5'7 and I weighed 122 pounds. People were always asking me if I had an eating disorder, was on drugs you name it they asked it. I gained weight and was 195 pounds and people say woah ! what happened to you ? People need to keep their trap shut, because I certainly don't want to hear their opinion. I'm even on the defense when someone is trying to give me a compliment. Make it short and sweet please.

anyway you are right. It is rude to criticize anybody about their weight or appearance- thin or otherwise.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Obviously she was rude, and in fact just downright mean. Technically you were rude to her, too, but... who can blame you?

I agree. Who does she think she is telling her that? Based on her stats she isn't in a healthy weight so she should keep her opinions to herself. I've noticed a lot of overweight people who feel uncomfortable with their bodies judge smaller people WAY TOO harshly.
    I would have said the same thing as you did lol.