What the heck is it!?!?

Options
Ok so I see people "in Ketosis" all the tiime... but what I want to know is what the heck is it and why do you do it/how do you do it? What does it do? any help on this would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Basically, it's the metabolism of fat. When your body burns through the glucose available to it, either from intense exercise, a shortage of insulin (type 1 diabetics get diabetic ketosis, which they generally want to avoid), or a low carb diet, the body starts burning fat.

Ketosis can be very hard on your liver and makes many people smell like acetone.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I was wondering that as well. Someone was talking about testing their urine and I knew right there it wasn't for me LOL

:flowerforyou:
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Basically, it's the metabolism of fat. When your body burns through the glucose available to it, either from intense exercise, a shortage of insulin (type 1 diabetics get diabetic ketosis, which they generally want to avoid), or a low carb diet, the body starts burning fat.

Ketosis can be very hard on your liver and makes many people smell like acetone.

Diabetics can get diabetic ketoacidosis. This is not the same as benign dietary ketosis. :)
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is the presence of ketone bodies in one's urine and blood. Ketones are the byproducts of fat metabolism. Usually, with adequate carb intake, your body burns carbs for energy. All carbohydrates convert to sugar in the body (with the exception of fiber). However, when you eat extremely low carb (under 75 g net, daily, is a good rule), your body begins to burn both its own stored fats and your dietary fat directly for energy.

Ketosis turns your appetite down and gets rid of 95% of sweets cravings after a while. (That said, if you stare at a case of cupcakes, you bet your butt you'll have cravings no matter what your metabolism is doing! lol) Ketosis is a natural biological response that tells your body it's time to burn your fat for energy.

Ketosis doesn't only occur in low-carb dieters, though. It can occur after strenuous exercise or after a very high fat meal as well. Personally, I use ketosis as a tool to control cravings and burn fat. For me, it works. I use it intermittently to stimulate my metabolism. When I'm ketogenic, my macros are usually 5% carb, 30% protein and 65% fat.

There is no solid evidence that benign dietary ketosis is harmful to the body that I've read. Some argue it's bad on the kidneys, but the studies I've read suggest it has a benign effect on the body. That said, there IS some truth behind "acetone" breath. Ketones are acetic, which means they really can make your breath smell funky. They don't for me, but for some, they do.

Also, be advised: Ketosis DOES NOT equal ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis is a potentially fatal condition in type 1 diabetics. It should never be confused with benign dietary ketosis. The presence of ketones in the blood of someone with type 1 (not type 2) diabetes signals that their insulin levels are at dangerous levels and can lead to diabetic coma. This. Is. Not. The. Same. As. Ketosis. :)