cooking with wine

so if i broil fish in a pan and have, lets say, a half glass of white wine it the pan.

after cooking, does the caloric content of the wine change/ is the alcohol burned off leaving wine (sause) with less calories?

Replies

• to check if you've removed most or all of the alcohol, try lighting it on fire after it's cooked. if it comes to a boil, it's definitely alcohol-free at the point.
    alcohol is 7 kcal per gram, so...that would decrease the calorie count but i'm not sure by how much. bonus!
  • Misdy
    Misdy Posts: 81 Member
    It would depend on how much you drank out of the bottle while the fish was cooking :tongue:
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Depends how long you "cook" the wine. The USDA table of nutrient factors lists retention of nutrients by cooking methods and times. Alcohol retention in wine varies from 5% to 85%. The longer you cook after adding the wine, the less alcohol and calories left. At 30 mins cooking there's 35% left (about a third), whereas a quick deglaze to make sauce - there's 75% retained.
  • well, its not the weekend so im not drinking any of the wine unfortunately, but...
    thanks for the replys i knew some of the calories must be burning oif. Its pretty much just stiiing there under a hot broiler. So if i made something in the crockpot i wont have to count the wine i add, i guess ill add lots :)
  • manjingirl
    to check if you've removed most or all of the alcohol, try lighting it on fire after it's cooked. if it comes to a boil, it's definitely alcohol-free at the point.
    alcohol is 7 kcal per gram, so...that would decrease the calorie count but i'm not sure by how much. bonus!
    Alcoholic liquids will only catch alight if they contain a high percentage of alcohol. The standard point for that is known as the proof point (about 57% alcohol). So liquids will boil, even if they contain alcohol, and the alcohol will take quite a while to boil off.
  • Misdy
    I would still count it in some manner, you're not turning wine into water (or vice versa unfortunately). :smile:
  • manjingirl
    well, its not the weekend so im not drinking any of the wine unfortunately, but...
    thanks for the replys i knew some of the calories must be burning oif. Its pretty much just stiiing there under a hot broiler. So if i made something in the crockpot i wont have to count the wine i add, i guess ill add lots :)

Ha ha ha, yes if you cook for 2.5 hours you remove about 95% of the alcohol.
  • manjingirl
    I would still count it in some manner, you're not turning wine into water (or vice versa unfortunately). :smile:

The alcohol evaporates, so it's not in the food anymore, so you don't have to count it, subject the rest of the discussion.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    It would depend on how much you drank out of the bottle while the fish was cooking :tongue:

bwahahahah this!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    In the crock pot you should actually retain more alcohol because it is covered, so it condenses back into the pot.
  • In the crock pot you should actually retain more alcohol because it is covered, so it condenses back into the pot.

good point :|
  • Misdy

The alcohol evaporates, so it's not in the food anymore, so you don't have to count it, subject the rest of the discussion.

That's interesting, so you keep the flavour and lose the calories? I'm going to start cooking everything with wine!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    I love to cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food ~
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    No matter how long you cook it, you will NEVER burn off all of the alcohol.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    I don't have any idea... too busy drinking it to use it to cook with...
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Ehhhh I just count it in full when I dump it in. A half of glass of wine is going to be under 100 calories anyway, so I'm not gonna bother trying to 'guess' how much burned off.