Very confused...HELP!!!

Options
OK, I have been trying to lose a few (5) pounds for a couple of months on here...Now my husband and I have decided to try for baby number 7. (It will be my 4th). I know we sound crazy, but anyway...I have been eating 1200 cal. a day, and my extra cals. for exercise. Do I need to eat more now that we are trying to get pregnant, or the same until I actually get the job done? Then how many calories should I be eating a day? I gained 41 pounds with the last 3, and don't want to do that again. I heard a pregnant woman only needs to eat 300 extra cals. a day. Does anyone have any views on this, as I really want another baby, but I want to do this really healthily (is that a word??) this time. Thanks!

Replies

• abrooks77
    abrooks77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    OK, I have been trying to lose a few (5) pounds for a couple of months on here...Now my husband and I have decided to try for baby number 7. (It will be my 4th). I know we sound crazy, but anyway...I have been eating 1200 cal. a day, and my extra cals. for exercise. Do I need to eat more now that we are trying to get pregnant, or the same until I actually get the job done? Then how many calories should I be eating a day? I gained 41 pounds with the last 3, and don't want to do that again. I heard a pregnant woman only needs to eat 300 extra cals. a day. Does anyone have any views on this, as I really want another baby, but I want to do this really healthily (is that a word??) this time. Thanks!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    The whole "eating for two" is a load...
    If you are okay with your current weight (minus those pesky 5 lbs) I say eat to MAINTAIN... which means you may want to reset your goals to maintain....not lose.
    You want to make sure you are getting all the nutrients you and the baby will need (it's the Child Development teacher coming out in me...sorry).
    A "healthy" weight gain is about 25-30lbs and usually that isn't all fat... fluids (amniotic, etc), placenta, baby weight, water weight....etc.
    Get plenty of vitamin rich foods and keep an eye on the types of fish (mercury).
    :flowerforyou:
  • abrooks77
    Options
    Do you think I should do that now? Or wait until I am actually pregnant? Thank you for the advice!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I think that is up to you.
    If you REALLY want those 5lbs off.... I'd continue to try to lose them.
    If you are kinda....ehhh about em... I would start maintaining now, cause it will probably be a huge readjustment so it may take a while to get used to it.
    Also, I do believe you are correct about the extra 300 calories and that isn't til usually later in the pregnancy.
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You don't need to add calories until you're actually pregnant.

For instance - I exercised every day throughout my fourth pregnancy (I was 39 years old) and kept my daily calorie intake between 1700 and 1900. I had a 24 pound weight gain, a 7 pound, 11 ounce healthy baby and the active phase of my labor was 3 hours and 32 minutes. :happy: I went home in pre-pregnancy pants, and at my 1 week check I had lost 18 of those 24 pounds.

For lactation I increased my calories to 2000.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My jazzercise instructor worked out with us 3 nights a week high impact up until the day before she delivered, so if your a healthy mom that doesn't have issues, I would say follow your dr.s advice on calorie consumption and workout as usual.....when she came back to check on us a week after delivery, you couldn't even tell she just had a baby, she look the same as when she first got pregnant!

I would say continue trying til your carryin' baby.

Good luck to you and family! I can't wait to start ours :)

:flowerforyou:
  • abrooks77
    Options
    Thank y'all for the comments - I am really excited about the whole pregnancy thing...but I know I can do it without looking like a whale when it's all over! If anyone else has any advice or stories I'd love to hear it!
  • valeriecarstens
    Options
    Five extra pounds is the perfect amount to help you get pregnant. Stop weighing yourself and start eating like you are expecting. That doesn't mean overeating -- just eat healthy. No alcohol. Prenatal vitamins, plus DHA. Extra orange and green foods. Plenty of calcium. Heavy on the good fats. The folate is the most important.

When you are expecting is the ONLY time you will be able to control the nutrition your child gets, so make the most of it. Savor each day of your pregnancy. You're helping God perform a miracle!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    folic acid I hear as well is very important early on... anyone care to verify?
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    folic acid I hear as well is very important early on... anyone care to verify?

Yes, it is important.
    It's the main prevention against Spina Bifida (I hope I spelled that right).